Texture Swapping on Static Landscape items?

FlamingMeat

Hey, I wanted to apply the LandscapePreWarWildGrass01 and LandscapePreWarLawn01 texture to all the "Grass Mound" Static objects. How would I do this considering they don't seem to draw their textures from "Landscape Textures", rather from their model filename (if I'm not mistaken)? Do I really need to open up each one and edit them individually using nifscope and photoshop? Are there any good tutorials on this?

Any help is super appreciated and I'll release it with my Placeable Grass mod.

I do not have experience in particular landscape texture. But hope you don't mind that I chime in: the easiest way I would go with is either copy or symlink the Prewar texture to replace the postwar counter part. This will, however, replace all items that pointed to this postwar texture.

But knowing FO4, the path is just more complicated as .nif doesnt always point straight at 1 static texture file but can be pointing at several material files with all kind of texture reference. Some of the outfits in FO4 uses 1 .nif file but point to 2 completely different textures (Army Fatigue and Dirty Army Fatigue). So more or less they do point at some texture, you just have to dig harder to find the link.

Hope I did offer some help.

Which program are you suggesting I link the two textures? FO4Edit or Nifscope? I have limited experience with nifscope and what you're detailing seems like you're talking about replacing the textures in FO4Edit, which I have already done and they don't apply to those constructable static objects. I have been talking with the creator of "New Landscape Grass" and what he did for his mod in no way works for this application unfortunately.

FO4 Introduces a material swap option you could use. You would need FO4Edit and Material Editor

Material files (.bgsm) contain textures (and alot of other things). Using material editor you could copy and create a new .bgsm with the texture you want to switch out. Then create a Material Swap (MSWP) with your .bgsm and link it to the static(s).

I use material swaps for several of my mods to change the appearance of fusion cores, workbench's, and a few other things that had a .nif already present I wanted use. Suppose it depends on how/what you're applying it to.

Edit-

For instance if you look at FormID 0010040C and some of the other billboards (that are static items), they use a MSWP to change some of the billboards from NukaCherry to SlocumsJoes and others.

Edited by lilkandeekid

Ohhhh, you can do that? So I'll need to make a Material Swap record for all of them or...? Because they don't have anything alocated in their 'MODS' row in FO4Edit. See FormID 0010040C For one of the mounds I am working with if you want. How would I find the .bgsm file it uses? If it even has one.

The .bgsm's seem to be located in Materials\Landscape\Grass and Materials\Landscape\Ground.

You can go threw the .nifs in Nifskope to see what .bsms they are using, it will be listed under the BSLightingShaderProperty

You'll need to make a MSWP for each .bgsm that needs to be switched, so hopefully multiple mounds use the same .bgsm's ;)