GECK is not letting me edit files.

aj7821

I was editing weapons in the GECK (they are from mods - Ahztek's weapons, BOE weapons and AWOP and its patches weapons to be specific) and when I edit certain weapons and save my mod, the changes do not save. I noticed the weapons are from AWOP-BOE patch v3 and Ahztek's Weapon Overhaul 3.1 that refuse to change. I thought at first the GECK had no permission, but when I ran the GECK as administrator it still didnt work.

Any ideas what it is?

Try and make a default New mod first and save it. close down and reopen the geck and set your default esp as active and proceed. Set the preferences to save every two minutes. Now if you are taking the weapons from an esm, good luck with that, A master file is protected and it won't allow you to tamper with it. All finalized files are protected in this way and the Geck check this.

Try and make a default New mod first and save it. close down and reopen the geck and set your default esp as active and proceed. Set the preferences to save every two minutes. Now if you are taking the weapons from an esm, good luck with that, A master file is protected and it won't allow you to tamper with it. All finalized files are protected in this way and the Geck check this.

I tried your suggestion, but the weapons still revert to the original (and they are all eps, not masters, so that isn't the problem). I suspect the author put a flag on it that you can remove in FNVEdit?

What I have to offer is advice. If the weapons you are trying to port are not from the game and are from another game, Then the data references they are associated with do not exists on your system, The geck will do as you say. If you contact the author and request the source of the data, there is a store near you where you can obtain what he used to create the weapons in the first place. Porting though is now a growing Frowned upon subject. I wish I could help you But alas, I can not. I am a fella that does not Believe in porting from else where. What you see can be created By you from the existing game sources. It's called creativity. Nif scope, Blender and a varsity of others can help you make a master piece that you can call your own. This is the Heart and sole of being a modder. You like and want something bad enough and are trying to create it, Why not accentually make it your own from scratch. This brings honor with the creation and respect from others. It also lets you know your self what can be achieved on your own. If I wanted to put the likeness of the starship Enterprise in to fallout 3 or new Vegas, I am here to tell you I am capable of doing just that with the resources that exists with in the bsa's. In either game. There is so much data that is NOT used in there it would simply blow your mind. Why? Heh it was written for multi platforms, thats why, PS3 and Xbox have different layouts and use slightly different codes. The PC version available are cut down, way down. so the data is there. you just have to extract it and use it. Bring forth a thing of beauty from your own mind and then share your creation with the world.

Are you editing and trying to save each individual mod? If so I do not know the problem and can't help.

If you are creating a new mod and copying weapons from those mods accross you will have trouble because they are boths esps, not esms and as such do not get remembered as a master file which can result in loosing many changes. To get around this open them in FNVEdit and toggle the file headers to .esm.

What I have to offer is advice. If the weapons you are trying to port are not from the game and are from another game, Then the data references they are associated with do not exists on your system, The geck will do as you say. If you contact the author and request the source of the data, there is a store near you where you can obtain what he used to create the weapons in the first place. Porting though is now a growing Frowned upon subject. I wish I could help you But alas, I can not. I am a fella that does not Believe in porting from else where. What you see can be created By you from the existing game sources. It's called creativity. Nif scope, Blender and a varsity of others can help you make a master piece that you can call your own. This is the Heart and sole of being a modder. You like and want something bad enough and are trying to create it, Why not accentually make it your own from scratch. This brings honor with the creation and respect from others. It also lets you know your self what can be achieved on your own. If I wanted to put the likeness of the starship Enterprise in to fallout 3 or new Vegas, I am here to tell you I am capable of doing just that with the resources that exists with in the bsa's. In either game. There is so much data that is NOT used in there it would simply blow your mind. Why? Heh it was written for multi platforms, thats why, PS3 and Xbox have different layouts and use slightly different codes. The PC version available are cut down, way down. so the data is there. you just have to extract it and use it. Bring forth a thing of beauty from your own mind and then share your creation with the world.

Well I do understand where you are coming from, these are simple weapon tweaks to make them more realistic and this is purely for myself only; things that only go as changing the caliber to its real life counterpart or changing the stats of the gun. I would not upload it as I do clearly know that mods uploaded to this site must be original. Also, the first I time I used Nif scope I built a glock that reloaded out the barrel and fired out the magazine... =/

Are you editing and trying to save each individual mod? If so I do not know the problem and can't help.

If you are creating a new mod and copying weapons from those mods accross you will have trouble because they are boths esps, not esms and as such do not get remembered as a master file which can result in loosing many changes. To get around this open them in FNVEdit and toggle the file headers to .esm.

No, what I exactly was doing was actually just changing weapon stats such as the name, caliber or accuracy that are wrong (being a perfectionist I just wanted to have a more realistic weapons system). I then saved the changes to "My Weapon Mod Compatch.esp." I tried adding the .esps it was modifying as a master in FNVEdit but that did not do much. While testing this I noticed that when modifying them in any way creates a duplicate of the weapon; for example:

I rename "AK-47 Kobra M" to "Kalashnikov AK-47 Kobra M". (editor id x00CalAK74M)

When I save and reload the file, I find the weapon under editor id x00CalAK74M unchanged in any way; instead I find a duplicate weapon under editor id x00CalAK74MDUPLICATE000 with my changes to x00CalAK74M.

I also noticed I can edit weapons and save changes if the modified file is an .esm, but I figured setting everything as a master in FNVEdit would likely mess something up. Maybe setting my mod as a master will do something?

Also, I did consider making the weapon mods the active file but then I would have to keep track of the weapons loaded from separate mods and if I accidentally edit something without knowing and save it, it will be implanted into the mod.

Edited by aj7821

Odd that your additions as an esp don't override the master? it should. as a master and used in the way you mentioned only, your esm would and should be above that watch you have obtained the data from. This will cause the engine to "inject your modifications into that mod thus giving you what you want. Then you must and will always have to keep track of this as Boss or any other tool used will make changes and again right back where you are now. Now if you know which cells are the exact information that contains only what you want and you have no intention to upload it, just for personal use. you can use tsnip to create a mod that contains only that code. Name the new mod with that data Default and load that into the geck and set it as active and allow the geck to recompile it. save the file and test run it. Once done and every thing is to your satisfaction. reload it into the geck and fource finalize the mod. That will take a long time by the way so if you see Geck not responding leave it be, walk away. this is known to be normal. as long as it does not crash on you, it is compiling. Now when that is finished. you can test it again. Except this time you should be able to remove the source file that was used as Geck has now placed the needed data into your file. This file can now be mastered if you wish but a master will change things Big time.

Odd that your additions as an esp don't override the master? it should. as a master and used in the way you mentioned only, your esm would and should be above that watch you have obtained the data from. This will cause the engine to "inject your modifications into that mod thus giving you what you want. Then you must and will always have to keep track of this as Boss or any other tool used will make changes and again right back where you are now. Now if you know which cells are the exact information that contains only what you want and you have no intention to upload it, just for personal use. you can use tsnip to create a mod that contains only that code. Name the new mod with that data Default and load that into the geck and set it as active and allow the geck to recompile it. save the file and test run it. Once done and every thing is to your satisfaction. reload it into the geck and fource finalize the mod. That will take a long time by the way so if you see Geck not responding leave it be, walk away. this is known to be normal. as long as it does not crash on you, it is compiling. Now when that is finished. you can test it again. Except this time you should be able to remove the source file that was used as Geck has now placed the needed data into your file. This file can now be mastered if you wish but a master will change things Big time.

I did notice that the weapons I could change were from mods with the .esm extension, and the ones I couldn't change were from mods with a .esp extension. Could this have something to do with it? If there is, is there any way to override this? But when I added the .esps as masters to my weapon tweak mod the weapon still reverted back to it's original name (and duplicated it). I feel as if there is a flag protecting it that I don't know how to remove. If there is no way around this, I will try your method with tsnip and see if that works for me.

Edited by aj7821