Drivable Car

THEBAUS

It feels bad to admit it, but I can't figure out how to make this mod. All of my friends say they don't like Fallout because there are no drivable vehicles. It would be awesome if somebody could achieve this!

I'm thinking maybe the controls would be the same as the controls to walk around (WASD). Maybe use one of the cars in the game, or even better, one of the golf carts!

Hell, even if you have to create a completely new item, that would be awesome.

In Armed Assault 2 (has anyone else played it? I highly recommend it) there are dozens of vehicles. Tanks, cars, helicopters, airplanes etc. all drivable. You can be a driver, gunner or commander in a tank etc. etc. What is the big difference between ARMA 2 engine and Fallout NV engine? What makes it so hard to have vehicles in Fallout and so easy in Arma? Both games use an open world design. If the game world continues to grow in size, then vehicles will become a necessity due to travel distances, plus they´re fun.

Besides, it would be great to have a horse (or at least a mule) or a vehicle to carry your stuff around. Oblivion had horses, why not Fallout? Are we supposed to believe that horses went extinct with the nuclear war? If there are cows and other animals in Fallout, then I say there must be horses around there somewhere.

Some said that if you make the vehicles fast enough, you may crash the Fallout engine. If this is true, then we must petition Bethesda to develop the engine further to allow for vehicles, or to switch to a more suitable engine for Fallout 4. I think the ARMA engine, Virtual Reality 4 (under development for ARMA 3) would suit Fallout just nicely. If you look at screen shots from ARMA 2 or 3, you´ll see the quality of graphics the engine can do etc. etc. I think Virtual Reality engine might suit future Fallout needs even better than the current one.

You'll likely crash the engine with a vehicle mod, because of the way Gamebryo loads and unloads cells. It wouldn't be able to handle such quick changes in scenery, and at very least, you'd have some horrific visual effects from transitioning so fast. That said, Fallout just doesn't have vehicles, really. The whole point of the game is to walk the wastes, and fight for survival. Fallout 2 had the Highwayman, which required quite a bit of work to get, and even then operated on microfusion cells, a rare ammo type usually better spent on weapons. It added a lot to the story, really, having its own quest revolving around a chop shop. Vertibirds are pretty much the only mechanized transport that seems to exist, and they stopped being common when the Enclave stopped being big. A possessed car might make for a neat enemy or something, but a functioning car? About as easy to get ahold of as an unexploded nuke, and just as dangerous. In DC, and in NV, the only cars around are junkers, all blown up or rusted out completely, from years of sitting in the wasteland, after a nuclear war. In short, it's just not how Fallout works.

What is the big difference between ARMA 2 engine and Fallout NV engine? What makes it so hard to have vehicles in Fallout and so easy in Arma?

You have to remember that the engine used in ARMA 2 was developed in-house by Bohemia Interactive and it's fair to assume that having proper vehicle physics was a top priority in the design specifications.

It's fully possible that Gamebryo might support vehicle physics as well but I doubt that functionality is included in the build used in New Vegas. Implementing it properly without access to dev tools and libraries would likely prove to be a massive task for an amateur modder.