Skyrim Fix random crash to desktop no error

Mizogucci

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm having this random CTD no error problem. I haven't been playing much Skyrim since December, and just started playing again like a day before the newest patch came out. I never had this issue before, I'm wondering if the new patch that just came out did something that is causing this to happen in my particular case...I've tried pretty much every fix in this thread with no results. Is anyone else having this problem suddenly since the patch came out??

Mine just suddenly started today after it auto patched up to 1.4.21. (Even though it's set not to auto patch but whatever Steam)

I hadn't ever had a CTD before today. In fact I hadn't had any performance issues at all even with SkyrimHD, Vurt's Skyrim Flora, and RWT, along with tons of other hi res mods. Then suddenly tonight I get on to play and bam...4 CTD's in a row, no errors. Once opening a chest, and the other 3 times opening doors. Always happened right where it would normally go to loading screen. Only change (besides) is removing Script Dragon and the only mod I had relating to it (Dragon Souls to Perks) temporarily until Script Dragon is updated..

Just a little update, after my post last night I went into ffdshow, specifically for my system:

ffdshow audio decoder (x64)

ffdshow DXVA video decoder (x64)

ffdshow video decoder

(the non x64 audio decoder I have never been able to get to open on this system...not sure why)

Then, I went into "DirectShow control" on each of them. Went to the drop down for "Don't use ffdshow in:" (And checked the box if it wasn't checked already) and added TESV.exe, SkyrimLauncher.exe, and skse_loader.exe to the lists.

Saw this fix earlier in the thread and figured it couldn't hurt. Earlier guy didn't have skse_loader.exe in there but I decided might as well keep it all consistently not using ffdshow at all.(not that skse would make much use of it, but it's not like it can hurt)

As yet my crashes which had been happening every 5 minutes or less after the patch seem to have gone away entirely.

Crossing my fingers that this is my solution.

As for egamar's 2p on this fix, I'd just be inclined to say that each problem for each user can be different on different hardware. Also depending on if you install your mods properly or not. Such as only using NMM, it's solid advice for newbies, but you should still double check NMM's work. It isn't infallible by any means and even if the mod has a "Download with Manager" button I've had NMM put stuff in the wrong places a couple times. Using a mod manager will never guarantee success. I constantly had to double check in OBMM and MMM (In fact I plain stopped using MMM and switched to Wrye Mash)

Just a little update, after my post last night I went into ffdshow, specifically for my system:

ffdshow audio decoder (x64)

ffdshow DXVA video decoder (x64)

ffdshow video decoder

(the non x64 audio decoder I have never been able to get to open on this system...not sure why)

Then, I went into "DirectShow control" on each of them. Went to the drop down for "Don't use ffdshow in:" (And checked the box if it wasn't checked already) and added TESV.exe, SkyrimLauncher.exe, and skse_loader.exe to the lists.

Saw this fix earlier in the thread and figured it couldn't hurt. Earlier guy didn't have skse_loader.exe in there but I decided might as well keep it all consistently not using ffdshow at all.(not that skse would make much use of it, but it's not like it can hurt)

As yet my crashes which had been happening every 5 minutes or less after the patch seem to have gone away entirely.

Crossing my fingers that this is my solution.

As for egamar's 2p on this fix, I'd just be inclined to say that each problem for each user can be different on different hardware. Also depending on if you install your mods properly or not. Such as only using NMM, it's solid advice for newbies, but you should still double check NMM's work. It isn't infallible by any means and even if the mod has a "Download with Manager" button I've had NMM put stuff in the wrong places a couple times. Using a mod manager will never guarantee success. I constantly had to double check in OBMM and MMM (In fact I plain stopped using MMM and switched to Wrye Mash)

I'm going to try this, since you're the only other person I've seen so far that's been having problems only since the patch, and you're using a lot of the same mods I am. So far I haven't done anything with ffdshow. I'll report back in a while on how it goes.

EDIT: Except I can't find anything called ffdshow anywhere on my computer >_<

Edited by ethervagabond

i just reinstalled skyrim, got no mods at all, everything is vanilla version, and it still crashes to desktop with no error so it can't be any mods it got to do with the pach or something, that's my theory.

anyone have any suggestions?

and the talk aboute "ffdshow" i just have one question: "WHERE TO I FIND IT?"

Edited by Wastew

i just reinstalled skyrim, got no mods at all, everything is vanilla version, and it still crashes to desktop with no error so it can't be any mods it got to do with the pach or something, that's my theory.

There's a post earlier in the thread that says where to find it, but not everyone has it. I did a search for it on my comp and found nothing. It's some kind of video codec.

This patch is crap. I've never had any problems before it. In fact, this was the most stable Bethesda game I'd ever played, until now.

EDIT: I haven't tried going back to vanilla yet myself, but I just found out the version of SKSE they released for the 1.4 patch was flawed and they've updated it, maybe this will help.

Edited by ethervagabond

There's a post earlier in the thread that says where to find it, but not everyone has it. I did a search for it on my comp and found nothing. It's some kind of video codec.

This patch is crap. I've never had any problems before it. In fact, this was the most stable Bethesda game I'd ever played, until now.

EDIT: I haven't tried going back to vanilla yet myself, but I just found out the version of SKSE they released for the 1.4 patch was flawed and they've updated it, maybe this will help.

i agree, when this patch came everything crashed.

oh and i just tryed to make a new char and it worked fine, so then i gues it got somthing to do with the pach and the mods not cooperate right together, it's my new theory. don't know if something like that exist but it's something.

oh and please tell me if it worked.

Edited by Wastew

I should have specified that ffdshow is a thing only some people will have. ffdshow is a codec used for encoding and decoding audio and video for several different audio/video formats. Only people who deal with converting and encoding weird video and audio formats are likely to have it. (ie I put Fraps stuff into 3GP for my phone so I can play it on there)

My theory would be that it's likely my system in itself had no conflict with the current patch, it was more than likely caused by that decoder trying to kick in since I did have it. I had already updated SKSE when it was unstable on my system, it helped, but not a lot. That's why I'm guessing in my case it was related to the ffdshow change.

Today it seemed to smooth out even more with an update of Script Dragon. Not sure why, could be unrelated actually as the only ScriptDragon based mod I have is not performance related in the least.

Edited by Ti74Raven