Running Skyrim on PC with a PS3 controller

Chompy007

Hey guys!

I've been playing Skyrim on the PC for awhile and I've loved it. However I've recently taken to playing PC games with a PS3 controller, and it's made things even more enjoyable. The PS3 controller is hooked up to the computer through the programs MotioninJoy, which has the drivers, and ControlMK, which maps the controls as PC controls. This work as sort of an external keyboard and mouse, and the joysticks and buttons are mapped especially for whatever game I play. It's been working flawlessly.

Recently, I decided to try a PS3 controller with Skyrim, which I've been having a few control problems with. Although I'm sure the joysticks and buttons are working fine, anytime I'll open up Skyrim they'll immediately stop working. The PS3 controller is being recognised as a keyboard and mouse, so I can't see why Skyrim in particular would not accept it. The controller has been working for every game on my PC but Skyrim appears to be the exception. If anyone has a solution for this error, I'd be very grateful if they'd share it with me.

(Sorry, I know this is very particular to the programs I'm running but I've heard quite a few people are using PS3 controllers the same way.)

Thanks ahead of time.

I'd say stick with the mouse and keyboard, because PC versions of games don't have the annoying "Aim Assist" that consoles have so it will be a bit harder for you.

As for why it doesn't work, I'm not sure. I have a xBox controller and that doesn't want to work either so I'm guessing its something in the coding.

Cheers!

Chompy007, I have two Logitech controllers. Would you please provide your ControlMK config files for skyrim? I will try this setup on my machines to see if we can reproduce the same issues. I will add to this by stating my issue which includes my gaming pad [a small keyboard], my macros do not work well with the game. Sometimes Skyrim takes the macros and other times does nothing at all. So let's see if ControlMK does any better.

I use AfterGlow Xbox 360 Gamepad

Gamepad is the term they use for using a controller on the PC (I have learned this)

Works flawlessly for me so far without the need of external programs. I plug+play+go.

Though I think I downloaded an official microsoft driver for gamepads on pc.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think I can blame this on the patch, yet ironically around noon my ps3 controller stopped working. The only way I know of to use a ps3 controller to play Skyrim (or any game) on the pc is to use MotionJoy DS3 tool. I have been playing since the day this game was released with my ps3 controller through MotionJoy with minimal issues, yet now when I plug in the ps3 controller I get the following message:

"USB Device Not Recognized - one of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message."

I click the message and there is no real help.

I went through device manager and found that I am getting error 43, and through google I found this link:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx

I tried the Microsoft Fix It tool which recognized my problems but again had no solution.

After hours of searching and trying resolutions (including uninstalling and reinstalling MotionJoy and drivers) I can't figure it out...

There is no way for me to play with my setup without using my trusty ps3 controller, if anyone knows of any other programs to use a ps3 controller on pc or how to resolve my issue I would definitely appreciate it.

• 1 month later...

I have not tried Mod myself.

There is a mod on site that helps redo key symbols and fixes a few issues with ps3 controllers.

I own Ps3, meant to try it on Skyrim (it was never really fluid like it was on ps3/360...so figure 3rd time the try. )

Do you happen to own Ps3 version? is analog smooth like it is normally? or jumpy?

I had 360 controller, picked up PC version of OB, but it was so blasted skippy.. i had force myself to learn KB play(hate KB play..)

There is no way for me to play with my setup without using my trusty ps3 controller, if anyone knows of any other programs to use a ps3 controller on pc or how to resolve my issue I would definitely appreciate it.

There is a program called Xpadder, try to find one of the older versions from when it was free.

@enjelsama, it is also skippy on xbox, it is because the dev's one patch played with the y-axis speed, which originally was pretty slow, and now it isn't smooth. I find whenever i look diagonally, it seems to have this stupid jagged motion... because instead of being (x:y) 1:1 it now moves up at a 1:1.3.

Edited by Skibblets