Did you kill Paarthurnax?

Pineapplerum

I Killed him, because as he said, "dohwakhin is wise to never trust a dova" (typos ino) and heres a couple of reasons why i deemed it worth killing him.

* You get your hands on Dragonbane (Awesome katana sword doing extra damage to dragons)

* Permanent buff to make slaying dragons easier (Esbern will offer you this after first Blade quest)

* Even with Parthurnax dead you will keep the chosen Meditation word, just make sure you choose the one you like the best, in my case Fus (Force with no effort)

* 6 x clean Blades Sword's for experimenting with the (imo) most stylish 1h wpn in game. (Yes yes i know not the highest damage sword but youll be overpowered in no time anyways in this game)

* A legit way to remove those annoying housecarls by simply allowing them to be recruited by Blades

* You will now have a Follower camp with 3 followers to choose from in the same spot, quite convenient imo.

* Esbern is cool, and voice acted by a danish actor (im danish :thumbsup: )

Other than that those damn hippie-graybeards looking down from their High Hrothgar with despise on us the people fighting a war against dragons, vampires and Empire (altmerian dominion is kill on sight for me!)

•  
  • [FACT] You can get the Dragonbane without killing Paarthurnax, just walk into the room and pick it up. Along with a full Blades set.
  • [iMO] I don't need a buff to slay Dragons easier.. I can almost 1-hit them already and with Dragonrend, things could not be easier.
  • [iMO] It's better to be able to meditate any word you want, anytime you want. And more RP as well. I don't find it a useful argument though, the meditating words are not crucial parts of the game.
  • [FACT] It's not a bad sword but I find your argument about it being the most stylish, invalid. Yes it looks nice but have you got your hands on the Ebony Blade yet? Much much better looking than Blades Sword.
  • [iMO] I just leave my housecarls at my houses. It's nice to walk in and not stumble into an empty-miserable place. My housecarl walking around while I do my stuff gives me a warm feeling. :)

Although, I admit I'd like to see the Blades growing in numbers (if that's really the case after killing Paarthurnax), I still am not a traitor, it's not the kind of character I've built up all the way to 80 levels.

And even though I like Esbern, I couldn't care less what his actor's origin is, or if he lived next to me, when I play the game I'm the Dragonborn and he's Esbern, we're both from somewhere in Tamriel or whatever.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a quick reply: the killing dragon buff that Esbern gives you wears off just like the temporary abilities you get while praying at an altar (i think it lasts 2 days? not sure on that). Either way, it's beyond useless unless you're a low level. Actually not even then, as dragons level up with you and the difficulty in killing them decreases in time but not by much.

As others have said, you can get the Dragonbane and a full set of Blades armor the first time you enter the temple.

Actually, if you get Dragonbane at lvl 46+ it will have damage equivalent to a daedric sword (base damage), and has the advantage of being improvable under a considerably lower smithing perk (steel i think, with a quicksilver ingot). Thus if you went the light armor route with smithing that's a sword as powerful as a daedric without having to use the relevant perks.

The game was clearly designed so as not to force you to kill Paarthurnax, the only things you lose are the potion and buff from Esbern which don't help much anyway.

Anyway, I'm personally disappointed in Delphine, I think she should be replaced as a leader of the Blades. Too much prejudice, anger and she forgets her place, as many many people have noticed on this thread:)

I hope Bethesda Notice this Thread or if there is one like this at the Bethesda Forums, i am at the point now where i must Kill Par and i will Not do it. :yucky:

Apparently there was a Script Error where you needed to Peacefully Rescue that guy from the Thalmor, hence there is no way to get him out, so i hope this is also a Script Error and not meant to be Forced on the player. :(

I like that quest's realism. It's a very depressing quest and not fun, so it's one of the things that ruins the main quest, but I do appreciate that it is a lot like real life: idiotic, boring and a true test of what kind of character you're role-playing.

Here's the thing, though: If you're role-playing a character who's thoughtful and intelligent enough to get the main quest to that point in the first place, why would that character ever murder anyone, dragon or not? It's interesting, the kind of hang ups people have rather than admit that maybe the one obviously wrong option is just maniacal genocide.

totally agree with you guys, i thought the blades where cool and just, but by the way they talk they think someone has no right to repent for their sins, or mainly just becouse you're a dragon, if thats the case, why the heck did they protect the ancestor of someone who became a dragon namely talos AKA tiber septim, though he doesnt age he's still flesh and blood so mistakes are made, i really wish i could actually speak my mind to deplhine and esbern becouse it aint right at all, parthunax spend centuries alone on that mountain to repent for his past actions, and this is how the blades thank him, just for fun i should start my oblivion save again and make the blades extinct.

Something weird is going on. :confused:

I ran around Skyrim and decided to go kill a Dragon at a Word Wall just for the fun of it, then my Journal Updated witch tells me to go to Esbern.

Upon arriving, Esbern and the Blonde Chick went into Attack Mode over something that isent even there.

I left and saw them both standing next to me, so i clicked on the Blonde Chick when all of a sudden she tells me i did a good thing in Killing Par.

I Fast Travelled to High Hrothgar and he was sitting happily on his Mountain Top, so is this some kind of Bug.

Something weird is going on. :confused:

I ran around Skyrim and decided to go kill a Dragon at a Word Wall just for the fun of it, then my Journal Updated witch tells me to go to Esbern.

Upon arriving, Esbern and the Blonde Chick went into Attack Mode over something that isent even there.

I left and saw them both standing next to me, so i clicked on the Blonde Chick when all of a sudden she tells me i did a good thing in Killing Par.

I Fast Travelled to High Hrothgar and he was sitting happily on his Mountain Top, so is this some kind of Bug.

That gives me thoughts..

Anyone has the setstage command for this quest? I'd like to experiment with it, like complete the quest without having to kill Paar..

EDIT: Note: On PC it is possible to complete this quest without killing Paarthurnax by using the console command setstage MQPaarthurnax 100. Paarthurnax will remain alive, the Greybeards will still be hospitable, and the Blades will talk to you once more.

Source: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Paarthurnax

Edited by BlancoCreed

I just thought of something interesting when after the MQ, there could be Dragons sitting around the Mountain Top for Realism sake that would give the indication Par is teaching them the True Voice while there are still Evil Dragons out there for Soul Absorbing. :P

Not sure if there is such a Mod already, but its a nice idea for the CK :)

I just thought of something interesting when after the MQ, there could be Dragons sitting around the Mountain Top for Realism sake that would give the indication Par is teaching them the True Voice while there are still Evil Dragons out there for Soul Absorbing. :P

Not sure if there is such a Mod already, but its a nice idea for the CK :)

After the MQ, there's a dragon constantly flying above Paarthurnax and he keeps staring at him for some reason. No idea why.. But yea, I liked the scene when I came back from Sovngarde and there were a bunch of dragons waiting for me there.. I was like.. MIIIINE :woot:

Anyway, I bypassed the Blades quest using the console command I posted above.. Paar is alive, Greybeards believe I've got Kynareth's wisdom, Blades are co-operative, everything's good. I even brought Erik the Slayer and my 2 male housecarls to join the Blades, then all 4 of us went to a dragon's lair and threw a kebab party.. Good times.

That Dragon flying in circles is Odaviin, but it would still make it more believable to have a bunch of Dragons sitting around though. :P

Im not gonna mess with the Console if we are either meant to Kill Par or its a Missing Scriptline for him to be saved. :mellow: