Lets talk about sex....in Skyrim

Modslave

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I did not play any of the ME games I did play Oblivion and installed the Viconia (from Baldurs Gate) mod and played it all the way thru. In the beginning you had to earn her trust and you develop a relationship as time went on and in the end you could marry her. You could have sex with her but it wasn't graphical just descriptive. It would be nice to see similar adult oriented mods like that created for Skyrim but more graphical.

well, with the implemantation of marriage in Skyrim, I think its a logical move to implement also sensual and sexual relations. Just think of the "Lovers Comfort" perk you can get.

I personally am very open-minded towards any idea of deepening NPC-Player Relations and look forward to the creativity modders will undoubtely show in this matter.

I agree. But so far Bethesda has always held the position of prefering to do it their way (large worlds, lots of NPCs, less depth to NPCs). It is one of the two flaws left in the series, in my opinion (apart from the bugs). The first being that every game you start completely again, which removes any attachments you had in the previous game (who else can't wait for ME3 because of the continuing story/characters?). The other being the lack of detailed companions. Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age... even Ultima for those that remember it. The best RPGs have always had companions that make you feel like you have friends in the game. Makes it more real. Strangely enough, the Elder Scrolls continues to be the best RPG out there despite that, but despite its depth, size, mods, quests, etc... I was still looking forward to Mass Effect 3 more than Skyrim.

Seeing the changes that Bioware have made in the past I'm not terribly hopeful for ME3. I might be pleasantly surprised but I doubt it.

As for companions? I feel they have almost no place in any elder scrolls game. Or fallout. They always just got in my way. I would either tell them to wait at the entrance to a dungeon and use them as pack mules or just not use them at all.

I agree. But so far Bethesda has always held the position of prefering to do it their way (large worlds, lots of NPCs, less depth to NPCs). It is one of the two flaws left in the series, in my opinion (apart from the bugs). The first being that every game you start completely again, which removes any attachments you had in the previous game (who else can't wait for ME3 because of the continuing story/characters?). The other being the lack of detailed companions. Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age... even Ultima for those that remember it. The best RPGs have always had companions that make you feel like you have friends in the game. Makes it more real. Strangely enough, the Elder Scrolls continues to be the best RPG out there despite that, but despite its depth, size, mods, quests, etc... I was still looking forward to Mass Effect 3 more than Skyrim.

Seeing the changes that Bioware have made in the past I'm not terribly hopeful for ME3. I might be pleasantly surprised but I doubt it.

As for companions? I feel they have almost no place in any elder scrolls game. Or fallout. They always just got in my way. I would either tell them to wait at the entrance to a dungeon and use them as pack mules or just not use them at all.

I'm pretty sure his point was that Bethesda followers are indeed pretty pointless, and that's bad. His solution seems to be "make it more like Bioware" even though he acknowledges Bioware games to be generally inferior, but that doesn't mean he's totally lacking in good points. Followers could really use some work, as could marriages and characters in general.

A lot of this issue comes down to balance. Instant gratification vs earned. Scenarios and situations should be contextual. One prime example is the Whiterun player home. Thinking about things 'realistically' if the Jarl discovered an outsider who could defend his city and people from a dragon they would more than likely encourage that person to stay with them. Saying that they have the option to purchase property is not a realistic outcome. If I was the Jarl, I'd do anything in my power to keep that person as close as possible - which would mean a free accomodation, a tab at the inn and as many feisty wenches as necessary ;)

Lynda the Housecarl does address some of that, just not a lot. Lynda represents a non-earned relationship that is open to growth or abuse - depending on your character. However, none of these relationships have been exploited (in a game mechanic sense).

Your spouse just shares cash, ending each line with 'love'. If you have your spouse as a companion (Aela for example) there is no crossover - if you choose a companion order in dialogue there is no indication of the level of relationship - it is purely two systems (marriage and follower) mashed together with no thought on comibination.

In fact, the very nature of the marriage system is just an excuse for the lack of effort put into personal relationships in game: "You look pretty/You look handsome - the world is a harsh place, it's a surprise there is any procreation - let's get hitched". It's lazy developer bulls***, plain and simple.

I urge mod authors to take time and not rush out releases - we've all had a long practice run in Oblivion and Fallout - let's use that to bring the quality and immersion that (i think) this new engine is capable of.

I feel i should point out that contextual sex doesn't automatically imply deep plots and developing realtionships. It's said that the oldest profession is prostitution, and i see no reason to dissagree with that. If you wanted to create an honest representation of sex in the world, you'd have to include prostitutes, and generally speaking most players are likely to go for the quick deal than the long process of courtship. As such, in creating an honest representation of contextual sex, you're likely to invalidate your goal in the first place.

I feel i should point out that contextual sex doesn't automatically imply deep plots and developing realtionships. It's said that the oldest profession is prostitution, and i see no reason to dissagree with that. If you wanted to create an honest representation of sex in the world, you'd have to include prostitutes, and generally speaking most players are likely to go for the quick deal than the long process of courtship. As such, in creating an honest representation of contextual sex, you're likely to invalidate your goal in the first place.

If you take Bioware games as an example, how many players went for the companions that required courtship instead of just providing easy sex?

And if there is a mod that includes sex and romance, some people will download it for the sex and some for the romance. People aren't really going to call for a mod involving courtship, and then abandon all the courtship dialogue to have easy meaningless sex with a prostitute.

Perhaps there should be some thought on location

I don't want the local farmers wife to drop panties with a single word (unless I am like kickass with my illusionist spell), but I don't want to have to romance someone at a brothel before I get a peck on the cheek...so, I think all in its place is the best call.

in a wartorn area like skyrim (consider it...you have first off the imperial v stormcloak war, dragons, just the daily life in a harsh and unforgiving land), you are bound to have some very steamy and raunchy areas indoors in areas. People tend to indulge far more in simple pleasures when the shtf senarios are playing out for any extended period of time...however, this does not mean the whole place is a brothel...it means there are such varying degrees of personalitys. that total butch xena type chick may also partake in some wild nights at the whiterun brothel...like vegas, nobody asks questions, nobody speaks of what they saw..from peasent to prince, they all go there from time to time...but out in the streets, you better be well on your game