Enhanced Civil War Gameplay

horberg

I've always found weird that in a war for all Skyrim, all military presence you find are camps with 10 or less units. The war is so downscaled that it almost feels like a larp skirmish.

That's obviously because of restrictions related to cpu capacity

Nonsense. This is because all of Skyrim is scaled down. But the point is something can be done about it.

Along the lines of patrolling and such, you should be able to make roads safer by having them be patrolled. Unsafe roads means more bandits, bears, trolls etc. And the enemy can intercept your couriers, and you can intercept theirs. You should be able to hire spires to masquerade as Imperial couriers too... this has a ton of potential and could be really cool.

Thanks for the kind words, as I said, I really hope some modder will like it as much as I do

Along the lines of patrolling and such, you should be able to make roads safer by having them be patrolled. Unsafe roads means more bandits, bears, trolls etc. And the enemy can intercept your couriers, and you can intercept theirs. You should be able to hire spires to masquerade as Imperial couriers too... this has a ton of potential and could be really cool.

Thanks, and sure, I think roads overall has potential.

The ideas listed are really great, but, to me, seem unlikely to actually be implemented with the exception of a "more soldiers" mod. I feel like that is sorely needed in Skyrim. Although I may be uninformed, I don't see why Oblivion should be compared to Skyrim since Skyrim has a different engine that may be capable of more things we haven't seen. Bigger armies, bigger battles...I remember in a game called S.T.A.L.K.E.R., there were mods made that essentially removed everything but the factions, making the game into a real battlefield, it was pretty impressive, not to mention a definitely stimulating and consistently surprising change. The AI's tend to do interesting things and had a way of acting more human. Then again, I'm an optimist. It's simply my opinion that Skyrim could surely pull of half of that bug ridden STALKER game's potential in this area.

And thinking on it, I think I remember some pretty big wars going on in Fallout and New Vegas...This seems very feasible.

Yeah agreed, this mod has a ton of potential, the civil war quests were very flat, when you finally kill Ulfric/Tullius it just ends... there's no big celebration or decree or things that change to a humongous extent, like when the imperials finally win, I was expecting a parade or imperial banners flying everywhere, or public executions or something...

We need to see the effect of the war on Skyrim, both during and after.

and like others have said, your suddenly promoted to (insert appropriate rank name here) and yay!...you have a title that means jack nothing, I'd like to see an castle or fort that you can command or improve, that you have to run on a regular basis or it fall into disarray...

Like maybe instead of pitching tents and stuff(which would take a ton of scripting not to mention pathing and scripting problems) your character could get a fort when they reach the appropriate rank, then they have to run this fort, upgrade it, hire soldiers for it etc etc.

maybe we could even customize the fort to your style, like you know in fallout 3 your homes could be "themed" maybe your fort could be themed?

Like say to a battlemage fort, or a scout/ranger fort or even a tyrant/warlord style fort with blood and guts strewn everywhere?

and even as the mod develops we could theme the soldiers of your fort too?

This sounds very interesting. All these ideas are incredible but the scope might be prohibitively intense. I am wondering if some things can be resolved. For instance, by incorporating important in-game characters could more text and voice acting be believable implemented? I suppose a new character could be added, but it might take away from the immersion that leaders don't mention the new missions. In fact, it might be better to scale down the contact with Ulfric or Tullius, to make it seem like you aren't privileged with extended contact.

-edit- Thought of a solution. Add a new character as a direct courier and receive letters from Ulfric or another general. Get words from generals and a character to relay orders. -edit-

It could be simplified with a system of resource management. You have a number of soldiers (scouts, soldiers, special ops, hunters, recruiters, etc) who can do a certain number of tasks (recon, defense, recruitment, raids, pillaging, ambush, etc) over a number of days (half a week or something). That way it is more defined and regimented.

Depending on the task, soldiers become more skilled. As you do more missions and improve in rank and reputation, more people recruit, more funds are given, local villages, mines, etc provide resources, and you are given more opportunities to improve your camp and do more significant operations. You would shift from small scale harassment to the larger scale battles.

While it is tempting to add even more scope; new followers, new weapons, new locations to name a few, it should definitely initially rely on just on redefining the civil war mechanics, characters, and outcomes. Once that is achieved, other aspects can be addressed.

I hope that it is possible to implement such a system, maybe the creation kit will make it possible.

I have never modded before but would be willing to do what I can to help if anyone out there is making this a reality.

Edited by ubergrover