Toggle Always Run Is Killing Me

kberling

I've read all kinds of complaints and problems by others about Skyrim, especially concerning the PC user interface (which sucks like nothing has ever sucked in this world), and I've shared most of those problems. But I've not seen anyone mention "Toggle Always Run." In my game, the computer frequently switches on its own between run = W and run = Shift + W (I prefer run = Shift + W). Enter a new room, it switches. Go to a cutscene crtical kill during combat, it switches. Talk to somebody, it switches. Loot a body, same thing. This is literally getting me killed since I'll come out of a cutscene or enter a room needing to run only to find that I'm now walking and I have to hit caps lock to switch back. Very little margin for error in this game during combat which is fine but only so long as the game itself isn't sabotaging your efforts.

I'm asking about this because, since no one else has mentioned it, I'm wondering if the problem is specific to my set up. For me, this is really taking all the fun out of the game.

Edited by kberling

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're not the only one.

My run seems to toggle itself on when and where it wants to. I'll turn it off, save a game, exit Skyrim. Come back later and load up the game and hey presto! Run is back on... :mellow:

I know it may seem stupid....

But if you hit CAPSLOCK it will toggle Auto Run on and off.

So in effect, it turns your SHIFT key from RUN... WALK.... RUN.... WALK

If you don't notice you pressed CAPS then you are messing with yourself :biggrin:

Right. CapLock is the default key for "Toggle Always Run". But what I'm saying, what is happening to me, is that in effect, capslock is turning itself on and off.

I know it may seem stupid....

But if you hit CAPSLOCK it will toggle Auto Run on and off.

So in effect, it turns your SHIFT key from RUN... WALK.... RUN.... WALK

If you don't notice you pressed CAPS then you are messing with yourself :biggrin:

Right. CapLock is the default key for "Toggle Always Run". But what I'm saying, what is happening to me, is that in effect, capslock is turning itself on and off.

Got a hair trigger capslock you're just brushing with your finger when it's on the "A" key sometimes?

Thanks for the input. But I'm not touching my capslock key. Not even close. I've been playing Elder Scrolls games on PC for over 7 years and I know what keys I'm pushing. When I open a save or continue, I do set the capslock key to "on" because I like to run with the shift key depressed (shift + w = run/w = walk). Then, if I stop and look at my map for example, or go through a door or talk to someone or fast travel, etc., etc., etc., without touching the capslock key or even coming close to it (it is still set to "on" as verified by the light at the upper right of my keyboard), then shift + w is now = to walk, and w is = to run. So I reset the capslock key. Go through 5 interactions for example and it works just fine (shift + w = run). Go through another one and whammmo: shift + w now equals walk again. This happens back and forth over and over again. Possibly I would not be having a problem at all if I just settled for the defualt w= run/shift + w = walk. But then what in the heck is the point of even having a "toggle always run" key if you can't use it without it switching back and forth on its own.