Yggdrasil-Pronunciation??

kungfubellydancer

So how do you pronounce the word "Yggdrasil"? :wallbash: In my mind I call it ig-druh-SYL, but I think its more like egg-DRAY-zul. Can someone please clarify, or just give me the right pronunciation please?

Thank you!

(In case you were wondering, Yggdrasil is the tree of life in Norse Mythology. Yay Midgard!)

(This is a bit hard to describe, so bear with me.) For the pronunciation, it has always sounded like this to me:

ig-DRAH-se-il (this last double syllable must be pronounced fluidly like one sound, like the French "ciel", meaning sky)

In Norse mythology, Yggdrasil (Old Norse Yggdrasill, IPA: [ˈyɡˌdrasilː]; the extra -l is a nominative case marker) is the World Tree, a great ash tree located at the center of the universe and joining the nine worlds of Norse cosmology. The trunk of the tree may be thought of as forming a vertical axis around which these worlds are situated, with Ásgard, realm of the gods, at the top and the Hel, located in Niflheim, at the bottom. Midgard, the world of mortals, is located in the middle and surrounded by Jötunheim, land of giants, both of which are separated by the ocean. Yggdrasil is also sometimes known as Mimameid or Laerad.

quoted from the Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil

I still can't belive I made contact with the Site Bot.

I mean just look at all the kudos that guy has.

Stormraven

In Norse mythology, Yggdrasil (Old Norse Yggdrasill, IPA: [ˈyɡˌdrasilː]; the extra -l is a nominative case marker) is the World Tree, a great ash tree located at the center of the universe and joining the nine worlds of Norse cosmology. The trunk of the tree may be thought of as forming a vertical axis around which these worlds are situated, with Ásgard, realm of the gods, at the top and the Hel, located in Niflheim, at the bottom. Midgard, the world of mortals, is located in the middle and surrounded by Jötunheim, land of giants, both of which are separated by the ocean. Yggdrasil is also sometimes known as Mimameid or Laerad.

quoted from the Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yggdrasil

I still can't belive I made contact with the Site Bot.

I mean just look at all the kudos that guy has.

Stormraven

You know, I actually was gonna post this up at first, but KungFu already knows that ;D

Thank you guys for your help, but it seems you guys aren't sure because you say stuff like "I think". I really just need the true pronunciation, not an interpretation. Thank you Storm for the info but I already know all about it.

...well I also like Norse mythology quite a bit, and I recall hearing it pronounced like Ninja said in a documentary. That's also how I would intuitively pronounce it, so I suppose it's true. It also resembles how Germanic languages would pronounce it nowadays. Try not thinking of it as an English word, English is very bad at pronouncing foreign words.

Archived