Magic Menu Crashes

bruceytots

Every time I try and open the magic menu on my main character, the game crashes to the desktop with no error messages. The issue seems to be isolated to one character, including old saves. I had no problems until I restarted my computer yesterday. I've tried learning new spells, sleeping, quick traveling, but nothing works. I've also removed all mods, verified the game on steam, uninstalled from steam, and re-installed. I've tried QD Inventory for a different magic menu, but still no luck.

A while back I went to a word wall and learned "□□" - those rectangles that appear when a font isn't supported. I unlocked it and it turned out to be disarm, although I already had the "Disarm" shout too. It never affected the game, but I think this might be part of the problem now.

Is there a way to edit my save and see what is crashing the magic menu? Or remove all learned spells, powers, and shouts through the console? I'd rather not have to restart my character, as this is very gamebreaking.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by bruceytots

There's no way do edit save files right now.

You said that you have this problem only on one character. Maybe you installed some mods that added special spells or shouts to the game (Like Midas), and after you uninstalled them the game cannot find them and it crashes.

Either that, or it's save corruption and there's nothing you can do about that.

EDIT: Also, have you been experimenting with the console? Adding shouts/spells with it can cause problems.

Backup your saves often in a separate folder away from your original saves.

Edited by Iv000

This same problem happened to me today, played the game 2 days ago and the last thing I did was fight (BRAWL) an Orc chieftain in one of the strongholds, saved the game and went to work.

I don't use magic but I do use shouts and well... Stuck with Aura Whisper for now.

Any help is appreciated.

p.s.

I've waited in game, zoned in and out of structures and fast traveled, I also tried it with no mods running. Basically I've done everything I read about this bug and tried the said recommendations.

Eek! That doesn't sound good. I have a few questions that might allow me to figure out a solution to your problem:

1. Do you have a save prior to when you learned that mysterious rectangle disarm shout? If so, load that save and try going back to the word wall and seeing if you can reproduce the issue.

2. You had all the words for disarm, and then you learned a mysterious "fourth" one, am I understanding correctly?

3. Which word-wall location did you learn the glitched shout from?

4. Did you get an assignment from the Greybeards to find the "Source of Power..." that led you to the wall?

Eek! That doesn't sound good. I have a few questions that might allow me to figure out a solution to your problem:

1. Do you have a save prior to when you learned that mysterious rectangle disarm shout? If so, load that save and try going back to the word wall and seeing if you can reproduce the issue.

2. You had all the words for disarm, and then you learned a mysterious "fourth" one, am I understanding correctly?

3. Which word-wall location did you learn the glitched shout from?

4. Did you get an assignment from the Greybeards to find the "Source of Power..." that led you to the wall?

1. No previous saves that far back. I have my current (lvl 50) save and an old (lvl 30s) save. Both crash. I got that weird shot really early on in my game.

2. No, they were two separate shouts. I had Disarm and its 3 words and then □□ with its own 3 (□□, □□, □□). I fully unlocked each and □□ was exactly the same as disarm (same effects, audio, etc.)

3. I don't remember, sorry. It was close to Riften (south-east), I think.

4. I had not gone to the greybeards. I had not even started the main quest, other than the Helgen part. I went to Riften, did part of the theives guild quest line, a little bit of the dark brotherhood quests, and then triggered the dragon spawn at Whiterun. I was around the retrieve the horn part when the magic menu started crashing.

im running into the exact same problem . and it make the game 100% unplayable cause i dont but 1 spell on favorites and 1 shout which seems to be the only way i can access them is through the favorites. i had tytanis, deadly dragons and midas, and i still had them but it just started happening and i have uninstalled reinstalled all mods plus game. really would rather not have to start over cause i am currently lvl 56 and just about halfway through theives guild quest and would really rather not start over

I'm having the same issue. Some say it is due to eating stacks of identical foods but that is fixed by waiting until the perks time out, I've also tried learining new spells to see if it would 'reset.'

One possibility I have thought of, maybe the perks from the food somehow looped and they are not timing out. Does anyone know a console command to remove all temporary perks? If so I'll test and let you guys know what happens.