[WIP] Belua Sanguinare Revisited

Jakisthe

-Skill: This seems the most drastic of your proposed ideas. I'm not sure how I feel about it...on the one hand, it does consolidate vampirism, but on the other is based advancement on doing any-old experience gaining activities. Which can be fine, but for vampirism, seems the best choice for advancement is...well, acting vampiric, no? Giving in, as it were?

Thank you so much for the feedback! I have a circus of family and friends here today so not much time but I did want to quickly comment on skill. "...seems the best choice for advancement is...well, acting vampiric". EXACTLY. This is why I lean toward being a skill as the form of advancement. As you use your vampiric powers, your skill goes up. Rather than tie certain spells and abilities to Illusion, Destruction, etc,. it would be tied to the Vampirism skill. Because parts of implemention are, more or less, roleplay or passive abilities, then perhaps time could also be a factor in increasing the skill but it needs to be tied to more than just being able to "Abuse the wait system" to advanced. Maybe feeding would be the requirement+time = skill increase, but maybe only an advancement every 24 game hours. i.e. repetitive feeding would keep your lifeforce up, but really only advance your skill a bit every 24 hour period.

Thanks again!

-MM

Edited by MofoMojo

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Along with the garlic and silver lore there is also lore that vampires can hear a heartbeat from far away. I think that could easily be put into a mod as having them see with the detect life spell always on. Maybe the higher the vampire they are the farther away they will be able to detect life.

just a thought

+glare is 1.2 times as bright as normal

You mean you want to make them more alike the Twilight vampires??? o_O

Not exactly, although I'm not sure I know what the connection is with Twilight. Jakisthe, I hope you don't mind me speaking ahead of you on this... From a physical perspective, the idea is that vampires are nocturnal. Light should be ... brighter ... because they are accustomed to darkness. Their eyes would generally be accustomed to seeing in the dark, not out doors in the sun light.

Did you think he meant the glare from their bodies?

Along with the garlic and silver lore there is also lore that vampires can hear a heartbeat from far away. I think that could easily be put into a mod as having them see with the detect life spell always on. Maybe the higher the vampire they are the farther away they will be able to detect life.

just a thought

I definitely plan to have detect life as a built in ability. Not sure how having it on at all times would be from an enjoyment factor but certainly a test run is in order. It may be a little too distracting but if we can tone down the shader brightness and make it just small enough to see it, it might not be too bad. Who knows, maybe we could add a hearbeat as a sound effect, or at least a slight strobbing in the shader's intensity to look like it.

-MM

Edited by MofoMojo

But can it be done like that? By only allowing advancement in that perk tree by utilization of powers from the tree? Perhaps if you had it as player.addperk [reference #s for vampire perks] to be instantly initiated once getting the requisite skill...but something about it being a skill in the same sense that blacksmithing is rubs me the wrong way. It's the progression of a disease...and unlike blacksmithing, certain characters would want to stay low and closer to humanity while others would want to go for the full vampiric powers and leave their human self behind. What's more, how would regression work? I dunno. I'm still very much for advancement based on doing things like drinking blood, or controlling people, but a skill/perk tree in the same vein of what we currently have seems to be missing a bit of the complexity.

Philly, yes, I've seen that as well, but it could get annoying. In an area with a dozen people, constantly hearing a dozen heartbeats...perhaps it could be toggled at the same time as the toggle-able detect life spell, but then it kinda defeats the purpose. I mean, if you can see them, why would you need the sound cues? It might work that the hearing of heartbeats goes well beyond the range of detect life, but unless someone had a very good speaker system, it would be hard for it to be a functional benefit. I'd rather not have an aspect contingent on an individuals hardware capabilities.

Nalim, lol, no, not like Twilight vampires. By that I meant that the glare/brightness from natural light sources, ie, the sun, would be multiplied by 1.2/etc to really make the point of having a vampire disoriented in the sun. As MM pointed out, it might conflict with peoples lighting mods, but I really like the idea.

I definitely plan to have detect life as a built in ability. Not sure how having it on at all times would be from an enjoyment factor but certainly a test run is in order. It may be a little too distracting but if we can tone down the shader brightness and make it just small enough to see it, it might not be too bad. Who knows, maybe we could add a hearbeat as a sound effect, or at least a slight strobbing in the shader's intensity to look like it.

-MM

Maybe have Detect Life built in only while sneaking? That way it wouldn't be obtrusive while you're walking around talking to people and stuff.

Hey Jakisthe,

I took a few moments out last night to work on a completely different mod but learned a lot in the process and have a request for criticism of you.

I have implemented a "Vampiric Reflexes" spell. Ultimately it doesn't matter what you call it but it's a castable "Slow Time" affect that lasts 5 seconds real time, and slows time down in game by about 90%. The problem I'm having is I can't figure out how to channel it as I'd rather Vampires be able to channel this effect rather than single cast for 5 seconds of slow time. The idea of a vampires having quick enough movement but having to one off cast every five seconds to keep it up doesn't sit well. So that got me thinking...

I did a lot of work with implementing perks last night for Wood Elves. See http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6769 for the details. What if "Vampiric Reflexes" were a passive ability? What if they kicked in, any time an attacking player performed a power attack? Similar to the "Quick Reflexes" perk, but it wouldn't require blocking? Do you think that would get annoying? Having the game cut down into "Slow Mo" everytime you were power attacked?

I don't think I'll be able to figure out how to make Slowing Time channeled until the CK comes out, but I kind of like the idea of the passive reflexes....and I kinda don't know if I like the idea of it kicking in with every power attack.

Edit:

OK...I just added this new Perk to my mod called "Vampiric Evasion". It does what I described above. Time slows down for 2 seconds any time someone begins to power attack you. Let's just say I think it's pretty freaking sweet. It's passive and works similar to "Quick Reflexes" perk for the Blocking perk tree but doesn't require you to be blocking. It gives you just enough time to evade the power attack and possible strike back.

-MM

Edited by MofoMojo

I've made some new progress with regards to adding in Vampirism as a skill. I now have a perk tree with Vampiric Evassion as my first perk. I don't know yet how to alter the "look" of the skill tree but it's in there.

So here are my thoughts...

We know there are several different types of races with various abilities. I'd like to consider expanding on those races. I am thinking of building out a perk tree that will have a vertical for each race. Perhaps once you start down a particular race's tree you cannot pick the other perks. I know enough about Perk implementation now to that it's possible to disable the ability to select perks based on just about any condition.

I may be getting ahead of myself. I still need to see if the ability to increase the vampiricism skill can be tied to their abilities but I'm getting VERY anxious over the direction I can take my work now and wanted to share.

Edit: Rats...looks like all I accomplished was replacing a skill and altering the perk tree in that skill. Still...closer. Now, how to add a "School" for some of the vampirism spells?

-MM

Edited by MofoMojo

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but about the detect life, I would put it into the vampire hunter sight with the detect dead too or the aura wishper voice effect.

wel if you should put it in with detect dead they must have another color.

as for the vampiris school how about:

blood control as one of the first skils you can get as the more points the less blood you consume wihile doing stuff. it can be the second thing and when you have a higher level you can upgrade it again.

the vampiric drain spell (the one you get when becoming a vampire) could be the first spell you learn in blood magic and it could be a park that increases the damage from blood magic.

another perk could be day walker the more perks you have in it the longer you can stay in the sun without beeing damaget (or less damaget) a drawback from this could be more damage the higer you level the perk and when you have a higher level you can upgrade it again.

whell i shal try to think out something else to but not now