Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting guide

dubiousintent

"Fallout NV Mod Conflict Troubleshooting" guide is a wiki article listing specific common problems and solutions, collected from around the web. This thread is for questions, suggestions, and discussion of that article's contents. The solutions presented are the result of community contributions and involvement, and not my personal expertise. I merely collected them into one place, and I want that community involvement to continue to improve the article into the preferred "one stop shop" for Troubleshooting of FNV. A wiki article is more easily found than a thread that scrolls off the first forum page.

The article is on the wiki so anyone can edit it directly by merely logging on. However, knowing most people aren't interested in learning MediaWiki markup language, I'll be happy to post any problems with solutions presented here for you. (Some editing for clarity or to correct typos may occur.) Problems without solutions will be considered, but only if they are common and reproducible enough to warrant saying there is no known solution. Mod conflicts in general are too situation specific to make good candidates for such an article. Known reproducible conflicts between specific mods should be reported to the respective authors so they can post notice of them on their mod pages.

Comments about the article's organization will be considered. However, "education" is one of the goals, so suggestions to remove "technical aspects" will be considered with an eye to making them more easily skipped over. (The Nexus version of the wiki is older and doesn't support "spoiler tags" for instance.)

-Dubious-

Added "Issue: Background Noise bug?" to the "Miscellaneous" section.

Also added "How to ask for help" thread link from the Skyrim Nexus forum to the "Overview" section. Considering turning the first post in that thread into a wiki article. Opinions?

-Dubious-

It should be prominently posted so that anyone that has a problem can see it and ignore it. You know, like the "ReadMe", Terms of Service and other required readings that are in Forum Rules and warnings.

Edited by M48A5

It should be prominently posted so that anyone that has a problem can see it and ignore it. You know, like the "ReadMe", Terms of Service and other required readings that are in Forum Rules and warnings.

"It" being the "How to ask for help" post? Agreed. But by making it a wiki article, it can be placed in the "Categories" for all the different games, so it will be available from their particular section of the wiki. That's the best I can think of lacking a way to incorporate it into the forum page layout.

Of course many users seem to be unaware the wiki exists. The forum page layout doesn't have a button for the wiki, so they only become aware when they happen upon a post that mentions it and provides a link. (Took years before I realized it existed.)

If there is a "Category" that automatically appears in all the game sections, I'm not aware of it, yet. Hmm, something to suggest to BlindJudge I think.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Made a formal suggestion to add a "How to ask for help" button to the Forum page layout. Also created the wiki article and linked it in the "Technical Support" sub-forum, and PM'd a moderator about having it pinned.

Changed ref links for "How to ask for help" to the new wiki article.

Added 'Issue: Where to obtain the GECK?' section.

Added additional cause for 'Issue: What are these Red "!" kite icons in the game?'

Added additional cause for 'Issue: Background Noise bug?'.

-Dubious-

Just learned about "New Vegas Save Cleaner" (aka "New Vegas REFR Deleter"). Sounds reasonably "safe" for such a tool from the description, but lacking any knowledge about the competency of the author and none at all about editing save files, I have difficulty accepting that a tool that hasn't been updated since 2013 (and even then only once) won't have potential issues with things that weren't well understood back then. But it seems worth a try as long as you make backups of both the ".fos" and ".nvse" files in case things go wrong and test like crazy afterward.

I would feel more comfortable adding it to the Troubleshooting guide if I could get some feedback from the more experienced members of the community. Anyone know this tool?

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Due to lack of positive feedback (it only temporarily fixed the poster's problem), "New Vegas Save Cleaner" (aka "New Vegas REFR Deleter") remains off the Troubleshooting guide. The subject can be revisited at any time.

Recent additions:

Graphics Problems:

* Issue: Character is suddenly invisible in both 1st and 3rd person views.

Mesh (Red "!" icon) or Texture (solid color) problems:

* Issue: What are these Red "!" kite icons in the game?

"Garden of Eden Construction Kit" (G.E.C.K.) problems:

* Issue: Where to obtain the G.E.C.K.?

* Issue: Where to start in creating mods?

-Dubious-

Recent additions since 10 Apr:

Graphics Problems:
* Issue: Custom "Body Type" Replacement: update of female body types

GECK problems:

* Added 'Issue: How do I configure the GECK to do "< something >"?'

Miscellaneous Problems:
* Issue: FCO/FNVR Eyes rolled to the side
* Issue: Can Timescale adjustments break certain quests, etc.?

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

• 2 weeks later...

Recent additions since 15 Apr:
* Updated some information in existing "Checklist" entries.
* Updated "GECK crashes upon starting".
* Updated 'Issue: CTD without warning, "Out of Memory error", or stops responding after the Main Menu'
* Added 'Issue: How to get GECK to load with NVSE?'
* Updated 'Issue: Where to obtain the G.E.C.K.?' with shortcut parameters for running as admin.

-Dubious-

• 3 weeks later...

Recent additions since 24 Apr:
* Updated 'Issue: What are these Red "!" kite icons in the game?' with a note on xEdit restrictions.
* Moved 'Find source of missing item' from 'Miscellaneous' to 'Solutions to Mesh (Red "!" icon) or Texture (solid color) problems'
* Added 'Issue: Recommended "Project Nevada" master file load order?'
* Added 'Issue: Missing Pipboy after uninstalling the Readius mod'
* Added 'Issue: Somehow, without changing anything, my character is "glitched" oddly'
* Added 'Issue: FCO or FNV Redesigned3 characters have pink faces or clean bodies with dirty faces'
* Added 'Issue: Playing at greater than 1920x1080 resolution'

-Dubious-