Getting started creating mods using GECK feedback

dubiousintent

The wiki article "Getting started creating mods using GECK" is in response to the common request for that information by new would-be mod creators and those getting into new aspects. It provides a learning roadmap, a starting point and guide to progression; not a tutorial. Consider it a collection of suggestions and links to more detailed tutorials, articles, videos, and tools.

Developed from community resources and responses, it provides an alternative to searching through the forums for common topics. It is, however, only a starting point.

The purpose of this thread is to give a place for suggestions, questions, and corrections.

Recent additions:

Animation: A summary of adding weapon animations.

Converstations: Added links to "Grammerly" and "Tone Analyzer".

Custom NPCs: A summary of the steps to cause companions to "follow".

Dialog & Lip Sync: Link to "FEEL - Facial Expression Editor (Limited)".

Music & Sounds: Link to "Silent Voice Generator".

Weapons: Link to GaigeStorms' PDF "Complete custom gun modding guide ".

-Dubious-

just some advice, when modding with the GECK, save often, often defined as after every change you make LOL and then make a copy of your esp every few days or so, just in case. It really sucks to open your mod one day and find an entire town you spent a month on, gone, not a brick left and no aliens with probes in sight.

Good one. Never hurts to remind people.

Recent additions since 10 Apr:

GECK and the Active File:
* TIP: Save early and often. Make backups. Use "Vista SP1" compatibility mode.

Worldspace Creation:
* Added 1 "Navmesh Tutorial".
* added 3 "Fixing Deleted Navmesh" tutorial links.
* Added 1 "Filter to find Deleted Navmesh" tutorial link.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

And I'm sure you're all wondering including dubious why they don't have a staff tag.

It's because dubious is so helpful already ... hence no need for a promotion.

And were a person with staff tag to be so helpful ... it would then set up an unrealistic expectation for the Nexus. People posting links that would lead to umpteen amounts of people comming here demanding an easy button on who knows what kind of problem.

No no ... better to just keep all this helpfulness on the down low ... and pay dubious under the table for running the helpful aspect of these forums.

• 2 weeks later...

- "Creating Mods" Recent additions since 15 Apr:

* Updated "Record Types" with '''xEdit''' data and made into an 'include' template: "Fallout Record Types".
* Added 'Custom items' [TIP: Radius Setting]
* Added 'Custom Creatures' section
* Added 'Creature Creation' section.
* Updated 'Spawning modded items' with link to 'Random NPC Comments' XMarker tip.

Animation
* [TIP: Animation Summary.]

Armor & Clothes
* [TIP: Exportin a mesh from Blender for import into GECK.]

Creature Creation
* [Adding a custom creature to Fallout 3 Tutorial by Ominus] PDF. Very Basic.
* [bethsoft Tutorial NPC population] HTML. Covers the basic placement of leveled lists for enemy spawning and the use of generic patrol and sandbox package behaviors.
* [bringing Life to the Mojave by Mindboggles] PDF.
* [GECK Tutorial - Creature/NPC Companion by Seddon4494] Video.
* [GECK Tutorial: Custom Creature Part 1 (of 4) by gerokeymaster] Video.

Dialog & Lip-synch
* Guide to fix the lip sync function in the GECK by Capt Mitch.
* [FonixData.cdf ( Easier .Lip Files ) by DingraThePishvaz] Mod.
* [Tip: Cutting Lip files to match dialog.]

-Dubious-

-Dubious-

Wow you really are tireless on this endeavor. Which does make me wonder ... are you getting paid under the table for it ?

Not that you should answer that ... but they better be throwing you some greenage , err what ever the color of your spendable paper may be.

Here's a thought for job security ... You do realize you are going to have to create a boiled down easier version ? But of course linking to this very indepth guide.

So whew ! The hard work is nearly done ... maybe ?

Thank you so much for helping to keep the older fallout engine modding alive ;)

Edited by Mktavish

Don't need "job security". This is my "retirement hobby"; from my second career. I only work on it when I want. Fortunately (or not as the case may be) for folks that means I'm usually here daily.

It's pretty effortless if time consuming. Everything is the result of questions others ask and answer (somewhere). I just take the time to search for the prior answers and collect them in an appropriate wiki article, which is the step most others never get around to taking. That takes some time, which I have. I'm posting a "weekly" update just to keep the thread from falling into obscurity.

As for a "boiled down" version: thought this was it. I mean everything before the list of tutorials is just an "overview" of the complexity of the GECK and the task of creating a mod: compiled from others attempts at similar explanations of different aspects. I know I tend to get "wordy", but that's from experience in conveying complex ideas to people who don't always "get" the short snappy "bullet point" explanations. Anyone else (preferably with actual mod creation experience) is welcome to submit a "pared down version" and cross link if they wish. Heck, you can just write it and send it to me and I'll get into the wiki somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for the comments.

-Dubious-

Hey I'm sorry ... did not mean to dis your work in the least. What I meant by a boiled down version was probably just an after thought from reading that thread about the fallout 4 issue between mod authors and mod users.

So .... I guess ... never mind that comment. It was just the sentiment of people seem to want it simpler and simpler as time goes on.

But WoW you are awesome with what you are doing. Ya sure it seems simple for you and no big deal ... but trust me ... it is a big deal , and your talents toward that end I think are very much needed , and eventually to be very much appreciated.

Mark my words :thumbsup: