Discolored Head

kbailey921

I am having this problem as well. In both duplicating characters and creating new ones. I know this does not help your situation but at least you know you are not the only one.

And I have used different races and skin tone, to which I get the same result. I dark greyish head on top of a whatever colored body.

I have tried the "update NPC Body tint color" option under the character tab in the main toolbar, just to see what it would do. Did not help anything

I am having this problem as well. In both duplicating characters and creating new ones. I know this does not help your situation but at least you know you are not the only one.

And I have used different races and skin tone, to which I get the same result. I dark greyish head on top of a whatever colored body.

I have tried the "update NPC Body tint color" option under the character tab in the main toolbar, just to see what it would do. Did not help anything

No worries glad its not just me. It is probably just a bug in the creation kit for right now. I have looked but found no fix.

I found a fix that works for pre existing/editted NPCs, it does not work for newly created NPCs. This is from one of the staff on the Beth forums, I tried it, it works and it is quite easy.

Here's a technique that helps when modifying an NPC from the base game.

•Locate some pre-existing NPC. I chose Hadvar.

•Edit the Actor > Character Gen Parts tab. I decided to make a drastic lip color change

•Click MaleHeadNord_Lips.dds in the left-sice "Face Tint Layers" list

•Click "Select Color" - choose something extreme, like a neon green

•Slide "Interpolation Value" all the way to the right (1.0)

•Click OK

•In the Object Window, find the base Actor you've just edited.

•With the Actor(s) selected, press ctrl+F4. Click "Yes" when prompted to export.

•This will create a DDS and a TGA in ...\Syrim\data\Textures\Actors\Character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\Skyrim.esm

•Note: The TGA is not really neccessary, as the DDS should be uncompressed.

•With these textures in place, run the game and test your NPC. Note that the plugin changes need not be saved.

When asked about it working for newly created NPCs his reply was "Unfortunately not. That's an issue we are looking into."

I found a fix that works for pre existing/editted NPCs, it does not work for newly created NPCs. This is from one of the staff on the Beth forums, I tried it, it works and it is quite easy.

Here's a technique that helps when modifying an NPC from the base game.

•Locate some pre-existing NPC. I chose Hadvar.

•Edit the Actor > Character Gen Parts tab. I decided to make a drastic lip color change

•Click MaleHeadNord_Lips.dds in the left-sice "Face Tint Layers" list

•Click "Select Color" - choose something extreme, like a neon green

•Slide "Interpolation Value" all the way to the right (1.0)

•Click OK

•In the Object Window, find the base Actor you've just edited.

•With the Actor(s) selected, press ctrl+F4. Click "Yes" when prompted to export.

•This will create a DDS and a TGA in ...\Syrim\data\Textures\Actors\Character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\Skyrim.esm

•Note: The TGA is not really neccessary, as the DDS should be uncompressed.

•With these textures in place, run the game and test your NPC. Note that the plugin changes need not be saved.

When asked about it working for newly created NPCs his reply was "Unfortunately not. That's an issue we are looking into."

ty'

• 6 months later...

Close and then reopen the creation kit with the npc plugin you just made, then highlight the npc name in the actor section and press CTRL+F4 that will give you an option to export facegen data, click yes and then ok. this has worked for me every time and iv made about 10 new followers, the only catch is that you MUST close and reopen the CK to do it, it will not work if you just finished making the npc and pressed CTRL+F4, it has to be reopened.

if this doesnt work then im sorry but i dont know what the problem could be, mind you this has worked for me everytime sense i noticed it.

One other thing these instructions don't say (and I've seen 'em copied all over the place) is that if you make a custom NPC complete from scratch you need to manually build the face gen data file. It will let you make the initial skintone.dds file via ctrl+f4, but it won't have any other colors like lip or warpaint. For those things, you'll have to find the matching .dds file in the games textures bsa file and do some overlay/layering tricks to get the correct colors all merged into one single layer in a dds file with the same name as the one output via the ctrl+f4

In other words

make custom npc

save & exit

reopen CK

highlight custom npc, press ctrl+f4

facegendata gets made

leave CK open

get Gimp or other image/graphics software

open the new facegendata dds file found in \Syrim\data\Textures\Actors\Character\FaceGenData\FaceTint\your_mod.esp

if it doesn't have all the lip color & warpaint etc, set it to the side or rename/back it up

look in CK on Face Gen tab at all the face tint layers and see which ones you use on the character.

check first for mod added versions, then get stock versions for remaining ones out of skyrim - textures.bsa

begin to layer them together.

best way is to add transparent layer underneath the original tint layer

flood fill the transparent layer with the matching RGB values for that .dds file as noted in the CK

on the original layer send white to alpha channel -- makes white area transparent & correct color shows thru.

merge the two layers together so you've black with the correct color

set it to the side

repeat for all other skin tint layers.

pick the largest size skin tint layer and add a new layer with the skintone color

send black to transparency on the black & colored layer

then merge down.

bring the other tint layers in one at a time and repeat.

if image sizes are drastically different, decide on going up, down or meeting in the middle. stock tint layers are 256x256 mod tint layers can be much bigger

when all done with all layers merged into a single layer, save/export it into the original output .dds file.

Then check it out in game

sorry it's a bit hasty but it should get you going on the right track