Frame Rate drops when turning around.

kythlyn

Hi everyone.

I'm having an issue where whenever I turn around, the frame rate will suddenly (but temporarily) drop drastically. I am running a system with a 2600k processor (at 3.8ghz) and 2x SLI GTX 560ti. Normally I get around 55-60 FPS (after my fair share of tweaking and modding). But whenever I suddenly turn around (doesn't matter if I use xbox 360 controller or mouse), the frame rate falls to 35-40 and it stutters heavily. I even noticed the frame rate drop under 20 for a split second. This occurs more often when there are a lot of NPCs around, but not exclusively. I've noticed it happening regularly both in Whiterun and out in the open with only my companion anywhere close to me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

This happens for me as well. Yes, my rig is not very good compared to yours (specs in sig), but I still run at 40-60 fps (more outside of towns), and every time I turn quickly the framerate drops to around 20-30 and stutters massively for a second. There's no reason that should happen; I run a heavily modded Oblivion at a lower fps, and it doesn't even stutter that much.

I'm interested in hearing a fix.

It seems like my CPU never goes above 25-27% capacity, even when playing Skyrim. Perhaps only a single core of the cpu is being used?

id say its due to your GFX rendering isnt keeping up with all new *objects* and thus drop your fps to cope a little better, i run a highend machine and if i turn around fast i get this too,

its not annoying since it keeps me aware im still in this world and not in there.. :tongue:

suggestions to solve the issue is to lower texutre packs but you dont want that now do you

suggestions to solve the issue is to lower texutre packs but you dont want that now do you

Haha, nope. I've already made some concessions... only using 4x AA for example. I'd like to think a smoother experience is possible with my rig, even with HD texture packs, etc.

I'm wondering if there are some specific tweaks I could do to stop the choppiness. It's okay if the frame rate falls a bit, but the choppiness is really annoying.

I've noticed this problem amps up considerably running with shadows on ultra, even with the latest patches. The official dlc tex pack doesn't help. But turning shadows down to high almost eliminates it (for me).

I also have shadows set to High, but I still get considerable stuttering and low frame spikes.

I've noticed this problem amps up considerably running with shadows on ultra, even with the latest patches. The official dlc tex pack doesn't help. But turning shadows down to high almost eliminates it (for me).

I also have shadows set to High, but I still get considerable stuttering and low frame spikes.

Ah sorry. That was it for suggestions from me. It is annoying. Hopefully someone else has a better suggestion.

Turning the shadows to high almost completely fixed it for me. I still get minor stutter though after turning quickly, especially in combat. Even limiting my framerate seems to have no effect. If I run at 60fps, it stutters down to 40. If I run at 30fps, it stutters down to 20. It makes no sense. :(

So... I've started getting some graphical uh... problems (see pic). And those problems seem to occur at the same moment as the frame rate issues described in this thread. o_O;

http://s16.postimage.org/cq1h57wk5/Screen_Shot2.png

What you're seeing here is the main gate of Whiterun, right after exiting the city, taking a few steps, and then making a quick 180. The frame rate choked, and what you see above appeared. I was able to turn away from it, back away from Whiterun, and the game looked normal in that direction. But if I faced the same direction as I did in the image, the graphical problem was still there.

Blarg.