Become a full member of the Thieves Guild ?

nexus464

Hi, I'm playing Sryrim for the second time, first time had too many bugged journal entries, and still I can't avoid them.

The quest: No Stone Unturned is given by Vex, the first entry for it is "Become a full member of the Thieves Guild" but you can only talk to Vex after you become a full member. First step - "A Chance Arrangement", it happens in the town's square and grants you the entry to the guild location, second step - "Taking Care of Business", then you get to talk to Mercer Frey, who gives you the follow up quest "Loud and Clear " and welcomes you to the guild as a member. Then and only then will Vex talk to me but I'm already a guild member so the entry "Become a full member of the Thieves Guild" in the quest given by Vex remains unchecked.

I've Goggled the subject and many people have the same problem, even ending all related quests an becoming a Master doesn't resolve the unchecked entry.

Can anyone who had the entry "Become a full member of the Thieves Guild" in the "No Stone Unturned" quest checked as completed help me please?

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by nexus464

I had thought the "No Stone Unturned" only required one to be a member of the Guild in order to have the stone appraised - but maybe I've missed something. I also didn't think it had anything to do with the Thieves Guild quest line directly (except for the appraisal issue) - but again maybe I've missed something.

I am on my third go around on the game, but have not started the Thieves Guild, but do have a jewel in my inventory, and the journal entry is "Bring the Unusual Gem to an appraiser". I believe I have been referred to Vex by Maul in past games, as he accosts you on entering Riften and if you follow the conversation opportunities with him he directs you to Vex.

I am pretty sure in past games my journal entry on "Become a full member..." appears after the conversation with Maul and clears after I do 3 things - see/talk with the guild leader (Mercer?), accept the Loud and Clear quest and get the armor. Once I pick up the armor and have the fence conversation, I'm pretty sure that's when "Become a full member...." clears out of the journal.

I have not had the journal entry "Become a full member..." stuck in the journal active list in my previous two play throughs of the game.

Given how many bugs there are in most of the quests, I doubt it's really all that important to have completed objectives. As long as the quest moves to its various stages, that's good enough (for me, at least).

I have done that particular quest a couple times, though, and I've never had any serious problems with it.

I had thought the "No Stone Unturned" only required one to be a member of the Guild in order to have the stone appraised - but maybe I've missed something. I also didn't think it had anything to do with the Thieves Guild quest line directly (except for the appraisal issue) - but again maybe I've missed something.

I am on my third go around on the game, but have not started the Thieves Guild, but do have a jewel in my inventory, and the journal entry is "Bring the Unusual Gem to an appraiser". I believe I have been referred to Vex by Maul in past games, as he accosts you on entering Riften and if you follow the conversation opportunities with him he directs you to Vex.

I am pretty sure in past games my journal entry on "Become a full member..." appears after the conversation with Maul and clears after I do 3 things - see/talk with the guild leader (Mercer?), accept the Loud and Clear quest and get the armor. Once I pick up the armor and have the fence conversation, I'm pretty sure that's when "Become a full member...." clears out of the journal.

I have not had the journal entry "Become a full member..." stuck in the journal active list in my previous two play throughs of the game.

This. I've finished the Thieves Guild quest line, gotten to guild leader etc, etc. I never talked to Maul (believe I spoke to him on the Riften docks) until recently, when I already have 12 of the 24 stones. During my convo with him is when I seen that new objective pop up on the screen, and checked my journal right away to see it under the "No Stone Unturned" quest log. I just chuckled, apparently being guild leader isn't a "full member" which makes sense since the one guy in the flagon cistern always gives me "What do you want? You've already caused enough trouble around here!" line when I enter there. Umm yeah, it seems like I'm the only guild member that actually leaves the guild house and single-handedly spread our influence around Skyrim. :wallbash: :biggrin:

This. I've finished the Thieves Guild quest line, gotten to guild leader etc, etc. I never talked to Maul (believe I spoke to him on the Riften docks) until recently, when I already have 12 of the 24 stones. During my convo with him is when I seen that new objective pop up on the screen, and checked my journal right away to see it under the "No Stone Unturned" quest log. I just chuckled, apparently being guild leader isn't a "full member" which makes sense since the one guy in the flagon cistern always gives me "What do you want? You've already caused enough trouble around here!" line when I enter there. Umm yeah, it seems like I'm the only guild member that actually leaves the guild house and single-handedly spread our influence around Skyrim.

Looking at the posts, I've probably just been lucky in that I have done other things and found a jewel before I did anything with the Thieves Guild quest line. I have seen some other posts on "bugs" which I am beginning to think may be that if one does not play the game exactly as the game developers envisioned or determined in the programming, one may find themselves stuck on some quests or at least journal entries. Skyrim isn't as free and open to explore as one wants and/or to do as one wants to do, maybe?

Thanks guys,

@Maul, you are right, talking with Maul adds the entry "Become a full member..."

@gsmanners , I've done it before but never checked to see if all entries were checked for a successful quest, only now I've noticed that many optional and non optional entries are left unchecked although the quest ends fine, about your suggestion collecting all but one stone before talking to Vex, I'll do it this round.

There is actually a solution to the entry "Become a full member in the thieves guild" added right after talking to maul. If after completing "Taking Care of Business" you talk to Mercer Frey, who gives you the follow up quest "Loud and Clear " and welcomes you to the guild as a member - NEVER talk to Vex right away , if you do, the line "Become a full member in the thieves guild" will never go away, you should first talk to the girl who gives you the full armor set (forgot her name), then the entry is cleared, you are a full member, then go and speak to Vex about the unusual stone.

Thanks all of you guys

• 2 years later...