100% Crash Falkreath Hold

Slinkusss

Well I just recently encountered this problem; the whole area near the brotherhood sanctuary east of falkreath. I started a new game and went to the dark sanctuary and no CTD. However, when I tried loading a save from this place i CTD. I dont use SMIM but i think I might use the updated one to see if that works. I also recently used a texture optimizing mod that reduced file sizes and removed some "unnecessary" files from texture/mesh folders. I backed up my texture/mesh folder so im going to revert those and try SMIM. If this works I wont repost. Thanks for the info btw

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

just wanted to say that my Skyrim also CTD around Falkreath, but I don't use "SMIM". Also, I'm not riding Shadowmere.

I have "Sounds of Skyrim", "5 day Respawn", "Skyrim HD 2K textures {Nebula}", "Frostfall", "Imp's MCN" and I don't know what else to mention...

I'm having a similar issue, (i think it's a corrupted save on my end however as previously wiht another character running the same mods all was fine), we do have Frostfall in common (as long as you're referring to Frostfang Manor mod). Perhaps it is responsible?

edit my mistake i have frostfang manor* not frostfall*

edit edit: not related to any mods, it's probably a corrupted save in all honestly (skyrim was just recently re-installed after a Creation Kit situation gone arry yet that save loaded in after re-install it was probably a bad idea to keep playing with it.)

Edited by lopez125

Hey, I had a similar issue, though not specifically in Falkreath. I had three areas where I would CTD 100% of the time but most of mine were in random places in Winterhold and one near Alduin's wall (that I've found so far). After deactivating mods and resetting game cells I had no success. Then I tried muddling around in my Windows settings and fixed my issue. Hopefully it will help out anyone else with the issue as well. Credit to WaltC for the find.

Assuming you have Windows 7:

1- Click start, right-click computer, go to properties.

2- Click on "Advanced System Settings"

3- Click the "Settings" option under Performance

4- Move to the "Data Execution Prevention" tab

5- Mark the circle next to the option that says "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:"

6- Under the big empty box click on "Add..."

7- Navigate to your "Skyrim.exe" and add it. It should now appear in the box with a check next to it.

8- Click OK to save your changes.

9- WaltC said you shouldn't have to restart your computer, but it didn't fix anything for me until I did. So to be safe, I'd recommend you do so.

10- You're done!

According to WaltC, the finder of the fix, he said, "in some places either a mod I've installed or the Skyrim game itself is attempting to read-write to ram illegally under the DEP rules, and the game is immediately terminated by Win7. This is a security precaution. Making Skyrim an exception to the rule simply means that Windows won't shut the game down abruptly if and when it breaks a DEP rule."

This has allowed me to get back my high level character without getting rid of any mods. If the Static Mesh Improvement Mod update didn't fix your problem, I hope this helps!

i too have had very similar problems, only it seems to be happenening around the city of riften. ive narrowed it down to literally a ring around the outskirts of the city -

- i fast travelled to goldenglow estate, walked to the mansion, faced riften (by the boat at the goldenglow dock) and set out to swim. i got just past the tiny island to my right and CTD!!

- fast travel to nightingale hall, walk north towards riften about 30 steps and it happens again CTD!

- i tried fast travelling to riften stables and merryfair farm (just NW of the stables) but both attempts instantly CTD before it loaded. so im assuming they are encompassed within this "ring of failure"

- i CAN, however, fast travel into riften, and freely walk around town and in/out of buildings, but as soon as i try to exit any of the city gates into skyrim...... CTD

the problem only started today (30th may), previously i have been able to come and go from riften as i please. i even managed to complete the thieves guild this morning. no other area has given me problems, ive chosen many random loactions to fast travel to and wander around to see if the problem occurs, but nothing happens, the game works fine.

ive tried everything u guys have mentioned concerning your falkreath problem, but nothing works.

if anyone can help with this i'll be ever so grateful, i just dont know what to do anymore, besides starting a new game. (and that is NOT happening - 2nd playthrough 120+ hours so far...)

I have been getting a 100% crash in falkreath hold aswell. My triangle of death is just south of bilegulch mine to sunderstone gorge to falkreath imperial camp (although that isnt there yet).

Its nice to hear others are having similar problems. I don't have shadowmere yet and am only level 12. I do have the static mesh mod however. I shall give renaming the meshes folder a try when i get back to my computer.

Also can't wait to get back and try your fix ThePopeKYA.

Just wanted to say thankyou and its nice to know i'm not the only one

Edited by Monkeybreadman

Hey, I had a similar issue, though not specifically in Falkreath. I had three areas where I would CTD 100% of the time but most of mine were in random places in Winterhold and one near Alduin's wall (that I've found so far). After deactivating mods and resetting game cells I had no success. Then I tried muddling around in my Windows settings and fixed my issue. Hopefully it will help out anyone else with the issue as well. Credit to WaltC for the find.

Assuming you have Windows 7:

1- Click start, right-click computer, go to properties.

2- Click on "Advanced System Settings"

3- Click the "Settings" option under Performance

4- Move to the "Data Execution Prevention" tab

5- Mark the circle next to the option that says "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:"

6- Under the big empty box click on "Add..."

7- Navigate to your "Skyrim.exe" and add it. It should now appear in the box with a check next to it.

8- Click OK to save your changes.

9- WaltC said you shouldn't have to restart your computer, but it didn't fix anything for me until I did. So to be safe, I'd recommend you do so.

10- You're done!

According to WaltC, the finder of the fix, he said, "in some places either a mod I've installed or the Skyrim game itself is attempting to read-write to ram illegally under the DEP rules, and the game is immediately terminated by Win7. This is a security precaution. Making Skyrim an exception to the rule simply means that Windows won't shut the game down abruptly if and when it breaks a DEP rule."

This has allowed me to get back my high level character without getting rid of any mods. If the Static Mesh Improvement Mod update didn't fix your problem, I hope this helps!

this post should be stickied

Just thought i would give an update. I tried the windows DEP changes and that didn't work for my "corrupted save" whether it will help in the future, who knows. However i went through and renamed my meshes folder and eventually narrowed it down to

rockcairnevil01.nif

rockcairnevil02.nif

rockcairnevil03.nif

rockcairnevil04.nif

in meshes>landscape>rocks>cairns

Also worth noting is that these files are 200 to 400 kb in size where the other cairn nifs are around 70kb. Once i removed these i could move into the area from any save game. I can't remember what mod these files come from, I have been using the parallax rocks mod, but i have also used the texture optimiser so it could well be that.

Anyway thanks for all the tips, it was annoying the s**t out of me

Edited by Monkeybreadman

Like the rest of you guys im having the same problem in Falkreath...i get CTD around town as well as started the quest with Barbas..following him crashes my game near the bridge where 2 bandits and a trap where rocks fall on you.

I disabled all of my Mods, playing everything in Vanilla but still the game crashes. its frustrating to think i might have a corrupted save file but if anyone has a solution other than the ones been mentioned, please share it thanks.

Slink and Unwished....

I have the same problem, but only around Falkreath.

In particular, I cannot enter the Shriekwind Bastion from any direction.

Total crash.

The rest of the game is nearly perfect.

Thanks to all the recommendations by posters.

I've cycled through every mesh and texture file looking for the conflict, but to no avail.

I don't have some of the other mesh mods which were referred to, but I've racked my brains trying everything I can think of and following all of your guidance as closely as possible.

My conclusion is that this is a bigger problem with the game.

I have had great success in this area in the past, but not since the most recent patches.

Anyone know how to "un-patch" the patches?

Sure would like to explore this part of the world, but for now it looks like that's out of the question.

I'll bookmark this thread and check back from time to time.

Thanks, all.

Whitz

I have exactly the same problem. Since I haven´t been in that area for a long time, I don´t know when it started. I have tried to disable any mod which could do some conficts in that area, but wihtout success. I thought it could be a sound problem, but it is not.

Oh, I renamed 'meshes' but without success. Same with 'textures'. I had a similar problem with some area NE of Riften, but it seems to be gone.

------------------------

Update: I tried the DEP thing, but it did not help. :sad:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: I installed this: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/19

No, I installed some mod which is called Director´s cut german, but this unofficial patch was included. After the first start it seems to repair my journal, closed a lot of quests and now I can move again in the region of Falkreath. :dance:

Edited by mkuehn