Who is the best follower?

Dubnoman

Who is the best follower for combat? Aela The Huntress, Mjoll The Lioness, or Lydia? Are all three good and I couldn't really go wrong with any of them? I know Aela is good with archery. Are Mjoll and Lydia decent enough with archery? I'm looking for a good combat orientated follower for a warrior character I'll play.

I read on the ES Wiki that Aela is a thief. Is that true? Would she be a good follower for an archer who makes use of a lot of stealth attacks? About stealth and followers, does that work out okay, or are there some mods that improve that (if so, anyone have a link or two to a good 'stealth followers' mod?)?

I'm not sure if I want a follower who is better with ranged or who is better with melee. My character will use a war axe and shield, as well as carry a bow. I could go with any one of them, unless a follower with better range is better than a follower with better melee, then I'll consider Aela more. Edited by Dubnoman

You just said "combat", so I'd have to say that Aranea from Azura's shrine is pretty cool. We were on a quest to take out giants and I got involved with one of them and lost track of her. Arrow, arrow, run, run, potion, potion, run... Finally got my giant and ran back to see what happened to Aranea; she was up on a ledge, out of reach, blasting her giant with magic. I got there just as she finished him off. She hadn't used any healing potions or magic weapon charges to defeat the giant on her own.

Lydia's hanging out back at home and thinking over her combat skills for a while. :confused:

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll look up that follower. I'm still pretty set on adventuring with one of the three from the OP.

I haven't used followers yet because I was playing a stealth character. Do followers level up? If a follower dies, they are gone for good, but I can just reload an old save and they'll be back, right? Also, are there any mods that make followers stealthier for those with stealth characters?

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll look up that follower. I'm still pretty set on adventuring with one of the three from the OP.

I haven't used followers yet because I was playing a stealth character. Do followers level up? If a follower dies, they are gone for good, but I can just reload an old save and they'll be back, right? Also, are there any mods that make followers stealthier for those with stealth characters?

Sorry, thought you were just looking for a follower. I don't "think" they level with you, but they can be forced to level up. Yes, they'll still be in an older save game. It IS possible that a dead follower will re-spawn after a while; keep an eye out for "resurrected" followers.

I couldn't find a good stealth follower, either. Had to use "Wait here" too much. But, a waiting follower WILL engage enemies if you have to run back to them.

To be honest, all three of the followers you mentioned seemed to "perform" about the same for me in fights. I had Lydia the longest as she seemed to be the best melee tank after I buffed her up. But, she just can't sit still at home. :rolleyes: