Textures File Extensions

Northernx

Sorry if this may have been asked before but what do the following file extensions mean and what aspect of the game character do they describe:

.dds

msn.dds

s.dds

sk.dds

The reason I am asking is I want to know which files can be swapped out without destroying the integrity of the texture. In other words, can you replace individual files or do you have to change out the entire set?

.dds = diffuse map, the compressed texture itself

_msn.dds = should be the body's normal map

_s.dds = well since the specular map is in the _n.dds alpha i guess this is a gloss/shine map

_sk.dds = if i remember right these maps contain sub surface details

Biggest impact would have the change/edit of the .dds map since it contains the "real texture",

_msn.dds - the normal map defines 3D details - simulates more details on a low polygon surface. There should be the specular in its alpha channel (black=dark,white=bright ingame). A "faked" normal map itself can be generated with Nvidia DDS plugin for Gimp/PS from the texture itself.

_s.dds - just had a look on it in PS, seems similar to the other object's _m.dds, same color sheme as the specular map mentioned in the _msn.dds. Black = dark, less reflection/gloss, white = the opposite.

_sk.dds - well you see its details in Gimp/Photoshop

Edited by ghosu