Do You Like Skyrim's Combat

JesterKing

123 members have voted

1. 1. Skyrim's combat: Yay or Nay!

• I enjoy the combat a lot!!
    • I don't like it at all!
    • It's ok. I guess. It works right?

I'm glad there are threads like this. First let me say skyrim is a really awesome game and i'm not trying to whine but it just seems like the combat is waaaay behind but is overlooked because of how fun the rest of the game is. Games like Batman arkham asylam show whats possible these days. I don't expect that level from a game like skyrim which has so much other stuff to offer but I do at least want some of the basics like locking on and counter attacks. Is it possible for mods to add things like that and if so are there any out there worth me checking out?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing out of the ordinary. Most mods just change small things, like stagger or attack time. No lock-on. I don't think Skyrim has enough enemies to even deserve a good combat system. You're always in one-on-one situations or in narrow corridors. You'll never be in a situation where you wished you had The Mark of Kri style combat - one of the most overlooked games when it comes to gameplay and one that should have been emulated by the industry but kinda fell through the cracks.

the combat is ok but I would love it if they used a system more like Mount and Blade which is dirt cheap on steam and there is a demo if you've never seen it before.

it's quite chaotic at first and very difficult to hit anything but perseverance does pay off.

my dream would be the combat and horses from M&B fused with the story lines and fully rendered world of TES

Everything is better than doing a targeting system... At least with bethesdas combat system I feel like I'm hitting them and doing damage as opposed to watching my character do the fighting because i told him who to attack.

See the immersion difference?

Everything is better than doing a targeting system... At least with bethesdas combat system I feel like I'm hitting them and doing damage as opposed to watching my character do the fighting because i told him who to attack.

See the immersion difference?

This sums up how I feel. With no lock on system I can miss my target not because of some dice roll. If I miss my target it was because I suck and I missed. I cant stand games that basically play themselves.

I wouldnt like a tab targetting system either, but this doesnt explain why (how long is it now...5-6 years from oblivion?) they didnt made any reall progress after such time...they just step on the same place for a decade now if i count morrowind combat too.

Sure there are engine limitiations, but to me this just feels like no progress at all, especially since skyrim is so action oriented.

Sure there are engine limitiations, but to me this just feels like no progress at all, especially since skyrim is so action oriented.

especially as games like Mount and Blade or Two Worlds have mounted combat and M&B has a very dynamic combat system which would fit in so well with the TES setting

So, basically everyone would be immensely happier with Skyrim's combat if you could dodge, attack while riding horses and first person fighting didn't look like a flat hand animation... LOL. Aren't they coming out with mounted combat? I think both bethesda and a modder are working on that. Who will get done first??? :ohdear: Edited by BeastlyBeast

So, basically everyone would be immensely happier with Skyrim's combat if you could dodge, attack while riding horses and first person fighting didn't look like a flat hand animation... LOL. Aren't they coming out with mounted combat? I think both bethesda and a modder are working on that. Who will get done first??? :ohdear:

I dont know, but its kind of logical?

I mean you have here non tab-targeting real time combat and you dont have a dodge key, does this give you any sense?

Do the people at bethesda need another decade to figure out that a simple dodge ability adds a lot to strategy in combat, something, plenty of other games already have?

This is just piss-poor design, in my opinion.

I think the combat is too sluggish and not rewarding when it comes to melee combat. It feels like you're just wailing away at the enemy and from time to time backing up to take a few sips of a potion. And then whether you kill the opponent or he/she kills you entirely depends on the level. That's understandable, but it just deprives you from tackling tougher dungeons/areas and instead you just go back and, do a lil' bit of this and that and then come back once you're ready, which somewhat takes away the sense of satisfaction. Kill moves look cool, but the animations are mediocre (thank God for the mods).

The bow feels good, and I like the new draw animation, however the paralyzing and stagger elements are too random (again, thank you modders out there for the combat mod) and well, there isn't much variety with the bow.

Magic on the other hand feels awesome...at first. Yeah later on you get the Master spells which are pretty cool but throughout your whole journey you just learn more powerful versions of the same spell. There just isn't enough spell variety (And once again, I thank you modders for your hard work to implement more varied and balanced spells).

The battles themselves are nothing special due to the combat. They just charge and start swinging weapons at you. Either you do more damage and kill em, or they do more damage than you and you run. IMO if the combat system would be more robust, players would have to dodge, time their attacks and even maybe set traps (magic runes) before engaging the group of bandits/forsworn/you name it.

Right now, the combat is just way too simple.

I'd really love to see a dodge and overall an overhaul to the combat system. Only thing kept me playing was the immersive world, satisfaction of getting better gear and exploring the nexus and steam workshop for awesome mods.