Skyrim - Discworld Mod Talk

Voivod333

http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q566/Voivod333/DiscworldTextLogo2-1.png

This post is created with the intention as a place for all those interested in Discworld to collaborate. All ideas are welcome, whether it's a simply a re-textured armor/clothing/weapon or a full-blown total conversion.

Copyright issues will be addressed as soon as permission is given by Terry Pratchett himself and/or his publishers.

Edited by Voivod333

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a link to my seperate thread with my ideas for UU: http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/672032-discworlds-unseen-university/page__st__10

I will also post my ideas for the UU here.

THE LIBRARIAN

The librarian is an Orangutan, so I think a frost troll would make for a good starting part as it has the whole primate thing going on. It will need to be scaled down a bit as an orangutan is a bit smaller than the average human. It will then need a sking retex to be less bumpy and more wrinkly, and more for added and texured orange as dictates. The third eye will need to be removed from the model or covered up somehow, and finally the library will need to be programmed to say: "Oook!"

THE WIZARDS

The weight of the wizards poses a problem as some of the higher ranking ones were described as fat. I don't know much about the CK but I think it could be used to extend the weight sliders a bit to depict the wizards gluttony. Their robes will also have to be new as they are described in the book as being quite luxurious, I may be able to do some drawings for the robes but not any time soon. The wizards will also need new spells, maybe we could collaborate with the creator of Midas magic to use a few of his and have him make more. The wizards will also have to be fully voiced, we will be able to find good voice actors on the nexus who will be willing to aid us I am sure.

THE LUGGAGE

If the luggage is to be created the amount of legs will have to be reduced quite a bit, me thinks 10. We could use one of the chest models that is already in game to base the luggage on, then model and add the legs underneath. The animations will be the toughest, but the luggage will not need a lot of them. It will need a walking and running animation. For attacks I think it should be able to barrel into opponents and send them flying, but that will be its only melee function. I think it would work best if we made the luggage into a mostly ranged fighter, opening its mouth and shooting things at opponents: spells, arrows, rocks, bodies and laundry.

THE SHADES

The shades is the most dangerous place in Ankh-Morpork. There will be thieves, murderers and dangerous creatures inhabiting it, and it needs to be dark and dingy. The shades could be a great way to level up in game by facing the horrors in there, and I think we could work with the guy who made the monster mod for the dangerous creatures. The buildings in the shades need to be tall, derelict and covered off with mould.

FAMOUS CHARACTERS

I think we should pick some favorite characters from the books to have as companions. Obviously Rincewind. He could be armed with a dagger and have a 10% chance to launch of a highly damaging spell. Granny weathwax could be armed with... a broom and a stare of death. Death is obviously going to be armed with his scythe and a few summoning spells, but instead of having him as a companion we could have summoning him as a power usable once a day. Cohen the barbarian whilst not a pivotal character MUST be a companion, but his posture would need to be stooped over and he should be armed with a sword and shield. I don't know any other characters as I'm only up to wyrd sisters, but you surely know some.

ARMOUR

This conversion should definitely add some new armor sets to the game and some new clothing. There are many skilled and willing armor makers on the nexus who would be great at doing this. I think we should get in contact with the creator of lore friendly armour sets, his stuff is very high quality.

My ideas will keep coming, hopes yours do to :thumbsup:

Well for the Wizards and their lack of fatness, I suggest going with custom clothing to make them appear fat. And the modified Troll for the Librarian is a great start. Eventually, once, if ever, I get the hang of modeling I will make a proper orangutan.

I was planning on a total conversion but after some time looking through the CK, I can see that it is beyond my capabilities at the moment. So I will simply begin putting together the city of Ankh-Morpork. As for the UU, I will not do any work on that and when yours is work is complete, I will incorporate it into the final city, if you wish. I was however going to model the Octavo and its stand for the basement of the Library. If you are planning to do this I won't, otherwise I am game to give it a shot.

Edited by Voivod333

@Voivoid great Idea for the clothing, thanks for the kudos on the troll - orangutan. I unfortunately am not able to model or texture, so if you want to work on UU I can supply you with ideas and give you contacts. In fact I would very much like it if you worked on UU, but I'm not insisting you start with it.

I think we could use the college as a starting point for UU, expand on it and retexture it a bit. There needs to be the dorms, I can't remember an in depth description of them in the books but I think we could do a tower. The lowliest dorms for the lowliest wizards at the bottom and the most extravagant and large at the top for the 8th level wizards. There is also the kitchen, the great hall, the classrooms, the servants quarters and of course the library. I think we should start with the library. We should write a few new books on lore in the library and have some either unwilling to open or hostile and attacking you so we don't spend too much time on writing. I am curious as to how (or if) you are going to make books attack, maybe you could make it so they just fly around unopened and try to kamikaze you so you don't have to do too much work? I am also unsure as to how many bookshelfs we should put in. I was thinking between 25 and 100.

The Librarian should of course be strolling around and the library should always be populated by wizards, running from books and reading them. I think we'll need some new spells...

SHAPESHIFTING

In equal rites in the battle between the wizard and granny weatherwax there was a lot of shapeshifting. I have seen several mods that allow you to shapeshift and even a video with a link that tells you how to make your own. I think for shapeshifting we could have a new skill branch and maybe 3 things you can change into. Here are the things I think we should make the player able to change into: Giant, Frostbite spider, and Orangutan. I have an idea for the Orangutan and the librarian, but I think it might be too ambitious...

CLIMBING

The books describe the librarian scaling the bookshelfs to find volumes, and it would really add to the game. I don't want you to have to do this as your doing so much already, so we'll find the best animator on the nexus and enlist him.

ILLUSION

I think that most of what discworld wizards do comes under destruction and illusion, so maybe we could find a mod that adds new illusions spells. Spells I think would work well are: Cloning, Increasing size and Blinding. I think we could do a lot with cloning, like creating a clone that instantly dies whilst you turn invisible and walk away, or creating a clone to distract your opponent so your able to finish him off and creating multiple clones. The increasing size could be interesting, you could make yourself larger so that opponents are intimidated and flee, or you could shrink so that you can escape an opponent. Blinding opponents with smoke could create confusion so you can sneak off or kill them. I think that illusion is the most important in a wizards arsenal due to all the other wizards he has to kill and escape.

Tell me what ya thinks :biggrin:

Great ideas. I will help you work on the UU. I work a lot in RL so I will do as much as I can. As for Ankh-Morpork, finding a big enough empty space to put it was causing me grief. But I think I have a solution. Perhaps it will be located between Rorikstead and the Swindler's Den. However, not on the ground but in the air on a floating rocky island. No doubt caused by some botched experiment conducted by Mr. Stibbons from the High Energy Magic Department. Now whether the floating land mass will house just the UU or the entire Ankh-Morpork is as yet undecided.

As for spells, they should be added much later after all the initial building of the UU is complete.

Edited by Voivod333

I'm a modeller, and I have to say that I would definitely prefer to replicate Paul Kidby's illustrations. Anyone know where to get reference images online? Kidby's site has thumbnails of fantastic images of armour and characters to model, but modellers are going to need more than thumbnails.

I think it's also worth mentioning that Pratchett himself did some writing for the Oblivion mod "Companion Vilja".

Great ideas. I will help you work on the UU. I work a lot in RL so I will do as much as I can. As for Ankh-Morpork, finding a big enough empty space to put it was causing me grief. But I think I have a solution. Perhaps it will be located between Rorikstead and the Swindler's Den. However, not on the ground but in the air on a floating rocky island. No doubt caused by some botched experiment conducted by Mr. Stibbons from the High Energy Magic Department. Now whether the floating land mass will house just the UU or the entire Ankh-Morpork is as yet undecided.

As for spells, they should be added much later after all the initial building of the UU is complete.

sounds like a great idea, but you could just create a new world cell and put the city there than you would just have to have a boat or something to transport people their, i wouldnt recommend the floating island ive done something like that but on a smaller scale and it was a nightmare unless your planning on making it from scratch