Capital Wasteland FPS issue

supersniper1

[Edit]

So I don't know if anyone really cares but I wanted to say I fixed my issue by doing the following:

• Completely uninstalled the game
  • Re installed
  • Updated the game to version 1.7
  • Below is my current set up (Changes from original will be in red

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fallout 3 Settings:

• Resolution: 1980x1080
  • Windowed Mode: No
  • Vertical Sync: Off
  • Anistropic Filtering: Off
  • Antialiasing: Off
  • Bloom: Off
  • HDR: On
  • 3.0 Shaders Allowed: On
  • (Fallout 3 set to High settings, except Water set to full settings in Options on Launcher Menu)

INI Tweaks:

• bUseThreadedAI=1 ;Edited: Originally zero but changed to enable threaded AI
  • iNumHWThreads=2 ;Edited: Added in to limit number of cores used to 2
  • fDefaultFOV=120.0000 ;Edited: Originally 75.0000 (to fix terminals, and Player editor menus for being off screen)

Fallout 3 & Launcher Executable Tweaks:

• Compatibility Mode: Windows XP SP3
  • Disable Visual Themes: Yes
  • Disable Desktop Composition: Yes
  • Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings: Yes
  • Run as Administrator: Yes
  • Set Affinity in Task Manager: 2 Cores
  • Allocated More than 2 GB of RAM: Yes

3rd Party Tweaks:

Installed Mods (currently in use):

[solutions]

These are the following outcomes from the changes in red above:

• Can play in a much higher resolution
  • Can play in full screen
  • FPS stays well at 60 (however when I enable the stutter remover I have it limit it to 60 fps, I might change that later)
  • Horizontal tearing is occurring (I need to figure out whats causing that)
  • I get around 45-60 FPS in the Capitol Wasteland constantly (no more FPS drops or memory leaks)
  • Have not had any random crashes at ALL
  • All in All Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition is now playing 100 percent stable on my laptop computer (see specifications for details) I recommend everyone who is having issues to try what I did and see if it works for them. Especially try Zan AutoPurge Crash Protector! (I believe that helped me out, along with the suggests below.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently wanted to play Fallout 3 again... (last time I played it, it was on my Desktop running XP)

Game Information:

• Fallout 3 Game of the Year Edition
  • Purchased in store (2 CD's)
  • DLC installed from CD not LIVE
  • Updated to version 1.7
  • G.E.C.K. not installed

Computer Specs:

• Type of computer: Laptop
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1 (6.1, Build 7601)
  • System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
  • System Model: Inspiron 7720
  • Processor: Intel® Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30 GHz (8 CPU's), Can overclock up to 3.1 GHz
  • Memory: 8GB @ 1600 MHz
  • DirectX Version: 11 (9 and 10 installed as well)
  • Graphics Card Integrated: Intel® HD Graphics 4000
  • Graphics Card Dedicated: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 2GB dedicated Memory, Driver version 306.23
  • Display Monitor: 1980x1080 True HD with 1080p
  • Hard Disk: 1 TB @ 5400 RMP

Windows Performance Rating:

• Processor: 7.6
  • Memory (RAM): 7.8
  • Graphics: 6.8
  • Gaming Graphics: 6.8
  • Primary Hard Disk: 5.9

Fallout 3 Settings:

• Resolution: 1280x720
  • Windowed Mode: Yes
  • Vertical Sync: On
  • Anistropic Filtering: Off
  • Antialiasing: Off
  • Bloom: Off
  • HDR: On
  • 3.0 Shaders Allowed: Off (Turned off for increased performance)
  • (Fallout 3 set to High settings, except Water set to full settings in Options on Launcher Menu)

INI Tweaks:

• bUseThreadedAI=1 ;Edited: Originally zero but changed to enable threaded AI
  • iNumHWThreads=2 ;Edited: Added in to limit number of cores used to 2
  • fDefaultFOV=120.0000 ;Edited: Originally 75.0000 (to fix terminals, and Player editor menus for being off screen)

Fallout 3 & Launcher Executable Tweaks:

• Compatibility Mode: Windows XP SP3
  • Disable Visual Themes: Yes
  • Disable Desktop Composition: Yes
  • Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings: Yes
  • Run as Administrator: Yes
  • Set Affinity in Task Manager: 2 Cores
  • Allocated More than 2 GB of RAM: Yes

3rd Party Tweaks:

Installed Mods (currently in use):

[Description of Issue]

Now it runs fine on my computer, starts up fine, and I can start new games fine. The issue is the capital wasteland. Any other room or area in the game that isn't the capital wasteland I get 60 FPS (because i have it limited to 60 fps) But if I am in the capital wasteland I get max of 15 for around 10 seconds then it drops down to 1-5 and stays there. I cannot travel through it because the frame rate is so low, and it always seems to crash because so much is happening within the capital wasteland that it's too much for the low frame rate to handle. (that's why it crashes only when my fps drops to below 10)

[Random Freezing]

Another issue I have is it sometimes freezes when I am in the middle of shooting (mainly with energy weapons but I'm associating that with the EVE mod)

[ALT+F4 Issue]

And the last issue I am having is ALT+F4 does not completely close the program but sends it hidden into the background (I have to kill the process manually in task manager). Is there a fix for that?

[Recap]

Other than these issues Fallout 3 seems to run pretty well.

So I was wondering is there any way I can increase my FPS without destroying how amazing the game looks because with my specs I should be able to run this game flawlessly with 60+ fps. New vegas runs at 60+ fps including the NMC large texture pack flawlessly and never crashes. How come Fallout 3 can't.

I have Fallout 3 Configator (I tried lowering the amount of decals present but it didn't make a difference)

Again I ask, is there a way to increase the fps of the capital wasteland without destroying how the game looks (IE removing texture packs or lowering the graphic settings)

Edited by supersniper1

• 2 weeks later...