Dawnguard "Bloodline" quest not running

ClayPidgeon162

I'm having a problem with the Dawnguard "Bloodline" quest and Serana. After I talk to her for the first time, the "Awakening" quest ends, but the Bloodline quest doesn't load up, then Serana just walks off the way that I came in rather than follow me. I tried reloading an earlier save right before I started the initial Dawnguard quest (right before I travel to Fort Dawnguard and talk to Isran for the first time), but the same thing happens all over again when I meet Serana. When I checked "getstage DLC1VQ02" in the console, it came back that it was running at stage 5, but the quest itself doesn't show up in my journal or on my map.

Since my character is at level 46, I really don't want to just simply start all over again just to play the DLC. I do have a lot of saves to earlier points in the game, but I'm not willing to go through all those other old quests again if I don't know what's causing the problem in the first place. My main suspest for the problem is a custom race mod I made which depend on the Dawnguard.esm and changes some aspects of it. But, those changes don't seem to be enough to cause this issue.

My character is supposed to be a Dhampir (half-vampire, like Blade) Elf, so I made a Dhampir keyword and added it to the conditions of dialogue topics so Vampires will treat me as though I'm a vampire. The two biggest changes I made were adding new dialogue topics with Serana and Harkin. Instead of using "How did you know I was a vampire?" with Serana, I have a topic "You can tell I'm a Dhampir?" that uses the same response as the previous (and, it works fine in the game). With Harkin, when he offers to change you, I have a topic "I already have vampire blood. I'm a Dhampir." to which he uses the response for when the PC tells him they're a werewolf.

There are no script alterations or additions to either Dawnguard or the main game. I don't see how these changes I did make would cause a conflict since I did the same thing with the main game so that NPC's will react to my character as if they're a Wood Elf and it runs just fine.

While I've found people having issues with Dawnguard related to Serana not following them, my problem seems to be unique, which leads me to believe it probably is somehow related to the custom race mod I made. And all the other mods I'm using I used in a previos play through where I got about a quarter way through Dawnguard before I decided to start a completely new character with a custom made race, with the exception of "Convenient Horses", which seems very unlikely to be causing this problem.

Any help would be appreciated as this is driving me crazy. I'm pretty much done with the game, I just want to finish Dawnguard and move on with my life until the next DLC comes out. Has anyone experienced a similar problem to this?

• 2 weeks later...

Ran into this exact same bug too, except I don't have any custom race mods, so it may not have anything to do with your Dhampir mod.

I made a save right before opening the sarcophagus lid, after the sliding pedestals puzzle.

I can talk to her like usual, but the "Come with me" line does nothing, and she just walks to the way I came in.

Attacking her and Fus Ro Dah'ing her doesn't solve it.

Disabling and enabling her doesn't solve it either.

I use USKP and UDGP, but even without them the bug still stands.

I used to have another nasty bug too, in which after refusing Lord Harkon's gift at the end of "Bloodline" quest and being banished outside the castle, the "A New Order" quest would not start, and there were no fight outside Fort Dawnguard and Isran would not have any new dialogue options.

Console commands refused to work - setstage and setobjectivecompleted commands doing nothing at all - and without previous saves available, I managed to restart the Dawnguard questline by following these steps:

1 - Make a save indoors in a non-Dawnguard related location (inside Dragonsreach for example) and quit the game.

2 - Deactivate dawnguard.esm and all mods that depend on it.

3 - Run the game, load the save you made in point 1, make a new save, quit (if the game CTD at menu, you still have dawnguard dependant mods active).

4 - Reactivate all mods again, run BOSS if necessary.

5 - Run the game again, load the save you made in point 3.

6 - Walk to a guard, he should say the line that starts the Dawnguard questline.

By doing this I got another bug, kept getting in 3rd person view no matter what.

Tried turning into a werewolf (by console command, still haven't touched the Companions questline), the animcam console command, mounting a horse, nothing worked.

Managed to fix it by following the instructions here.

Now I'm getting this "Serana not following and Bloodline not starting" bug ... I'm done with this game, going to gain dust in the shelf for a long time.

Funny thing, I used to play this without problems some time ago, finished all questlines including Dawnguard until only radiants and random exploration became available, lvl 70+ character, got bored and deleted it, started new games and so on, but then I updated to 1.7 and all Hell unleashed.

BTW this is my mod list:

Skyrim.esm

Update.esm

Dawnguard.esm

SkyMoMod.esm

CoD Waking Nightmare II.esm

moonpath.esm

HighResTexturePack01.esp

HighResTexturePack02.esp

Brawl Bugs CE.esp

Brynjolf Dialogue Fix.esp

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp

HighResTexturePackFix.esp

Improved Combat Sounds v2.1.esp

Weapons and Armor fixes.esp

Weapons and Armor fixes - Hacks.esp

Ars Metallica.esp

Ars Metallica - Dawnguard.esp

CalienteVanillaArmorTweaks.esp

Fixed Followers.esp

SkyMoMod_lists.esp

Dragonbone Weapons.esp

Smithing Perks Overhaul - Balanced.esp

Complete Crafting Overhaul - BS version.esp

DeadlyDragons.esp

DeadlyDragonsArmory.esp

CoD Waking Nightmare II.esp

HavenBag.esp

moonpath_questdata.esp

ElementalGauldurAmulet.esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Miscellaneous.esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ammo.esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Spells.esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Potions (Light Weight).esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Food (Light Weight).esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Soul Gems (Ranked).esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Books.esp

Headbomb's Better Sorting - Ingredients.esp

RichMerchants.esp

SkyTEST-RealisticAnimals&Predators.esp

dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp

dD-Dawnguard-MonsterMod EBT Patch.esp

Uncle Sheo.esp

UnreadBooksGlow.esp

dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp

ForgottenMastery.esp

BFSEffects.esp

AlchemyEnhancedXP.esp

The Dance of Death.esp

DeadlyCombat.esp

DeadlyCombat_GiantsAIFix.esp

DeadlyCombat_UnarmedFix.esp

ABT - Faster Bolts Improved +100%.esp

ABT - Faster Arrows Improved +100%.esp

ABT - Progressive Damage (BS and CCO).esp

ABT - Bolts Renamed for BS and CCO.esp

GreenWaterFix_Compatible.esp

BarenziahQuestMarkers.esp

JNwepPerkoverhaul.esp

heavy_armor_buff.esp

Race Abilities and Skills Redone.esp

Racial Perks Instead of Skills.esp

Ultimate training ground.esp

I'm not getting bloat, lvl 40 with the main Dovahkin questline ended and some dragon hunting and bounty radiants done, 7~8 MB.

Running version 1.7.7.0.6, windowed 1778x1000, on Ultra settings, with uGridstoLoad=7, at 40~60 fps.

Not a hardware problem I assure you, but still plagued by those freaking "random freeze/CTRL+ALT+DEL to exit" type of bugs.

Sorry for bad english, and I hope this helped, if not OP, at least someone searching to fix similar bugs.

Well, seems like I managed to solve the problems ... I hope.

Did a fresh install of everything, reverted ugrids back to default values along with the savegames, left a couple mods out and installed optional mod updates manually.

One of the mods I used required Script Dragon, had it installed just for that mod, so I did not install them this time.

Optional mod updates like Quieter Spider Footsteps and Dawnguard Wolf Howl Fix for SkyTEST - Realistic Animals and Predators were installed manually, when before I used NMM to install them.

My Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini were left untouched, except for the ugrids part.

Was able to play for a few hours without those random freezes, and Dawnguard questline is running smoothly so far (going to save that Moth priest).

lvl 42, saves are at 8 MB.

Oh, and I use ENB AntiFreeze Patch 0.096, mainly for the fps counter.

Sorry for double post.

Finally got it working. I don't even remember what I did, but in my attempts to find the source of the problem and fix it, I ended up making it worse. I couldn't even get past the dialogue portion. Once Serana got to the end of our conversation, Serana would just have a "..." dialogue option and loop back through the whole conversation again. I figured it must've been something wrong with the script (not sure if I inadvertantly altered it or if it was affected by a mod, but I'm leaning towards the former). So, I uninstalled the game, deleted all the scripts, then reinstalled, activated all the mods I was using through NMM, and now it works perfectly.

Thanks for answering my thread, and I'm glad you got yours working too.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have this issue too, after Serana's dialogue is finished and I select the "come with me" option to lead her back home, she just walks back to the entrance and won't follow.

I checked the mod list that Kam0laZ posted and disabled the only mods that we have in common and started the Dawnguard quests again, even tried starting a new game and levelling up enough for the Dawnguard quests but the same thing happened.

tried reinstalling Dawnguard and checking TES5Edit for possible conflicts with Serana or the Awakening or Bloodlines quests but to no avail.

If anyone manages to figure out what's causing this or has any thoughts at all on what to try for a fix please help as it's driving me crazy

Edited by MartG66

• 1 year later...
I just recently solved this bug in my game, so i thought i should add my two cents. People have mentioned that interacting with Dawnguard-specific locations before beginning the actual Dawnguard questline may cause problems. In my case, i had cleared out Redwater Den right before starting the Dawnguard main quest. When i started my file back before going to Redwater Den and played through Dawnguard, the mission "A New Order" finally started correctly.

• 8 months later...
I had this same problem of bloodline not starting when I returned to Fort Dawngurd and fixed it by going back to a prior save right before I took Serena to her castle and selecting not to become a vampire in the dialog with her father. Before, when the problem occurred, I had not selected anything when prompted and after her father waited about 1 minute he automatically took that as a refusal to accept his offering.