[WIP] Cerwiden -SMART Healer- Dev Opinion Poll 4

Mujuro

Cerwiden v1.9 Direction  

860 members have voted

1. 1. Should Cerwiden have the ability to use conjuration spells?

• Yes, more meatshields always help
    • No, summoned critters just get in the way
    • I have no preference
  2. 2. As a priestess/healer, should Ceri have better "sneak" capability?

• Yes, the practicalities of sneak outweigh any lore aspects
    • No, there's little lore-based reasoning for a sneak-priestess
    • No, but I wouldn't mind a custom invisibility spell while the player is in sneak
    • I have no preference
  3. 3. How important is having party-combat with role-based archetypes?

• Important, this is probably the single element that makes having multiple followers a PITA, and forces me to play in a way I'd not if followers better understood roles and archetypes.
    • Not important, as I just work my playstyle around the followers I use.
    • Not important, as I don't really play with multiple followers so having them take roles is moot.
    • Not important (for some other reason).

Many religions, and religious orders teach control and mastery of mind and body. This is particularly the case where followers of a religion are oppressed and cannot openly carry weapons of self-defense.

The claim that there's no lore-based reason for a sneaky priestess simply eludes me. What is sneakiness? It's nothing more than applied awareness of and control over the body. The original purpose may not have been to sneak, but the effect is exactly the same. Religious orders teach meditation, teach patience, teach control of the body and stillness of the mind, the body and the soul. Yogis are taught to be indifferent to pain or cold, and control over the circulatory system so that they do not bleed, for example. Some teach their followers to have as little impact on the world as possible, and to be a friend rather than an antagonist to it. Think of St. Francis of Assisi, for example.

Walk softly, carefully, quietly, aware of your own movement, conscious of where you step. Don't startle the birds and animals. This may not be taught as sneakiness as such, but again the effect is the same, just applied to a different purpose.

"It is said, a Shao-Lin monk can walk through walls. Looked for, he cannot be seen. Listened for, he cannot be heard"

"This rice-paper is the test, fragile as the wings of a butterfly! When you can walk its length and leave no trace, you will have learned."

Edited by Kluelos

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there !

Just started to try this mod, quite a good one.

I want to respond for the "should we kick Ceri out of the vanilla system ?". Actually I think that it might be the best.

There more of a space to do modding "on your own" than doing it in the vanilla's limitations.

Sure it would be a bit harder to get the same functions as with a vanilled Ceri on a modded game but, in the end, you also would be able to do more things and escape some silly bugs offered with Skyrim.

• 3 months later...

There's no right-or-wrong answer to this of course; I'm just wondering how many Ceri users would care one way or the other on this question, and I do recognize that changing would impact many users (e.g., I know many of you use CH with Ceri).

Mujuro

My opinion is its up to U... if U change we will adapt.

Also in voting currently. I would suggest U make the sneak thing a option for users to use it or not. I do this on all my followers and have also added it to Ceri. In CK add spell shadow warrior. Edit spell and make it a "Ability" then give it condition "IsSneaking" DONE! Now once U save of course and go into game if player sneaks Ceri casts and maintains the spell shadow warrior until detected by enemy or player quits sneaking,.

• 3 months later...

For your question "Should Cerwiden be taken out of the vanilla follower system?", certainly has both benefits and drawbacks.

I'd say if you can give her a simple/lite version of "followers relax" (sandbox AI) and "convenient horses" (summon horse) features, then yes, take her out of the vanilla follower system. Since it should make your life easier not having to check with every other mod as they update. Makes her compatible with everything, too. =)

• 2 months later...

Hey, Mujuro, making Cerwiden compatible is a huge plus with the follower system.

Also, I know the conjuration poll is losing for more meat shields but is it possible for the future update to have optional conjuration spells?

Thank you for all your hard work again, she is freaking awesome.

Hey, Mujuro, making Cerwiden compatible is a huge plus with the follower system.

Also, I know the conjuration poll is losing for more meat shields but is it possible for the future update to have optional conjuration spells?

Thank you for all your hard work again, she is freaking awesome.

There are plenty of mods in existence to expand your own meatshield summon capacity, do it automatically at combat start or even apply it to worn pieces of equipment. (Smart cast, Elaborate enchantments and another I can't remember)

Further there are tools on the nexus... I think Grimy's? grimies? utilities that will let you add spells to npc's. So you can just give her the spell yourself.

Alternatively after that followers with staffs of conjuration will use them and summon.

This is at least the reason I voted against summons for her since there are so many other options out there to get the same effect, no need to build it into her. No Cerwiden's strength lies in her ability to comply with combat roles and stay and do what I want her to. Giving her conjuration just amounts to one more thing on the battlefield, an effect easily reproduced by other means that don't include more work on Cerwiden.

• 1 month later...

Just started using Ceri, so really can't comment too much about her yet. I do have my other favorite companion of all time ( Vilja ) installed and they seem to compliment each other very well. I'm currently playing as a Stealthy Assassin type character, with Vilja playing the role of tank, with Ceri being our mage / healer...a perfect 3 way team. I'll comment more about Ceri, once I've adventured with her in game longer and have more thoughts to express.

Great work! 2 thumbs way up !!

EDIT: Been playing a few hours, one thing that would be helpful ( unless I am overlooking something ), would be a warp to player if she gets totally stuck. Vilja never gets stuck anywhere, but I've had to back track 3-4 times to find Ceri stuck on terrain. Her summon call doesn't appear to be working correctly ( I'll retest to be sure ).

Edit: 2 Ok, her summon works just fine...must have hit wrong key. However, she does indeed get stuck on terrain a lot, a simple warp to player ( when not looking at her ) would help with this. I know, yes, can summon her...just shouldn't have to every time she gets stuck navigating. Other than that, she's a great companion! Her and Vilja will always be in my load order from now on.

Edited by Falion

• 3 months later...

I've completed her Priestess goals, now when are you going to come out with an update so I can marry her ! (without using console commands, I want her to want to marry my character willingly ) :D lol :tongue:

Edit: Yea I agree with Falion, the first time I played Skyrim I used both Vilja and Ceri, this 2nd time around the game just doesn't feel right with out Vilja lol :P

Edited by gromulos

• 4 months later...

hopefully my suggestion isn't something that everyone & their dog has already mentioned, but i'm a bit tired from reading.

Anyway, i was wondering if you could add an option similar to AFT's "dismiss but hang out here". more specifically, a wait option that allows Ceri to do as she pleases - sleep, eat, chat, etc...i ask this because i read somewhere that using any of AFT's commands screws her up. While she does do her own thing when i'm standing around, i'd like for her to have a "hang around here" option so that if i have to talk to someone far away, i don't have her standing still like a support column.

By the way, great job with Ceri. She does a good job of keeping me alive. =]

also, yawn.