The Skeleton Key

DanteWrath

After again recently acquiring the skeleton key, I remembered how disappointed I was with it the first time.

This item, within the game, has been used be used to open doors that supposedly are impossible to penetrate and supposedly has the ability to unlock someones full potential.

And what do we get? An over-glorified lock pick.

Because the original idea for the mod is very simple, I'll list here first the basic idea, then the possible ways it could be expanded. That way if you are a modder, and you agree the Skeleton Key needs to be enhanced, you can choose the version you feel up to making. Or of course if you like ideas from some sections but not others you may wish to mix and match.

--Basic--

When the Skeleton Key is in your possession, any door (except those that require a key) will automatically unlock when activated.

--Basic, True Skeleton Key-- *My Intended Request*

When the Skeleton Key is in your possession, any door (including those that require a key) will automatically unlock when activated.

--Advanced, True Skeleton Key--

When the Skeleton Key is in your possession, any door (including those that require a key AND Dragon Claw Doors) will automatically unlock when activated.

--Advanced, True Skeleton Key, Unlock Potential--

When the Skeleton Key is in your possession, any door (including those that require a key AND Dragon Claw Doors) will automatically unlock when activated. You will also get the effect 'Unlocked Potential', which will cause all skills to progress 50% faster.

--Advanced, True Skeleton Key, Unlock Potential, Nocturnal's Rage--

When the Skeleton Key is in your possession, any door (including those that require a key AND Dragon Claw Doors) will automatically unlock when activated. You will also get the effect 'Unlocked Potential', which will cause all skills to progress 50% faster. Holding onto the Skeleton Key for more than a couple of days will result in reduced luck as you are defying Nocturnal, this will result in harder Pickpocket attempts and make you slightly easier to spot while sneaking.

--Advanced, True Skeleton Key, Unlock Potential, Nocturnal's Rage, Pursuit--

When the Skeleton Key is in your possession, any door (including those that require a key AND Dragon Claw Doors) will automatically unlock when activated. You will also get the effect 'Unlocked Potential', which will cause all skills to progress 50% faster. Holding onto the Skeleton Key for more than a couple of days will result in reduced luck as you are defying Nocturnal, this will result in harder Pickpocket attempts and make you slightly easier to spot while sneaking. You are not the only one suffering from Nocturnal turning her back, as resulted you are hunted by Thieves, Thieves Guild Recruits and Agents of Nocturnal (Nightingale Spirits) trying to retrieve the key.

--Addons--

-Mercer, Key Holder-

Simply add the Skeleton Key into Mercer's Inventory, allowing people with any 'Kill Essentials' mod to gain the Skeleton Key off of Mercer's Corpse, since getting it via quest would then be impossible.

-Remove Quest Tag-

A simple 'compatibility' mod to compliment the above.

If the Key is gained by killing Mercer early, I would assume it would still be flagged as a quest item.

The problem then is that you would not be able to return the key if you had not reached that stage in the quest, or had killed Mercer while not in the Thieves Guild.

If you were using the 'Advanced, True Skeleton Key, Unlock Potential, Nocturnal's Rage, Pursuit', you may wish to get rid of the key, but not be able to.

This would simply allow you to drop the key somewhere to end 'Pursuit' (And optionally Nocturnal's Rage, though personally I think that would remain as the key was not returned).

Anyway those are my ideas, if anyone feels they would like something like this then I thank you in advance.

If you are a non-modder reading this, please feel free to give me feedback and your own ideas if you have any.

Edited by Dante Wrath

Part of the reason doors require keys and claw doors require claws is because the quests are built that way. You'll run the risk of breaking a lot of quests if you just unlock things that are specifically not meant to be unlocked unless it's part of the quest.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/210/119/+_2acc5a8841f8752904d37f90a8014829.png

And we have essential characters for the same reason, but there are 'No Essentials' mods

There are places with high walls to prevent you getting in for quests, but there are flying mods.

There are mods that can allow you to get infected with Lycanthropy, despite it conflicting with the companions quests

Or mods that allow you to craft quest items.

And dozens more, just because it can be 'Game breaking' doesn't mean it shouldn't be made.

Besides, I've played through this game literally 100s of times, and I have never encountered anywhere that entering before the intended time actually causes any problems.

If you think I'm wrong, try a couple of places and get specifics so your criticism can be constructive.

Edited by Dante Wrath