Generating Static LOD Textures

ub3rman123

I've spent three days solid now trying to get the LOD for my worldspace working. So far I've made a little encouraging progress, but I've gotten stuck at trying to get textures working on static objects. I've followed three separate tutorials now exactly step by step, but I'm now just getting this in the CK's World LOD: Static objects generation.

Using 4 processors/cores.

Creating queue of files to be built...

Building 144 chunks at level 4.

Building 36 chunks at level 8.

Building 9 chunks at level 16.

Building 4 chunks at level 32.

Building object texture atlas...

*** Building level 4 ***

Finished level 4 at (-12,-11) on thread 0; took 0.061000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-16,-11) on thread 2; took 0.116000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-8,-11) on thread 3; took 0.043000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-4,-11) on thread 0; took 0.035000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (0,-11) on thread 1; took 0.063000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-20,-7) on thread 0; took 0.065000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-16,-3) on thread 0; took 0.030000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-12,-7) on thread 2; took 0.050000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-12,-3) on thread 3; took 0.112000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-12,1) on thread 0; took 0.041000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-16,-7) on thread 1; took 0.130000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-8,-3) on thread 3; took 0.089000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-4,-3) on thread 1; took 0.146000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-8,-7) on thread 2; took 0.164000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (0,-7) on thread 3; took 0.089000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-4,-7) on thread 0; took 0.234000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (4,-3) on thread 3; took 0.093000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (0,-3) on thread 2; took 0.138000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-8,1) on thread 1; took 0.108000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (-4,1) on thread 0; took 0.092000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (4,1) on thread 3; took 0.037000 seconds.

Finished level 4 at (0,1) on thread 1; took 0.039000 seconds.

*** Finished building level 4 ***

*** Building level 8 ***

*** Finished building level 8 ***

*** Building level 16 ***

*** Finished building level 16 ***

*** Building level 32 ***

*** Finished building level 32 ***

Waiting for build worker threads to finish...

Build complete.

260090 LOD object triangles.

70270 were rejected (0 degenerate, 70270 under landscape).

311718 total LOD object vertices.

The following issues were detected during the build process:

Wrapping: A vertex in geom 'ShipwreckLarge02_LOD:30' has a texture coordinate well outside of the (0,1) range. Wrapping is NOT supported in LOD.

Wrapping: A vertex in geom 'ShipLarge01_LOD:30' has a texture coordinate well outside of the (0,1) range. Wrapping is NOT supported in LOD.

Wrapping: A vertex in geom 'ShipLongBoat01_LOD:30' has a texture coordinate well outside of the (0,1) range. Wrapping is NOT supported in LOD.

Wrapping: A vertex in geom 'ShipLongBoat01_LOD03:30' has a texture coordinate well outside of the (0,1) range. Wrapping is NOT supported in LOD.

Vertex count: The LOD object named 'Inn01_LOD:0' is too complex for level 1 (1632 vertices; limit is 1024). Simplify this object if possible, especially if it is used multiple times.

Wrapping: A vertex in geom 'WRWallRuinsFree01_LOD_2:0' has a texture coordinate well outside of the (0,1) range. Wrapping is NOT supported in LOD.

Vertex count: The LOD object named 'SNineDivine_LOD_2:3' is too complex for level 2 (678 vertices; limit is 512). Simplify this object if possible, especially if it is used multiple times.

Vertex count: The LOD object named 'SNineDivine_LOD_2:0' is too complex for level 2 (521 vertices; limit is 512). Simplify this object if possible, especially if it is used multiple times.

Wrapping: A vertex in geom 'ShipLongBoat01_LOD03:30' has a texture coordinate well outside of the (0,1) range. Wrapping is NOT supported in LOD.

Wrapping: A vertex in geom 'WRWallRuinsFree01_LOD_2:0' has a texture coordinate well outside of the (0,1) range. Wrapping is NOT supported in LOD.

Vertex count: The LOD object named 'BridgeLong01_LOD_1:6' is too complex for level 2 (536 vertices; limit is 512). Simplify this object if possible, especially if it is used multiple times.

After that, the world looks like this:

http://i1023.photobucket.com/albums/af356/ub3rman123/ScreenShot3-2.jpg

Has anyone else had this and/or found a solution?

Looks like everything generated ok, those error messages are normal.. You know that part where you made a folder source\tgatextures and converted the DDS files to TGA? You will now find a folder ddstextures in that same source folder, with subfolders terrain\yourworldspacename\etc etc

This whole terrain folder should go into the data\textures folder of your main skyrim folder.

...I have NO idea how you did that :O

The files/folders governing LOD (with the \data folder as top-level folder) are

\LODsettings\yourworldspacename.lod

\meshes\terrain\yourworldspacename\*

\textures\terrain\yourworldspacename\*

Get rid of those files and folders, and you're back to a default non-LOD world.

Run Oscape again - select your mod in the first screen, tick "feature map" and "surface map", make sure you're extracting to yourworldspacename.raw (and I always delete my previously generated files if any beforehand), hit extract. Hit accept in the next window if the land and sealevel values look sane to you.

In the next screen, the only value you would conceivably mess with is the "target of mess resolution" (I'm using 1/3rd of Skyrim for testing purposes, go 3/3 for final worldspace, you may prefer other settings)

http://i47.tinypic.com/ofvjt.jpg

Generate your landscape LOD, then install it. Sometimes Oscape bugs out, I usually just press generate again and it goes through, in some extreme cases I exit the app, restart/reextract, and choose different resolution options). If you get errors all the time there may be something wrong with your landscape.

Now load up skyrim and test. If it looks weird or strange with these settings, it's possible you have borked your landscape. There may be a way to fix it, but if so, I don't know about it. I did it once and after ages of trying to remove records and trying to get a sane landscape back I gave up and went back to an earlier backup.

If all looks well fire up the CK, load your mod, generate the static LODs, making sure that for all your static textures there is a corresponding TGA file in source\TGAtextures, then copy over the dds textures files.

Frankly, the fact that I see these square "holes" where there should be cells or at least ocean does not bode well for your mod file - did you at one point try to generate landscape with the CK's landscape generator?

Edited by acidzebra

I don't actually see any holes in the landscape myself. You might be looking at a dip in the land or that rather atrocious looking ice floe (Might remove that, the LOD looks hideous without transparency).

After following that method, the LOD looks the same as my last shot: Mountains at mid-range are missing textures, but not far ones.

I did at one point a while ago attempt to generate land with the CK. Does that mess something up?

What I meant was I get suspicious when I see a lot of right angles in the landscape, like this

http://i48.tinypic.com/33w9w85.png

Could be just dips in the land, I don't know.

And yes, there is a good chance that if you've generated landscape with the CK, worked on, and saved your file your heightmap is shot.

As for your specific screenshot, it looks like either you are either missing some mntcliffXXlod/mntpeakXXlod/mntridgeXXlod files in your TGAtextures and subsequently your DDS folder or they didn't convert correctly. (Or you've designated alternate textures but not placed corresponding TGA files in the source\tgatextures folder)

If you download a copy of GKB green trees, that guy has included a full set of source\tgatextures in his archive and I know for a fact they work. If you overwrite your source\tgatextures with what you find in that archive and you STILL get purple stuff, I have no idea what is going on.

Edited by acidzebra

Downloading that fixed the ice floe and missing Dwemer building textures, but not the mountains, apparently. I'll give the LOD a rest for now, I think. Come back to it in a few months and see how it fares then.

Make sure these tga files are in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Source\TGATextures\lod

mountainpeak01lod

mountainpeak01lod_n

mountainslablod

mountainslablod_n

mountaintrimalphalod

mountaintrimalphalod_n

If you are using custom tga textures make sure they fit on the texture atlas correctly, they must be the correct dimensions to be generated to tile correctly when converted to the dds file.

I've checked and there aren't any missing files from the folder. I have noticed though while wandering about that it's only mountain objects at a sort of medium range; at long range the LOD is fine with the exact same objects.