Using SKSE with NMM & SkyUI on a Steam install

WabbitHunter

I have Skyrim through Steam & have been using NMM to play using Unofficial Skyrim Patch 1.2.5, SkyUI 2.2 & no SKSE. SkyUI complained in the menus about not having SKSE, but that didn't really bother me as I still preferred the enhanced UI.

Just got back from vacation to find that USP 1.2.6 was released, along with SkyUI 3.1. Grabbed both & enabled via NMM. Before I started Skyrim I checked to see what changes SkyUI had. While researching this it looked like SKSE (SKSE_1_06_06) was a firm requirement, and there was also an SKSE enhancement called "Skyrim Script Extender working with Steam" so I grabbed both. I drop all my mods & patches into the same non-Steam directory. Both of these SKSE mods appeared in NMM so I enabled them, but when I start Skyrim I get an initial game pop-up saying "SkyUI ERROR: The Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE) is not running. The SkyUI will not work correctly". I can still access the UI menus but I get errors such as column headers $weight, $value, etc. and of course it doesn't look like the screenshots of the UI I find on the intertubes. Scouring the forums & the Googles didn't present a similar case, and I would rather not jack up my files to the point of having to reinstall. Here are my questions:

1) should I not manage SKSE & SKSE/steam with NMM? Can NMM even do it? I see they had install instructions & read several install guides (GophersVids) but I made the assumption that NMM would be able to manage them.

2) I also assumed that if I tried to install SKSE manually (renaming TESV.exe) that Steam would check the game files, find errors & correct them, thus undoing my install. Will Steam allow the install & renaming of these files?

3) Is this all just an incompatibility error with the new version of SkyUI/SKSE/USP, and I should just wait for one of them to update?

4) SkyUI 2.2, when enabled through NMM, does a mini GUI install but I don't get that on SkyUI 3.1. Is it normal for it to just say "installed" when activated?

5) I validated my Steam game cache & it says 1 file fails to validate, but never seems to update despite Steam/Skyrim/system restarts. Am I at the point where I need to reinstall?

You need to launch Skyrim with the Launch SKSE option in the top left. To change to SKSE instead of Skyrim you need to click the down arrow right next to the name "Launch Skyrim" and it should have "Launch SKSE". You'll want to do that every time you want to play Skyrim.

You need to launch Skyrim with the Launch SKSE option in the top left. To change to SKSE instead of Skyrim you need to click the down arrow right next to the name "Launch Skyrim" and it should have "Launch SKSE". You'll want to do that every time you want to play Skyrim.

What this guy says. I remember having SKSE installed along with SkyUI, and always receiving that same error message. Then I realized that their is a drop-down list in NMM that allows you to choose SKSE to launch your game. Which is what actually turns SKSE on. I am unaware if you can still launch Skyrim with SKSE from the Steam launcher, unless one manages to change the launching path from SkyrimLauncher.exe to skse_loader.exe.

EDIT: Actually, you can used the + ADD A GAME function, and then reference the skse_loader.exe.

Edited by UDK450

That did it, with some tweaking.

In Nexus Mod Manager:

- disabled SkyUI v2.2 & enabled v3.1

- enabled skse_1_06_06

- enabled Skyrim Script Extender working with Steam

- followed instructions 1-4 in Skyrim Script Extender w/Steam, renaming TESV to TES_, etc,

--- Used NMM to start via: Launch SKSE option as you said.

- tamed dragons with my bare hands

- ???

- Profit !

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...