Is there a proper load order for the official Add-ons?

clp120591

Just recently I installed the Hearthfire add-on into Skyrim and everything seemed to be running fine for a while. However, after purchasing the Lakeview Manor plot I experienced a drastic increase in both loading and saving times in Skyrim. I disabled amost all of my mods to investigate the root cause, but so far the culprit seems to point directly to Hearthfire. Part of me is thinking that it may have to do with the fact that I changed the load order of the ESM files in order to coincide with each of my add-ons' chronological release, however I am unsure if this is the case. Please let me know if i've put my ESM files in the right order.

Here's my load order with the few mods I have enabled:

• Skyrim.esm
  • Update.esm
  • Dawnguard.esm
  • HearthFires.esm
  • Dragonborn.esm
  • Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
  • Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
  • Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
  • Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
  • SkyUI.esp

Also, my current save file is ~10MB. I'm not sure if that's a high or low number, but if it is a bit high could anyone recommend a way to reduce bloat? Thanks in advance! Scratch that. Hearthfire ate my character's related save files for some reason.

Edited by clp120591

there is a mod that is called Skyrim Save Cleaner or something of that sort

i am not sure if that is the tool for you, but i am sure that there is such a tool to fix what may be the problem for you

you see, save bloat is (as far as i understand) a result of many unused or 'junk' entries saved inside your save files

there is at least one tool to clean such entries from your save files, hence reducing save files' size and loading times

now, i'm not sure what was the cause for the sudden increase in both save file size and loading times, and i am having a hard time believing it's because of Hearthfire, but anything is possible

as for the actual topic, as far as i know, there is no specific order to the DLCs, and there shouldn't be one, and the load order your present seems fine for me

though i should point that removing mods shouldn't (as far as i know) remove the actual junk entries from the save files, because the entries and values aren't removed with the actual mods' data (again, as far as i know, and i may be wrong here)

i wish you luck, and i hope you get this to work properly

Hey all! Just an update to say that I believe I've found the root of the problem. I had forgotten that I subscribed to Birds and Flocks on the Steam Workshop which, according to the mod author, was not compatible with Hearthfire. I have since fixed the problem by downloading his Hearthfire-compatible version. It's a shame that one of my characters had to be erased from this mistake, but I suppose I can't blame anyone other than myself. Thanks for your input!

• 1 year later...

Here ya go...

• Skyrim.esm
  • Update.esm
  • Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
  • Dawnguard.esm
  • Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
  • HearthFires.esm
  • Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp
  • Dragonborn.esm
  • Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp
  • SkyUI.esp

Basic load order starting point (IMHO), just make sure you install SKSE as well (lastest version and manual install preferred from here)

Edited by AuGuRSGFX