Skyrim strange graphics problem, please help! /rage

SpikeAbercrombie

i need help i keep being haunted by this annoying casper-like rectangle!!! in first person its under my feet, and in third person it floats around and follows my mouse movements, i have tried reinstalling, uninstalling mods, changing vsync, AA, AF, FXAA, pretty much all settings and it still pops up, sometimes it is gone and sometimes it is there, it usually happens after i fast travel or enter a house, HELP!!!

http://tinypic.com/r/wk4xh1/6 ------casper box maxi pad

A few thoughts:

- You've uninstalled all of your mods, and still this did not fix the issue? Curious, but does this also include any graphical mods you may have installed (UI overlays, custom cursors, that sort of thing)?

- Have you attempted to update your display drivers? Probably not the culprit, but if it is graphics-related, could conceivably cause an issue.

- Try having Steam validate your files. Sometimes weird things like this happen due to a file getting changed somehow, so revalidating through Steam does tend to at least ensure the core files are intact.

- Is this problem isolated to just a single character? Is it every character you play? Have you attempted to start a new game and see if the problem persists? Likewise, what happens if you revert to a previous save (such as one that is really old)?

Trying to narrow down the root cause will help a lot in trying to get this issue resolved.

-thanks for the reply legend8804!! and yeah i have completely uninstalled mods and skyrim, i now have a clean skyrim with just the DLC and official patches only

-i recently have installed 314.07 for crysis 3 and i have been meaning to try a newer or older version to see if my lighting artifact goes away

-i have validated and rechecked files probably over 10 times lol seems to be more of a lighting artifact or something

-and this is something else i need to test, i as of now only have 1 orc character with 60 hours playtime, i will try to login with my gf's character and see if the rectangle pops up after i fast travel

once again, thanks for the reply! and help me to shed some light on my issue, skyrim runs nearly perfect for me, no crashes so far and only encountered 2 quest bugs, just cant seem to get rid of this lighting artifact casper ghost box thingy, if i can make it go away i can finally enjoy skyrim 100%!!

One other thought: Even if you completely uninstalled Skyrim, it is entirely possible that the original .ini files may have been left over. It could be that perhaps some changes were made to your .ini that could cause an artifact such as this - particularly if, in your modding frenzy, you made some changes to how Skyrim looks.

You may want to take the time to delete your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini so that the next time you launch the game can re-generate them. It's worth a try, if you find that the issue persists with other characters.

i seem to have fixed my problem on accident lol i had FXAA enabled in skyrim options and nvidia control panel, along with 2x forced anti-aliasing, after disabing FXAA in skyrim and nvidia CP, boom! no more casper box.

Running skyrim now on 8x forced anti-aliasing with FXAA disabled. i also updated to 314.14 beta driver, so that might have fixed it also

Runs like a charm!! My character "Iwrestledabearonce" lvl 31 Orc says thank you to legend8804 who made me want to tweak around with my settings, and also thank you anyone who viewed this and laughed at my bugged casper artifact xD

My character--

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=6sfcld&s=6

majora's mask moon says thank you also!

Edited by SpikeAbercrombie

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the same issue but nothing seems to fix it...once in awhile if i swiftly move the mouse, looking up and quickly down, it fades and sometimes it goes away or it gets worse....please help! im running on a low-end computer and settings are at medium-low.