R&D Inventory, Items & Weapons Overhaul

anUser

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As part of a much larger overhaul in Long War I figured out how to tag on a bunch of additional stats to weapons and armor. But unfortunately it's not generally applicable to vanilla.

In Long War EW we removed the use of the difficulty-specific ItemBalance entries, so only ItemBalance_Normal is used to configure the costs of all items. We have more than enough new items being added without adding 4x the entries to try and configure different costs/build times for each item for each difficulty :p

What I ended up doing was using one of the unused ItemBalance entries (ItemBalance_Classic) to configure a bunch of extra information about items :

; extra weapon and armor stat configuration (in BalanceMods_Classic entries)
; eType		-- item ID (only numbers, eItem enum does not)
; iDamage	-- flight fuel, works only for weapons/items
; iCritHit	-- model size adjustment in three dimensions, xxxyyyzzz, where xxx is barrel direction, in % of baseline, so 110100100 is 10% longer gun.
; iAim		-- aim, works only for armors
; iDefense 	-- defense, works only for weapons and items
; iHP		-- damage reduction, works for weapons/armor/items xx = x.x DR, so 5= 0.5
; iMobility -- mobility, works only for weapons/items
; iWill		-- regeneration, works for weapons/armor/items; requires regeneration perk to be applied elsewhere (which provides a base +2 regen)

This is what will allows us to configure mobility bonus/penalties on a per item basis, for example, as well as defense, as well as configuring DR for both weapons, items and armors.

All this is in the beta 10 version, which isn't yet released, though ...

Ah! I suspected that might be the case. Well, that's not too disadvantageous as far as I'm concerned. DR for armour is something I'd trade almost any other feature for (HP type armour is a terrible representation of armour penetration mechanics...), and I have no use for difficulty settings. I'm on a quest to make a 'realistic' mod that seeks, as much as is reasonably possible to make the game conform to real world data on ballistics, armour penetration, energy weapons, battlefield psychology, etc.

Now, that looks like % damage reduction, yes? Have you implemented flat damage-DR type reduction, like with your Tank modlet? If not, since I believe you have it for certain aliens in Long War, would it be very difficult to add to the already existing framework above?

• 3 weeks later...

While strolling through the XCOM code in XComGame.upk, I discovered that the saveable XGLoadoutInstances (which records which items are attached to which attachment points for XGInventory) only allows :

var XGInventoryItem m_aBackpackItems[5];

up to 5 backpack items max. The actual loadout code itself allows for 3 non-backpack small items, which are attached to : eSlot_LeftThigh, eSlot_LeftChest, and then eSlot_LeftBelt. Any additional non-backpack small items aren't loaded out, resulting in no tactical-game functionality. Also, only the eSlot_LeftThigh draws the weapon mesh attached to the soldier pawn.

So even though the TInventory allows for up to 16 large and 16 small items, the Loadout code only allows for 3 non-backpack and 5 backpack small items. Just something to consider if increasing the number of small item slots.

• 10 months later...

I've edited my DGC.ini to have all armors grant 2 small item slots instead of 1, which works fine, but what I notice is that nearly every mission, I need to reassign the 3rd loadout slot in the mission prelaunch menu because it was cleared by the game automatically again.

I'm not really understanding much of what was discussed here except that some flash mod could resolve the issue I am experiencing?

The wiki pages linked also don't work - they direct me to the tes wiki main page

Yeah, about the links. Nexus changed the syntax for the wiki recently, so old links in the threads are going to be broken.

Old "Item Loadouts" link.

New "Item Loadouts" link.

The difference is that they now add "?title=" after the "index.php" (replacing the trailing "/") and before the wiki page title. So, if you insert that in old links they should then work. (I can only fix my own post links, which I have done using this technique.)

The "Item Loadouts" article should help you fix your 3rd slot problem.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Thanks for fixing the link.

I've read that article, but it shouldn't apply to my case?

I only incremented my small slots by 1, which means I wouldn't have more than 3 backpack or nonbackpack small items, which is within the limit of the upk?

So I have 2 small item slots base (up from 1), +1 from research = 3 total, but the third slot often gets automatically unloaded between missions (but works fine within missions when re-loaded out)

While it is possible the LW team has discovered something I am not aware of, "Item Loadouts" is the only way otherwise known to "pre-load" an item slot. I am not aware of any reason why this should not apply to your situation, but I'm only the Librarian; not a mod creator. If the game is clearing out the third slot automatically, then you would have to identify the function doing that and modify it's behavior. Amineri is the one most likely to know for certain, having developed the additional slot mod originally as I recall.

Do note that when a soldier gets wounded, their equipment is processed by a different routine than when they simply return to the barracks. It might be that which is causing your third slot to get cleared out "sometimes". It would help if you can pin down the circumstances.

-Dubious-

Yeah it happens when soldiers get wounded or also to soldiers who I send off for psi/gene mods or those who I simply didn't use for several missions. Those who are healthy and are not removed from the active squad don't seem to get the issue