Forcing game to load from DefaultGameCore.ini

Amineri

Heroic response Dubious,

My appologies for that somewhat somber original reply - I PM'd Kartarasha when I realised that my UE plug had nothing to do with tracing offsets in the .exe and had a kind of off putting tone too (just a symptom of my own private failure with a particular function at the moment).

My analogy was pretty sound though, no?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

How exactly do I do this? I need a hex editor? Or can i just open with Notepad++ and edit the line?

***EDIT***

Would this not be easier for us total noobs to just have the file somewhere on here that we can just download? I dont understand all that HEX stuff, I tried so many times to figure it out, and it was no use lol. Anyone able to just upload the file somewhere with that one change so I can then not worry about ModPatcher and can just do the modding i need/want? :)

Edited by Remenents

The change to force the DGC.ini to load from file is made to the executable, and we can't re-distribute the executable without falling afoul of copyright issues.

Since the change is to text, in theory Notepad++ could edit the executable, but I don't think it could save it correctly, so a hex editor is the best choice.

I don't believe that anyone has released a patcher that will update the executable to implement this in an automatic fashion, either.

I could not make this to work.

#1. I edited the DGC.INI; changed the default pistol to do 5 damage. Save.

#2. I modified the exe file as per instruction here using HxD. Save.

Run the exe, load up a save game, and check the Barracks to view the damage of the gun. no dice.

Run a new game, alien spotted, aimed with the pistol, "damage 1".

Maybe, this DGC modification does not change weapon's damage? Can anyone verify this?

Edited by ragnakore

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are too reluctant to directly modify the game EXE in order to apply the "Disabling Hash checks" and "Enabling INI loading" mods, I have uploaded a CMD (batch) script EXEPatcher to Nexus to do it for you. It requires you to separately download and install the 'bsdiff' open source package from an external site which is linked there.

While the script tries it's best to figure out where everything is located, it also contains some clearly identified variable at the beginning which can be modified to point to the necessary location. Just run it first and it will tell you what it can't locate. You will definitely have to point it to where you install the 'bsdiff' package as that doesn't update the registry.

The patch file included was created with another script EXEDiff which can be used to make your own patches. This can be useful to someone who may wish to apply patches in sequence rather than all at once.

Both scripts are easily customized to work with any game or other executable, and can be installed to any location. Only the patch file needs to be located with the game executable, and even that can be altered if you can find your way through heavily commented code.

Additional 'bsdiff' patch files can be included as required. If anyone has one they would like me to add to the page, feel free to contact me.

-Dubious-