Help me get 60FPS back on SkyrimLE

xvykariousx

Recently I went back to modding Skyrim LE. I've always had issues with FPS in the past with heavily modded setups even with my GTX 980Ti and i5-6600k processor so I usually wouldn't bother.

So this week I made a tweak in my SkyrimPrefs.ini that somehow seemed to boost my FPS to nearly steady solid 60 frames even in heavily modded areas with ENB, 2k textures, and JK's city mods at 1080p. I was ecstatic. Then I stupidly copied over the SkyrimPrefs.ini of another modder as part of their modding guide and it ruined it for me. No more 60 FPS in heavily modded areas. In fact, it was nearly cut in half.

Can anyone tell me what would have possibly affected my FPS that much? I recall messing around with windowed mode in the launcher and setting it to be 1920x1080 in the SkyrimPrefs.ini but I tried that again and it seemed to make no difference than standard Fullscreen mode.

Delete the Skyrimprefs.ini you installed from the mod author, then start Skyrim again using the shortcut you used when you first installed the game. The game will generate a new .ini, and you can redo the edits that you made. (You can set your screen resolution on that initial menu without having to tweak the .ini.) Just a note on .ini's...never install someone else's .ini. It's better to compare it to yours, then make any required edits. All too often, ini's contain other tweaks that may work fine for one person and totally tank for someone else.

Delete the Skyrimprefs.ini you installed from the mod author, then start Skyrim again using the shortcut you used when you first installed the game. The game will generate a new .ini, and you can redo the edits that you made. (You can set your screen resolution on that initial menu without having to tweak the .ini.) Just a note on .ini's...never install someone else's .ini. It's better to compare it to yours, then make any required edits. All too often, ini's contain other tweaks that may work fine for one person and totally tank for someone else.

Thank you. I realize now that I made a mistake in doing that as now I can't remember what changes I had made to my own .ini that boosted my FPS so much. I will try what you said.