Photo

Random crashing within an hour of gameplay. Is this vram related?

vram ctd randomctd help skyrimse skyrim mods skyrimspecialedition

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

oddxfellow

oddxfellow

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 47 posts
Active Mod Files:
Spoiler

Im having trouble with random ctds within an hour after beating the first quest of the main storyline 
 ive been attepting to narrow down the mods to see if there is any conflicts but i have yet to fix this problem im thinking it could possibly be vram related can anyone offer any advice or insight as to if this is vram related? i would appreciate it. my load order is above with some of the follower mods i created. and here are my computers specs:

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060/ Intel® UHD Graphics 630
        Manufacturer: NVIDIA
           Chip type: GeForce RTX 2060
VRAM: 6gb
RAM:16.384
is this enough vram to handle these mods?

IsharaMeradin

IsharaMeradin

The Pale Redguard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,922 posts

Might require some testing.  You said that is crashes within an hour after completing a certain quest.

Can you play the game for longer sessions before that quest is completed without crashing?  I.E. Use LAL to start somewhere else and do other things for a while.

Does it always crash within an hour after completing said quest even if the LAL starts vary?

If you save immediately after finishing said quest, exit the game and restart the game, does it still crash within an hour?

Is there anything in common with the crashes, other than time frame?  Are you approaching a location where a courier or other spawned NPC could be appearing?

blitzen

blitzen

Adventurer

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

VRAM usage is primarily related to texture resolution, so unless you are using a lot of 4k textures, it's probably not that. It's more likely a random bad mesh somewhere. One thing you can try is teleporting to an isolated interior cell and waiting long enough to reset everything, especially leveled lists. This is much easier if you have a mod to speed up waiting. I've had crashes after I've added mods that have changed the leveled lists because some weird stuff can happen. The last time I did that some NPC's weren't wearing armor.

If that doesn't solve it, start looking at mods you've installed recently. I had to uninstall a mod after games for multiple characters started to crash randomly. It was a simple mod that added a new type of animal around Skyrim. It must have had a bad mesh (which can probably be repaired using Cathedral Assets Optimizer), because for one character, the saves wouldn't even load, including older saves that had worked previously. Removing the mod stopped all crashes and all saves now load.

oddxfellow

oddxfellow

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 47 posts

I appreciate you guys for the input and will take your advice.. so last time i played skyrim i deleted the mods: omega and patches, colorful magic and some monsters mods that add new creatures and started a new game, i did get further in the game this time but after 4 hours i got a infinite loading screen.. but maybe it isnt a vram ctd after all since i dont have any 4k texture mods.. Im going to see if i can find the culprit.

blitzen

blitzen

Adventurer

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

You can try using Skyrim Performance Monitor, if that's available for SE. That will show you resource usage, including VRAM, RAM, etc,

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vram, ctd, randomctd, help, skyrimse, skyrim, mods, skyrimspecialedition

IPB skins by Skinbox
Page loaded in: 1.214 seconds