I'm not sure if I understood the question correctly. But sweeps for any meshes are easy to do. If you are working in 3d max, then the Unwrap UVW modifier is used. The splines are pre-processed by the UVW map modifier (otherwise bs materials will not be placed on them). In unwrap uvw you simply lay out polygons, laying out all the textures piece by piece for your unwrap. Then go to tools / render uvw templaite and save dds. Make textures based on it and assign a material to them.

The first thing I found in English (I have all the videos, unfortunately, only in Russian)

Edited by South8028

Ah, ok ...

Is there a way to "snap" points of a UV map to the "corners" of that square texture area in the UV editor in 3dsmax?

Otherwise this will be impossible to have the UV map exactly as big (in width anyway) as the texture ...

I'm not sure if I understood the question correctly. But sweeps for any meshes are easy to do. If you are working in 3d max, then the Unwrap UVW modifier is used. The splines are pre-processed by the UVW map modifier (otherwise bs materials will not be placed on them). In unwrap uvw you simply lay out polygons, laying out all the textures piece by piece for your unwrap. Then go to tools / render uvw templaite and save dds. Make textures based on it and assign a material to them.

I am not trying to create new textures, I am trying to use vanilla textures in my custom meshes.

I don't know about max, but with blender I can tell it fit the texture, or edit the UV map (just like you would a 3D mesh) and it can be set to not allow to go beyond the texture borders (so, you could just drag the grips to the corners)

If I select a bunch of faces and then unwrap the UV it fills up the texture by default.

Edited by RoNin1971

I am not trying to create new textures, I am trying to use vanilla textures in my custom meshes.
A. Then I'm sorry. I don't use vanilla textures. But, you probably have a difficult task. Need similar geometry and manually pull textures over it? It would be much easier for me to make new ones than to do something like that.

I don't know about max, but with blender I can tell it fit the texture, or edit the UV map (just like you would a 3D mesh) and it can be set to not allow to go beyond the texture borders (so, you could just drag the grips to the corners)

If I select a bunch of faces and then unwrap the UV it fills up the texture by default.

Never mind, I found it, there is a way to do the "snap to edge" thing ...

(Snapping the selected point to the corner of the texture in the UV editor).

And now I will be splitting up and re-working about 50 meshes ...

Never mind, I found it, there is a way to do the "snap to edge" thing ...

(Snapping the selected point to the corner of the texture in the UV editor).

And now I will be splitting up and re-working about 50 meshes ...

While you are at it, you might want to consider cutting your mesh in 2. Like most vanilla parts. That way you need less meshes in total. (as you can create 4 variants with walls and doors using those 2 half's .... just a tip :wink: )

A bit more like this is what I mean (from my own work on vault pieces):

52537461-1616980185.png

Edited by RoNin1971

Well your example doesn't really have any tileable textures that meet.

So it doesn't really matter if the UV is done properly ...

(Unlike something like the interior concrete wall pieces that you find in the vanilla game ...)

How would I make the UV mapping fit something like this:

73722383-1625424214.png

It is the "wall" part of that "hallway with door" - mesh that I showed previously.

I am using the "Utility Elevator Concrete Wall" texture thing from the base game ...

(Texures/Interiors/Utility/concreteelevatorwall01.dds)

Well your example doesn't really have any tileable textures that meet.

So it doesn't really matter if the UV is done properly ...

(Unlike something like the interior concrete wall pieces that you find in the vanilla game ...)

How would I make the UV mapping fit something like this:

It is the "wall" part of that "hallway with door" - mesh that I showed previously.

I am using the "Utility Elevator Concrete Wall" texture thing from the base game ...

(Texures/Interiors/Utility/concreteelevatorwall01.dds)

They do.

The example covers all 4 walls (including the doorway facing you) and without the metal corner piece the wall would continue seamless :wink:

The second example has a seamless floor. (as extra displayed at the top left corner)

...and yes, it can be a bit of fiddling at times to get it right.

Your case is not much different.

Make each wall and the ceiling fit the entire texture. (in width. this might mean you need to scale down the height for the ceiling UV, but you could expand beyond the borders like I did with my example)

If the texture is applied to be repetitive (it should) you could easily just scale the UV to fit the width of the texture. This means it will be expanding above and below the texture. As it will repeat and it is a tile-able texture, all should be well.

52537461-1625427968.png

... Or:

52537461-1625428435.png

Edited by RoNin1971