Are my mods conflicting?!?! Need help, please!

livelylaughter

I have about 50+ mods for Skyrim, ranging from graphic enhancements for environment and characters, to added armor and weapons, additional companions and improved for those companions. As well a lot of other types, as I keep trying to get a better experience a more natural yet epic looking environment, and just for more fun.

Anyway I think some of the mods may be conflicting with one another, as now and then I come across landscapes (town, caves, and forests) where the texture overlays are completely missing. All that's there is a garbled color wrapped around a tree, or rock, or just spotty acrossed a field. Other times the effect that should be happening, such a change in companion behavior, doesn't change. Plus when I try installing to mods, I'm frequently asked if I want to overwrite the files of another mod.

Worse though is after I installed the "Opethfeldt6 ENB", (which looks like one of the "potentially" best yet) I decided to start a new game and it starts with the character standing facing an empty cart with a bunch of NPC's looking at the character, whereas instead the character (PC) should be inside riding the horse and carriage along with other NPC's.

Also lately game play and loading have been very sluggish, yet these are the specs on my system:

Win 7 Professional 64-bit

Intel i5-3570 4-core @ 3.40GHz
16GB Ram
1GB GDDR5 GPU NVidia Geforce GTX 560TI
1TB Harddrive
Blu-Ray Burner

So I'm not sure what to do to properly fix these problems. I've thought about uninstalling all the mods and starting over, but then aren't they already interwoven into the game now? Wouldn't that just cause more problems? I even considered reinstalling Skyrim itself, but I had a major hassle trying to get Skyrim through Steam working the first time.

I should mention that I am at about an average skill level when it comes to installing mods. If it requires a manual edit to system files or locating some obscure folder to replaced with a new one along with the mod. I can do that, but it takes a couple hours. Because I am very cautious and I'm not accustom to switching system/game files manually. So please, I appreciate any help on this, I just ask for your patience! Especially if your tip/suggestion requires several steps to be done, please write them out in detail! I realize many of you have programming level skills, whereas me, I'm a 3d modeler/artist. When it comes to programming and diving into the game directories I have to take it very slow, but I can do it with full instructions. :smile:

Alright so I have attached several images, two of them are the list of mods I've installed through the Nexus Mod Manager along with the manual install of the "Opethfeld6ENB" which doesn't show there. The other three images are screen captures showing the way "new game" opener is starting but shouldn't.

Lastly I recently updated the Nexus Mod Manager to 0.45.2.

::side note:: I'll have to attach the rest of the images separately. Not enough upload room.

Edited by livelylaughter

I recommend downloading BOSS: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6/?

I don't have much experience using NMM and don't really like it much as I tend to install all of my mods manually. BOSS will rearrange your load order to help stop any conflicts. I have one solution but with the amount of mods that you have I suggest waiting for someone who is more experienced in finding mod conflicts to assist you. My method would be going through your entire load order disabling mods to see which mod causes the issue. The one thing you should do is disable all of your mods and see if the issues are still happening with the base game. When your installing mods always check what the mods are compatible with it. Hope i helped at lease a little :biggrin:

Thank you! Your idea is a very good starting point! I hadn't really thought about de-activating them all and trying one by one.

So, again, thank you!

I recommend downloading BOSS: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/6/?

I don't have much experience using NMM and don't really like it much as I tend to install all of my mods manually. BOSS will rearrange your load order to help stop any conflicts. I have one solution but with the amount of mods that you have I suggest waiting for someone who is more experienced in finding mod conflicts to assist you. My method would be going through your entire load order disabling mods to see which mod causes the issue. The one thing you should do is disable all of your mods and see if the issues are still happening with the base game. When your installing mods always check what the mods are compatible with it. Hope i helped at lease a little :biggrin:

BOSS should not be installed via a mod manager, because it's a utility, not a mod.Either download the auto-installer version of BOSS and run it, or download the archived version and install it manually, following the instructions. After that, run BOSS, and it will output a log containing your mod load order as well as a host of messages about them. Copy/paste that entire log into a spoiler tag here, so it will not clutter the screen. If there is a separate tab in the log that lists plugins which BOSS does not recognize, copy/paste that here as well, and also put it into a spoiler tag.

Edited by ripple

OH! Ok, I'll give that a try.

By the way, I did install BOSS separately, I couldn't do it any other way, but when it was running I would attempt to do something with the Mod Manager and Nexus would just crash.

BOSS should not be installed via a mod manager, because it's a utility, not a mod.Either download the auto-installer version of BOSS and run it, or download the archived version and install it manually, following the instructions. After that, run BOSS, and it will output a log containing your mod load order as well as a host of messages about them. Copy/paste that entire log into a spoiler tag here, so it will not clutter the screen. If there is a separate tab in the log that lists plugins which BOSS does not recognize, copy/paste that here as well, and also put it into a spoiler tag.

Edited by livelylaughter

Woah!! I just finished uninstalling all my mods, except the "Opethfeldt6 ENB", which I installed manually and the game finally works again! Except I don't see any of the improvements thta the "Opethfeld6 ENB" mod is suppose to do.

How do I know if I install the "Opethfeld6 ENB" currently?

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...