Unrealistic expecations on modders.

gunslinger6792

First off I'll start of by saying this may be a bit of rant I'm sorry. I've part of this site for nearly 4 years and finally decided to buckle down and mod. Since I don't know how to script or make models I decided to build a house. I know a lot of people build houses and some are extremely good, others not so much. So I decided to go through multiple files and take notes on what they did and how they did it. After getting a feel for things I've released two mods which I can I'm very proud off. They're not the best but they are good(atleast I think so)

And this is where I've become disgruntled you could say. I released my mod and at last count it had 4 endorsements,4. People have downloaded but leave hardly any feedback. I've had a few give useful comments but they were people who did beta testing for me. And then you get the its too this its too that comment but thats it. If I go through the files and see what buildings have 4 endorsements most of them just aren't that good. After talking with another mod author who made a house who got a whole 12 endorsements it got me thinking. Either people just don't want homes anymore or they have unrealistic expectations. Or perhaps they don't care to respond. People only seem to want weapons and even then if you read through the comments it gets ugly. People without modding experience criticize everything they do. Don't believe me check out millenias weapon comment pages or erpodox. Its at the point were I have to wonder if theres even a point to me modding and releasing and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks this. Maybe I'm just new at this and these problems I've mentioned have always been there. Sad thing is that the people probably reading this aren't the ones that need too. My point is I guess that its demoralizing and I doubt its better on any of the other nexus sites. Let me know what you guys think even if you think I'm dead wrong I'd love to hear why.

Edit: this may not be the best part for this topic but I couldn't think of any place better maybe mod talk I'm not sure.

Edited by gunslinger6792

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good points. I think most people downloading mods don't leave feedback because they simply aren't aware that they should and can. Some pop-ups to remind users to leave feedback on files would be great, I'm sure it would urge them to do so.

Good points. I think most people downloading mods don't leave feedback because they simply aren't aware that they should and can. Some pop-ups to remind users to leave feedback on files would be great, I'm sure it would urge them to do so.

Pops sound like an interesting idea but I wonder if they'd just annoy people too. If they have pop up blockers it may not work unless you added as part of the download process.

Good points. I think most people downloading mods don't leave feedback because they simply aren't aware that they should and can.

Not to mention that some simply forget. I've only recently gone through most of the mods I downloaded and given them endorsements, and the uploaders kudos.

Weapons can be messy. I've seen some of the earlier comments in the Classic Fallout Weapons and some don't realise that the intention of many weapon mods isn't to create an exact replica of the real life counterpart. Linerunner had to put up with a lot of crap. Thankfully, the offenders were swiftly shot down, but with increasing popularity (hence more comments) this can be difficult to do.

Edited by GimmeBackMyMoney

There is some truth to the whole "no one wants a house mod" line of thought you have: I'm fairly sure that, by now anyway, most people already found the house mod that they're planning on sticking too. Or don't even need a house mod. I myself just use Novac as my home base.

As for the demoralizing effect, the best advice I can give is don't take it too personally. Even the most popular mods here on the Nexus don't exactly have a good "endorsements to downloads" ratio. The question you have to ask yourself is this: Do you actually need dozens, hundreds, or thousands of people endorsing/congratulating to actually feel good about your work? If you're modding simply to get praise, then you're going to have a bad time.

There is some truth to the whole "no one wants a house mod" line of thought you have: I'm fairly sure that, by now anyway, most people already found the house mod that they're planning on sticking too. Or don't even need a house mod. I myself just use Novac as my home base.

As for the demoralizing effect, the best advice I can give is don't take it too personally. Even the most popular mods here on the Nexus don't exactly have a good "endorsements to downloads" ratio. The question you have to ask yourself is this: Do you actually need dozens, hundreds, or thousands of people endorsing/congratulating to actually feel good about your work? If you're modding simply to get praise, then you're going to have a bad time.

I suppose you're right. I'm not looking for dozens of endorsements but I'd atleast like to break five. Its annoying when you look at other house mods that just came out and some of them hardly do anything but they have as many or more endorsements as I got.

Getting endorsements is a numbers game - the more downloads, the more endorsements - as long as the mod is actually considered useful by those downloaders - So, to get more endorsements, you need to increase your downloads. I see a lot of new modders who just don't understand how important the presentation is . I have seen "Here is my mod, download it." as the entire description - guess how many downloads that one got.

A good description with just a few good pics can do wonders for your downloads. Pay attention to the lighting in the pics and try to show what it is that makes your house unique. A pic of the outside, showing the approach, then one or more of the inside - well lighted showing some of the interior features. If it is in an out of the way location, a pic of the map will help.

As for the description, it's a house mod, so write it like a real estate advertisement. Sell them a house.

"A cozy bungalow sited in a picturesque location high in the Jerral mountains. It has all of the usual amenities, including lots of non respawning storage in a convenient layout that allows accessing all of the storage chests without running from one room to another to deposit all of your loot. There is plenty of room for companions as it has 4 bedrooms and is completely nav meshed. A workbench and forge are convenient but out of the way in the basement ..." - SELL them the house. :cool:

Basic concept for an effective mod description

1. In the first line tell WHAT it is - in this case, a house mod.

The other parts may not be in the same order

2. Tell where it is located

3. tell what makes it different from other house mods

4. list the basic amenities and features - without giving away any spoilers (assuming there are any to give away)

5. How do you acquire the house? ( the key is under the doormat, Kill the ogre who ate the previous owner to get the key etc.)

Be sure to list any DLCs, or other mods needed, known conflicts and possible future updates planned. And any special installation needed. And thank anyone who helped or was an inspiration. :thumbsup:

@bben46 thats very useful advice so thank you. If I release another mod I'll work on the presentation. I suppose in reality I'm complaining about something that can't really be fixed. As a few people have said its a number game. The ratio for endorsements to downloads in extremely low.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind that most people have moved on to other games. That being said, it's that much

More important for downloaders to encourage modders, lest they move into more popular games like skyrim. I really don't think it takes much effort to say "great mod, thanks" takes even less effort to endorse.

House mods are some of the less interested mods in the Fallout games, so its not surprising your getting so little interest. This game is no longer largely popular as it once was (not to say amazing modders are not still modding for it <3 ) so dont expect Skyrim numbers for your downloads to begin with.

Some suggestions for House mods:

Location is key.

Innovation can get you noticed.

Lore friendly is nice, but will not be as popular as fancier places.

Naked chicks will get you noticed... for some reason.

Nothing I hate more in a house mod then tons of food and free stuff, I like a house that gives me access to what my character needs bathroom, bed, kitchen, work benches. Looking at your homes I would not use them simply because I see a ton of stuff I would have to remove in Geck myself, there is so much free stuff.

Also dont mod and upload for votes or comments, its a number game and very few people "win" it. I know you want feedback and thats important but you have to understand FNV is winding down, less committed members are around to look at the mods and comment.