Unrealistic expecations on modders.

gunslinger6792

House mods are some of the less interested mods in the Fallout games, so its not surprising your getting so little interest. This game is no longer largely popular as it once was (not to say amazing modders are not still modding for it <3 ) so dont expect Skyrim numbers for your downloads to begin with.

Some suggestions for House mods:

Location is key.

Innovation can get you noticed.

Lore friendly is nice, but will not be as popular as fancier places.

Naked chicks will get you noticed... for some reason.

Nothing I hate more in a house mod then tons of food and free stuff, I like a house that gives me access to what my character needs bathroom, bed, kitchen, work benches. Looking at your homes I would not use them simply because I see a ton of stuff I would have to remove in Geck myself, there is so much free stuff.

Also dont mod and upload for votes or comments, its a number game and very few people "win" it. I know you want feedback and thats important but you have to understand FNV is winding down, less committed members are around to look at the mods and comment.

Thanks for the information I appriciate. I'd like to make clear I wasn't looking for skyrim numbers but I'd like to break 5 endorsements. I think I came off as whinny and that was uncalled for on my end. That said it hasn't become clear to me until very recently that so many people dislike having food in their homes for some reason. As for naked chicks getting me noticed I had noticed that trend but thats not going to happen with my mods. I do realize that FNV is winding down all I have to do is look at the files and unless its a weapon mod most people don't bother speaking. I guess what bothers me is I see 3 or 4 endorsements compare it to other house mods and I'd like to think its better than that. I've stopped hoping for comments and endorsments and from here on out I'll just hope somebody gets enjoyment out of it. This last mod I did though had more research put into so hopefully people may like it a bit more.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play my game on harder hard core mode, I removed about 80% of all placed food and lowered the chances of it showing up in most level lists (along with water and ammo). I found for a post apocalyptic world both FO3 and FNV had WAY to much food laying around, my first play through of both I found myself throwing away food which should never be the case I feel. I like my characters to fend for themselves hunt Gecko for meat and then cook that meat themselves, have to drink irritated water at times instead of having 100+ bottles of clean water.

Some people dont like that kind of playing, but its one of the things I enjoy the most.

Keep trying and keep working on your mods, but most of all keep learning. My first mods hardly got a glance, but all it takes is one thank you to make you feel its worth it imo.

Edited by nivea

I play my game on harder hard core mode, I removed about 80% of all placed food and lowered the chances of it showing up in most level lists (along with water and ammo). I found for a post apocalyptic world both FO3 and FNV had WAY to much food laying around, my first play through of both I found myself throwing away food which should never be the case I feel. I like my characters to fend for themselves hunt Gecko for meat and then cook that meat themselves, have to drink irritated water at times instead of having 100+ bottles of clean water.

Some people dont like that kind of playing, but its one of the things I enjoy the most.

Keep trying and keep working on your mods, but most of all keep learning. My first mods hardly got a glance, but all it takes is one thank you to make you feel its worth it imo.

You not wanting food and other supplies in a mod makes more sense now. My newest mod up is probably going to a total dud though I did learn a lot doing it so I'm proud of that. I may try to learn how to script since it seems like people these days expect auto sorting and all that jazz. If anything learning to mod even if its just houses has taught me just how much work modding is. I'm pretty embarrassed of some of the mod request I made 2 years back.

Bit off of the OP, but I try to play with that same style; a bit more hard core (not to the point of using an 'increased needs' mod, since that goes a bit over the top of what I consider enjoyable realism). I don't use fast travel, no VATS, accept bad events (companions getting killed) without re-loading, etc. If I DL a custom weapon and they don't bother adding it to a vendor list, or add some other challenge to acquiring the weapon, I'll manually place it at an appropriate vendor.

I have also found that there is far too much food and clean water around and I'm trying to play a character who uses the survival skill to make most of my food. Did you manually go into the GECK to remove most of the food/water, or is there a mod I could use to do that? I would love to do another play-through where I really need to struggle to keep my water and food levels up. It would make the survival skill A LOT more useful.

Back on topic though, I think you should really only be modding for yourself and if you think someone else will enjoy your work, go ahead and release it. People are going to complain about everything, and few people will bother to click 'endorse' or comment, but that shouldn't keep you from continuing to try and make your game more enjoyable and attempt to help others who want the same things you do. I mod lots of little crap all of the time, or make changes to existing mods to suit my play style, but haven't done anything I would consider worthy of release. If I did, then just having my stuff out there for maybe even just one person to enjoy would make it worth it to me. So you should be proud that you are skilled enough to be satisfied with the mods that you release, and know that people are likely enjoying your stuff even if they aren't vocal about it. Also, like you said, this gives you great experience with modding in general and a renewed appreciation for the work other modders do.

Edited by FishNeedles

What the OP said about Home Mods - There are a lot things done right and frankly too much done very wrong-

Right -

Ease of accessibility. (Goodsprings, Primm, and places not near a frickin' Deathclaw Nest or somethin'!)

Decent size and being able to move around the house without banging into stuff.

Navmesh

Scripted stuff that works(water purifers, trophey walls, etc)

Actually completing the mod 100%(be surprised at the number of incomplete homes)

VERY SMALL quests that help the player get into the spirit of owning or taking care of the Home.

Wrong -

The opposite of what listed in the Right list.

Can't be helped-
Homes mods that are about two years old and the authors are no longer around to add or fix things.

My biggest complaint about modding-

Mods that have four or more seperate 'fix mods'. Case in point is a Type 3 armor replacer I just saw. There almost six seperate 'fixes' to go with the main mod. When the numbers of fixes are that high, then the modder should start putting those files into the main mod instead of forcing players to download fixes as seperate files.

FishNeedles: I use a combo of Puce Mooses and XFO tweaks and then I went through myself and hand removed and change level lists of alot of items (water,food,ammo,caps), but these two should give you a good start:

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/35015

http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/37871

Graeystone: I used to have to upload my patches like that, I had a bad internet connection where I could only download and upload so many gig a month (which I had share with 3 other people) so there was no way I could upload larger files more then once. ):

Nothing I hate more in a house mod then tons of food and free stuff, I like a house that gives me access to what my character needs bathroom, bed, kitchen, work benches. Looking at your homes I would not use them simply because I see a ton of stuff I would have to remove in Geck myself, there is so much free stuff.

I agree with this and it's put me off many player home mods to the point I just use The Sink in Big Mountain. That has everything I need.

And I agree with your post on hardcore playing. PN's rebalance module isn't enough and I find myself making changes with my own patch, some similar to JE Sawyer's but MUCH harsher. I have to worry about the ease of getting crippled and I have to really worry when it's one of my arms now. With these changes, I'm not getting totally bogged down with food either (though I could do with lowering the spawn rate some more).

I can't release my patch but I have no intention of distributing it anyway, especially out of respect for the authors. It depends on a lot of masters and even changes many things (though the master files themselves aren't edited) which the authors have already put some hard work into.

I agree with this and it's put me off many player home mods to the point I just use The Sink in Big Mountain. That has everything I need.

And I agree with your post on hardcore playing. PN's rebalance module isn't enough and I find myself making changes with my own patch, some similar to JE Sawyer's but MUCH harsher. I have to worry about the ease of getting crippled and I have to really worry when it's one of my arms now. With these changes, I'm not getting totally bogged down with food either (though I could do with lowering the spawn rate some more).

I can't release my patch but I have no intention of distributing it anyway, especially out of respect for the authors. It depends on a lot of masters and even changes many things (though the master files themselves aren't edited) which the authors have already put some hard work into.

I really had no idea that at least some people don't want food and such because they play hardcore. Part of the problem I've had is people who view the mod or download and say nothing. I have no way of knowing if I'm doing something wrong. I think I may start a poll in mod talk just to see how many people play in hardcore mode.

edit: I should add that for one of my house mods I did make a lower loot version. Hardly any food or water pretty much all supplies striped from the place. Hardly anyone downloaded it. That could've been because of a failure to properly inform people on my end or people just didn't want it.

Edited by gunslinger6792

For me, it's less of a hardcore thing. With default spawns, you can make up to 30 to 80 of various meals. Food is definitely in abundance regardless of difficulty level. I really just want less of it.

I can see where you're coming from on suggestions and feedback. Unfortunately, people just forget. Such are people and such am I. I'd be open to trying your player home if it's still up somewhere.

For me, it's less of a hardcore thing. With default spawns, you can make up to 30 to 80 of various meals. Food is definitely in abundance regardless of difficulty level. I really just want less of it.

I can see where you're coming from on suggestions and feedback. Unfortunately, people just forget. Such are people and such am I. I'd be open to trying your player home if it's still up somewhere.

All of them are still up just check my profile and you'll see them :)