FNIS

Nyeslaanesh

is fnis still necessary for xpm skeleton? or has nemesis completely replaced it?

I don't use Nemesis, but afaik it works for most common SFW animations but needs augmenting with FNIS for certain other optional animations. Nor do I know how to install them side by side, although I think there are instructions here and at LL in various support threads which you'll have to track down if interested. (widenet search on "fnis nemesis skyrim special edition" or similar)

I know that nemesis works with xpm32 out of the box, now. Just gotta run it. It also works with flowergirls. Apparently there's more prep-work needed for sexymoves. I haven't tried osex and whatnot just yet. Other than that, nemesis seems to work with just about everything as anjen has stated. I do suggest downloading 'no fnis' as it provides you an empty fnis plugin that gets rid of the missing masters notification. Although it seems like a proper installation of nemesis removes the necessity for that. In most cases, any issues you may have with nemesis seem to be fixed with a clean reinstall.