Best Practices/Tips in Mod-Making?

nothing more to really add other than what's been stated ... except:

who fixes the bugs, well this is a modding community, so you do w/ the help of the community. i wouldn't bother the author, as usually this is a standard of large over-hauls, consider them beta ... either wait for enough people to get pissed or be pro-active. to end this subject, many of the most popular mods are over-hauls and every foreseen flaw cannot be seen, especially with other mod conflicts. it's my opinion that Maskar has set a standard of in-game as opposed to concrete changes ... yet, even with that goal, obse sometimes isn't enough and pre-game/pre-load ... etc, must be used. unfortunately, changes made in the CS via an esp/esm will be embedded in the save game and potentially corrupt the save. this occurs mostly w/ uninstall of a mod, but can occur without. i've always found it good practice to read the mods posts prior to install ... i suppose consider everything a beta release prior to intsall.

hacking a MMO server. i assume we're talking about online gaming. the easiest method i can think of is a first acquiring the opponents ip address, follow that up w/ secondary WAN DDOS attacks. there is no way around it, randomly changing ips is my guess the best solution, yet once reacquired, rinse and repeat. many isps as of to date don't allot for isp changing, therefore a vpn is necessary. using a private proxy isn't going to be sufficient enough, but may help.

i'm skimming and commenting ... so not a full answer to the questionaire:

"Q2: Avoid using sripts that constantly run in the background. For example and a long as possible favour a lot of object scripts using tokens instead of a quest script using variables."

with existing mods or mods i've created, the normalcy of most mods is to be run quest mode. fquestdelaytime determines the freq that such mods should be run. i usually gauge the fquestdelaytime dynamically. set fquestdelaytime to (fquestdelaytime/(getfps/(100/actual fps)), using 50 hz/cycles per second. as the fps increases (ie. 0.01/(100/100) = 0.01 or 0.01/(100/50) = 0.005). if every mod did this, it would utilize the best fps possible. i honestly like opening the CS and searching the fquestdelaytime and altering it to a dynamic solution.

alternatively, some things just shouldn't be running at all. this is already addressed w/ menumode and gamemode. however, it should also be addresses for: if player.isincombat (i'm just guessing at the syntax) set fquestdelaytime to 1, 5, 10 ... i guess, the author's discretion.