⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Vortex mode of deployment

Kiki981
Go to solution Solved by AugustaCalidia,

some questions;

1. can you tell us where you have set your mod staging folder to be in vortex please?

2. if you have a device with a single, very small hard disk, why are you downloading and installing mods? or any program at all, for that matter?

you can buy external storage very cheaply these days. a simple pen drive could give you extra storage for your downloads (note not mods - actual download files - archives that contain the mod files) for literally pennies, or you could upload them to a cloud service for free and save yourself disk space that way.

Ok.

1.) Mod staging folder is in my case in appdata/roaming/vortex/skyrimse/mods. The same as I posted before. Becouse I left this setting as it was at installation.

2.) Well my disk has 256GB (quite small SSD). And I never save mods on my disk (like manually save them, but always choose on Nexus to download them with Vortex - not manually). Manually I save mods only if it is demanded by mod. I have also a pen drive with 64GB of memory (I know it's not a lot, but in case).

Guest deleted34304850

ok - some clarification.

You say this;

And I never save mods on my disk (like manually save them, but always choose on Nexus to download them with Vortex - not manually).

here you mean the download archives that contain the mod files rather than the mods themselves.

As has been posted above in at least two replies - you have been advised to either move these archives from your hdd to an external drive of some sort, or, once the mods have been installed in your game and are found to be working, delete the mod ARCHIVES, which will free up space.

Also documented above, this advice comes with a caveat - if you need to reinstall the mods, you will have to redownload the mod archive from nexusmods as you deleted the mod archive.

I have also a pen drive with 64GB of memory (I know it's not a lot, but in case).

pen drives do not contain memory - they contain disk storage. small but necessary correction.

i have to ask - are you reading any of the replies that people have provided, because all of this has been discussed and pointed out to you.

in conclusion

1.there are no duplicate files on your system. this is a complete fallacy you're clinging to for some reason that makes no sense to me

2. you are free to delete your mod ARCHIVES to free up disk space.

3. you need to get a larger disk size. 256GB is okay for your OS but for anything else it's next to useless.

what kind of system are you playing on? is it a laptop of some description, or a chrome book? its been quite a while since a larger system, desktop or gaming system came with just a 256gb hdd.

Edited by 1ae0bfb8

ok - some clarification.

You say this;

And I never save mods on my disk (like manually save them, but always choose on Nexus to download them with Vortex - not manually).

here you mean the download archives that contain the mod files rather than the mods themselves.

As has been posted above in at least two replies - you have been advised to either move these archives from your hdd to an external drive of some sort, or, once the mods have been installed in your game and are found to be working, delete the mod ARCHIVES, which will free up space.

Also documented above, this advice comes with a caveat - if you need to reinstall the mods, you will have to redownload the mod archive from nexusmods as you deleted the mod archive.

I have also a pen drive with 64GB of memory (I know it's not a lot, but in case).

pen drives do not contain memory - they contain disk storage. small but necessary correction.

i have to ask - are you reading any of the replies that people have provided, because all of this has been discussed and pointed out to you.

in conclusion

1.there are no duplicate files on your system. this is a complete fallacy you're clinging to for some reason that makes no sense to me

2. you are free to delete your mod ARCHIVES to free up disk space.

3. you need to get a larger disk size. 256GB is okay for your OS but for anything else it's next to useless.

what kind of system are you playing on? is it a laptop of some description, or a chrome book? its been quite a while since a larger system, desktop or gaming system came with just a 256gb hdd.

Don't get me wrong. read all posts, but you have to understand that english is not my primary language and there are some things that I don't understand. I'm trying to do my best.

And to answer you, I'm playing on laptop and on Windows 10. As I read in one of posts, this files (mods) that are stored on appdata folder, don't need to be (installed) there, and I can move them on external HDD. Of course, than I have to change settings in Vortex itself. If I understand correctly.

But, If I move them lets say to my pen drive and have it connected every time I play Skyrim, do I need to reinstall mods then, if I move appdata mods? Or can I just move them, change path in Vortex and that's it? In the other hand, I have decided, that I will install less mods that I usualy did (mostly textures) and some heavier mods like Bruma, that I will save some space.

Guest deleted34304850

i think you're still getting mixed up.

mod archives are folders that contain the files for your mods. you can delete/move these.

mods are used by your game - you should NOT move these or you will break your game.

mod archives contain mod files.

once you have installed a mod you can remove the mod archive.

i think you're still getting mixed up.

mod archives are folders that contain the files for your mods. you can delete/move these.

mods are used by your game - you should NOT move these or you will break your game.

mod archives contain mod files.

once you have installed a mod you can remove the mod archive.

Yes, I understand, that you are telling me, taht I must not delete appdata mods folder. After reading few other posts on same thing, I have discovered, that I have one other folder under appdata. One is previous posted folder. But other is (as in Vortex settings) appdata/roaming/Vortex/downloads/skyrimse. Than I can delete this files? Becouse in previous mentioned folder are actually installed mods. But in this now mentioned folder are mods themselves (zipped). To better understand, can I delete files that are under vortex settings on picture? https://i.imgur.com/QSYKZVR.jpg