Having made a couple of reasonably well-received NPC followers, we would like to try building a player home/palace, and have found a good (virtual) spot of terrain in Tamriel.

++

1. Should we practice by duplicating an existing object-structure and placing it "on" the site of our choosing? Maybe that's not feasible?

2. For the in-game spot we like, we see the ground isn't flat, and we notice some prominent objects, a few unused monoliths, not in use for any other purpose than graphics appeal, exist there.

How might we best manage these?

3. And we are concerned about altering existing objects there in order to place our intended structures--what happens if we accidentally delete a monolith, will we break the game?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  1. it's the easy way, otherwise, you just explore the Static object collection in the CK, mainly the sub category "Architecture"
  2. I would advise to not touch the ground. You can make a platform using dungeon exterior pieces and assembling them to have something like a foundation.
  3. Deleting object break the game if they are quest related or referenced. Press the "M" key to see/hide the markers. Double click on the object to see the linked tab. Don't forget, each time you "alter" an object, it's considered edited and it generate so called "dirty edit" to clean later. Just moving the object that annoy you is a good way to avoid trouble: move them under your house or use them away as decoration.

Cheers

I would recommend against "Copying" an existing structure. I've tried it several times and every time the mod broke for no reason at all. Random CTD's in a completely different part of Skyrim I never touched.

You can use vanilla structures pre-designed in the CK, but don't copy an existing structure already placed somewhere. It's never worked for me.

The first time I took the time to build it myself, it's worked flawlessly. It takes longer but much less prone to errors.

1. Should we practice by duplicating an existing object-structure and placing it "on" the site of our choosing? Maybe that's not feasible?

You can pull structures from the Object Window in to the cell you are working with. You may want to rename the item(s) you use. If you see a piece that you like in a vanilla cell, just click it to retrieve the name, then you can find it in the Object Window.

2. For the in-game spot we like, we see the ground isn't flat, and we notice some prominent objects, a few unused monoliths, not in use for any other purpose than graphics appeal, exist there.

How might we best manage these?

You can drag static objects below the terrain. If it is linked, then best to disable the item by clicking it then ticking off "initially disabled".

3. And we are concerned about altering existing objects there in order to place our intended structures--what happens if we accidentally delete a monolith, will we break the game?

All too easy a problem to encounter. Most modders will use XEDIT to undo such mistakes and overall review their mod for errors.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/164

NOTE: Modifying the exterior can be done including changing the terrain, but there is a process to it. When you modify an exterior cell, you also will need to address navmesh. If you have extensive exterior edits, such as adding a house, best to drag the navmesh of the cell below the terrain and recreate your own navmesh. Vanilla navmesh should not be deleted, and it can't be disabled.

• 3 weeks later...