Making a COOP mod for new vegas

JamesTwt

EDIT: i just found out theres already a mp project that has been revived ((NVMP-X) ffs aha

Hi i recently wanted to see if it was possible to play this game coop with a friend via a mod of course but to my research i did not find a actual working public coop mod for this game because of this i started thinking if it was possible for me this make this happen not only for mine and my friend's statisfaction and also for the community as i absolutely love this game and the opportunity to be able to share to this experience together with atleast one other player would be amazing especially with the randomizer mod aha (funnest mod ive ever seen for a game).

Now my initial thought is to first of all make it only 2 player coop with P2P (client to client) 1. because im lazy and i dont want to have to setup and pay for a server just yet but also 2. i believe this would be the easiest to make first then after once i have made it i can work on multiplayer which will probably have to utilize a server, i could be wrong here tho.

I am fiarly advanced with modding (almost 10 years) and programming with mostly C and C++ and reverse engineering as i have been making mod menus for some of the classic xbox 360 games such as gta iv and rdr1 and i love it but it would be awesome to put skills to better use that can really help make this game enjoyable for others and to really sink my teeth into a project worth while. Now im not an expert in programming or reverse engineering so any help i can get on this project would be greatly appreciated and make this project's development process and alot quicker so it can be a reality for public quicker, i may have a friend or two who is also familiar with programming especially in C++ who may want to work with me on this project but they are not as much die hard fans of this game as i am so are not the most fond of this idea but i will try to get them on board and show them i mean business. Although I know im probably a bit late (2022 aha) to start making this project but i know there are still alot of die hard fans for this game who would really appreciate this so.

I need advice on how to tackle this project scripting wise my intial response was to try and make a DLL i think, in C++ and attach it to the process and maybe make a mini trainer to begin with like getting a few core functions such as spawning entities (npc), getting position, health, model, customizable accessories, current animation etc. If there arent any functions or not possible to retrieve values for variables such as the position and health then i will have to get them by using pointers and reverse engineering however i would like to advoid this as best as possible. I may even try to find the function table and make a function caller so i can call every function in the game easily by most likely their hash however this is where my experience is lacking so may have to be a later job and in the mean time just call functions via their addresses. Or my other idea was to make it with the games scripting langauge with G.E.C.K i think, however i do not know much about it and looks too basic to support more technical operations such as networking which it may or may not be possible because ive been told with other games such as gta iv and rdr1 that is not possible for networking with the game's simple scripting language, please do correct me if im wrong this is the most crucial part i want feedback on as if it is possible it would be a hell of a lot easier to make it with fallouts own scripting language and will probably have more functionality to play with.

^^ i really recommend watching this video if u are interested as this video gives a good insight to what i already thought would be the process e.i. creating an npc with the players model and accessories to act as the player and then continously communicating the player's position, rotation, animation, possibly health etc. But if this is not the best way of achieving this please do let me know.

Also if i am successful with this project then i will try making it across different platform such as xbox 360 maybe ps3 but would have to require iso mods atleast for xbox 360 or an modded xbox (rgh or jtag) to be able to use the xex plugin.

Thank you for your time reading this, and again any advise, feedback or particiants would be greatly appreciated. I do help this project will be possible and released soon :smile:

Edited by JamesTwt

• 1 month later...

What about a coop , same engine but change the game ?

In theory ... a loose analogy using the assets to re-imagine the StarCraft story & game play.

Would be nice to have more than 2 ... but probably couldn't handle it ... and pre-scripted AI ally/opponent on a limited basis hopefully :turned:

• 1 month later...

Ok, this is a big deal, I've been searching for a good fonv multiplayer mod for so long lol, you're materialising my desires:
Me and my friend would really like to play a coop in fnv, so I was scrolling through some mp mods on the internet again and stumbled upon vaultmp.I later found that vaultmp was offline since 2013 (rip) so now i'm here watching forums that contain the word nvmp ( it's a fonv multiplayer mod that me and my friend tried but that he couldn't get to work, so I was just searching fixes), then i found your topic/forum.

I really like the initiative you've had, I really appreciate this, and it would be really good if you managed to make a functional fonv online mod (even though nvmp exists but if you created a fonv mod multiplayer that simply worked would be already good enough for a start), actually i know a bit of c++ but only basic stuff, don't know if I could help but I could get my hands upon somebody who could help you a bit.

PS: If you wanted to really make a fonv mp mod on PS3, you need to know that only half the ram is used because of a bug in the game that the devs couldn't fix (the bug exists also on pc but there is a mod) but on the x360 it would be fine.

Pls reply to me, I want to know every detail on the development.

Good riddance.