Error: Failed to Initialize Renderer

HaseoSkeith1701

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I try to run this game I always get this error message: Failed to Initialize Renderer. Which isn't very helpful since it doesn't actually say whats wrong. All my searches seem to indicate that it might be a video card conflict but I have yet to find a workable fix. I've tried finding updates for my drivers but I keep running into to sites that want me to install their programs. Which leaves me concerned about getting infected with malware and viruses.

Anyways I'm using a Radeon HD 6450 Graphics card on a Windows XP Pro system.

TO ALL THAT HAVE THIS PROBLEM I HAVE FOUND THAT YOU UNINSTALL ALL MODS BUT DO NOT DELETE THEM JUST UNINSTALL REINSTALL AND START THE SKSE THROUGH NEXUS MOD MANAGER (press the triangular butten next to the launcher and chose SKSE and start it through this way, if the option is not show it is probably becasue you are not subscribed on the steam workshop and have it downloaded into your library) do this and you will be able to re start this was my soulition after i updated my Nvidia Graphics card do not quote me if this dose not work this was my fix and hopefully yours too

Edited by soulblade244

• 2 weeks later...

Man, I'm getting the same thing, my skyrim is crashing on startup. I think it may be a load order thing. Damnit, I use BOSS to sort, I wish it worked half the time.

BOSS? There's your problem. BOSS was superceded by LOOT a looooooong time ago. Try LOOT. It's great. Plus, it knows about mods that came out in the past nnn months since LOOT replaced it.

GOT IT!!! I removed every single skyrim file i have: folder in the steam, mod organizer files and my games folder in documents. Then i reinstalled skyrim from steam and turned it on and now it works but i need now to try if it works with mods and so on. I have Legendary Edition so i have DLCs :P

Hope this help you now i'll try mod organizer!!! :D :D :D :D :D

• 2 months later...

Your .ini settings are set to read only, go to your My documents folder, in that folder look for My Games, in that folder look for Skyrim. In that folder you'll see two files, one is called Skyrim.ini and the other is called Skyrimprefs.ini. Right click on either one, click on Properties and uncheck the attributes option to set the file as Read Only and click Apply and then OK. Do the exact same thing for the other ini file and you should be good to go.

It's been mentioned above I think; but what fixed it for me was going through Skyrim Launcher, selecting options, and changing resolution from letterbox mode to my actual monitor. If you have no options in the resolution tab, change the aspect. Mine had set itself to standard, and by changing it to a widescreen setting it allowed me to access the resolution options.