Almost *all* performance-related problems in TES:IV can be resolved with one incredibly simple trick.....

Guest deleted2027229

Guest deleted2027229

It's simple.... you disable distant land.

Not only will you see a massive reduction in CTD, but also framerate stutters, graphical hiccups and every other graphical annoyance common in TES.

But I hear you ask, why disable distant land? Won't that ruin MuH ImMurShUn?

No, it will not ruin your immersion, it will improve it. Disabling distant view adds a lot to atmosphere and makes the world feel much less confined. Hilltop forts feel like the remote places they are meant to, rather than a few minutes walk from a town. The woods look more mysterious and ominious when you can't see the Elsweyr border just a short walk away. You can easily get lost, as you did in Morrowind, with distant view disabled.

I've been playing with distant land disabled for years now, despite my rig being more than capable of handling more. It was mainly for atmosphere I first tried this, but it's only after extended time playing this way that I see the positive effect it has on game stability.

So try a no distant land run, it will take a short time to get used to, but you might learn to love it as i have.

Edited by WanderRA

It is a very nice tip. But I feel it is like removing the top of my hammer, trying to hit nails with the bare shaft.

I did the oposite in Morrowind. First I could not figure out what felt wrong, not until I comared Morroblivion with Morrowind... In Morroblivion, I could see the whole city of Vivec but not in Oblivion and I wanted 2 screenshots to be able to comapre them at the sametime. I took a wild guess, googled LOD Morrowind and I did get these screenshot after I was done.

Let me also add that it is a good idea to turn down lod if it causes problems but big textures is really a bigger problem I guess and fear. I exchanged big textures on tiny objects to tiny textures, and I went from 8 FPS to 30 FPS and the crashes in that room stopped. Before I did find those textures, I thought it was all scripts in that room, so I rewrote them all, into a single quest script but I did hit 2 flies in one single smash anyway... :wink: Textures first, install lower, if that does not helt, well remove the LOD. Try both in any case... :D

Vivec? What did happen in Vivec that day? I took my 2 screenshots... With LOD activated n both games, did not crash... :wink: Crashing is so individual as well... If my game crash and yours, is a minimal chance they crashed for the exact same reason. SO much is broken in Oblivion, we must use all available bugfixes, and they cannot cover all available problems. It is impossible.

I see closing LOD as the last thing I would test if I have not tried other options first, but thats me. :smile: All bugfixes must be installed, no matter what.

Morroblivion:

51153187864_a30d09df1e_k.jpg

Morrowind

51152394721_5422dfc6a2_k.jpg

I dropped my jaw to the ground when I saw more than one building in Vivec, in Morrowind. Fog of War usually start at that first closest building, covering half of it and beyond. I love colors and stuff... :wink: Before fighting. Immersion first, game performance second. Well I have both, this is not a problem for me really... :wink:

In Morrowind, the water is moving at the base of the buildings and the only way I can SAY that it is a LOD in the background is that the waterfall is frozen solid, The water is not moving.

Edited by Pellape

So I recall more stuff now after you brought this up and it is grass.

Is grass really needed? Well it do look good. I used it a very long until I gave it up. When I did compare my 2 screenshots above I started to think... Both looks good. What is the backside with grass then?

First what can we do to make grass faster, getting more FPS and that is to make the area smaller, decrease the number of polygons and there is low poly grass to DL... But...

What is the real backside with grass... Visibility... We cannot see the stuff we kill and we cannot find the bodies we want to loot. So after the fights I turned off the grass, with TG in the console, looted the bodies and used TG again to see the lovely grass. Well one day I was fed up and stopped to use it as it was so damn pointless to have it. In and out from console, killed immersion.

Skyrim and grass? I love to sneak, and I will never forget how impossible it is to sneak in vanilla Skyrim in that high grass at the south east side of the map, where the forest is a bit more dense. I had to read loads about grass, until I managed to make it so low and less dense, that I could see anything at all. :D i did never turn it off completely. I do have it install, so if I ever want to try it, I will. I do not have a single reason to play Skyrim though as Oblivion is much funnier, faster, easier to mod. I do not recall that Skyrim crashes that often either, as I would as it takes so long time to start up at my comp, with my big textures and ... I use to much textures. It do not crash, but the performance is catastrophic anyway, not playable... It is a boring game and I do not plan to fix it... :wink: We use Oblivion after all. The rest is only references.

Edited by Pellape