New World Space Advice?

If you're doing a large worldspace I would honestly suggest to use the heightmap import function of the CK if you're not doing it already, because doing large worldspaces by hand is a chore and it makes it way harder to actually get certain things right in terms of size if they're far away. So what I would do if I was you is:

1. Imagine the playable area of your worldspace and its shape/size and draw it. Now add like ~80% space around it that the player won't be able to enter. This space is there to give the illusion of size. Fallout 4 did the same with the playable area being only like ~15-20% of the worldspace and the rest being mountains, woods or ocean around Boston so that the player has something to look at if he reaches the worldspace borders.

2. Watch this beautiful video by Neeher on how to import a heightmap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EzA0KVt6wc

3. After you know how to import a heightmap do your own one/download one somewhere and create your worldspace.

4. Generate LOD for the worldspace to see if you like it ingame. Zorkaz has some really good tutorials on this which can also help with some questions you may have regarding worldspaces:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/47183

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/47316

5. If you don't like your worldspace, repeat step 1 to 4.

6. Now you can start to plan the layout of your worldspace by putting in place holders for buildings, towns and roads. The landscaping tool is able to draw colors, which you can do by being in the default landscape texturing mode and then ticking "edit color" at the bottom of the window. Now just draw the left color with left click and erase it by using right click with the right color being white. That way you can choose a color for your roads and just paint them onto the terrain so that you can quickly lay out the road network. If you like what you see, you can now build your roads ontop of the color and erase it afterwards.

7. Once the overall layout phase is done, you can start polishing the landscape(it's usually quite rough after the heightmap import so you probably need to polish it up by hand) and start adding trees and your objects etc.

8. Don't forget to regenerate LOD every now and then to see how your newly added objects and changes look like from afar.

Edited by 84Cronos

If you're doing a large worldspace I would honestly suggest to use the heightmap import function of the CK if you're not doing it already, because doing large worldspaces by hand is a chore and it makes it way harder to actually get certain things right in terms of size if they're far away. So what I would do if I was you is:

1. Imagine the playable area of your worldspace and its shape/size and draw it. Now add like ~80% space around it that the player won't be able to enter. This space is there to give the illusion of size. Fallout 4 did the same with the playable area being only like ~15-20% of the worldspace and the rest being mountains, woods or ocean around Boston so that the player has something to look at if he reaches the worldspace borders.

2. Watch this beautiful video by Neeher on how to import a heightmap:

3. After you know how to import a heightmap do your own one/download one somewhere and create your worldspace.

4. Generate LOD for the worldspace to see if you like it ingame. Zorkaz has some really good tutorials on this which can also help with some questions you may have regarding worldspaces:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/47183

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/47316

5. If you don't like your worldspace, repeat step 1 to 4.

6. Now you can start to plan the layout of your worldspace by putting in place holders for buildings, towns and roads. The landscaping tool is able to draw colors, which you can do by being in the default landscape texturing mode and then ticking "edit color" at the bottom of the window. Now just draw the left color with left click and erase it by using right click with the right color being white. That way you can choose a color for your roads and just paint them onto the terrain so that you can quickly lay out the road network. If you like what you see, you can now build your roads ontop of the color and erase it afterwards.

7. Once the overall layout phase is done, you can start polishing the landscape(it's usually quite rough after the heightmap import so you probably need to polish it up by hand) and start adding trees and your objects etc.

8. Don't forget to regenerate LOD every now and then to see how your newly added objects and changes look like from afar.

Oh! That is a lot of information I was not familiar with, thank you for the large informative response! I will take notes from this.

No problem. I would highly recommend that you do the whole process and see what you can learn from it and how you can incorporate certain sections into your own workflow. There is much more to learn, but the points I gave you are a solid, although quick, summary on how to get things started in an easy and efficient way.

Not that i have anything useful to add, but for some practice and training could, hm, advise to navmesh everything what Bethesda considered pointless illusion, that exact huge player-only walkable area outside of borders in vanilla map, well, just for, hm, possibly useful world-managing practice, well, and preferably drop this rough experiment as a public mod. Sort of pointless comment, sorry, but what if, eh? There's enthusiasm seen anyway. Such mod doesn't exist as i know. From my knowledge of this part of CK it can be nearly fully automated process, but any largely scaled world edits are not possible for my pc, though of course may be wrong about its simplicity, nevermind then if so.

Edited by hereami