Night Mother

Katarsi

I would like to suggest an immersive, lore-friendly and decent overhaul of Night Mother's body.

I am not taking into account mods that feature overly sexualized models, which are very disturbing tbh. To each their own, I suppose, but I'm trying to invoke a more reasonable alternative. She's not a friggin brothel showpiece.

Night Mother is a revered figure in the Dark Brotherhood, honored bride of the Daedric Prince who is feared even by his own peers, as well as his medium.

That's why I can't understand the poor state this body is in. She's covered in filthy rags and desiccated to the point she looks far worse than the draugr - who actually don't have anyone to diligently care for their bodies over the centuries. It makes all the preservation effort of Cicero and all before him utterly pointless, as if the Keeper is there only for posterity.

As I see it, the Night Mother should be representative of her status. Her garments should be tasteful and clean, a robe that supports the Dark Brotherhood style, and actually covers her properly. I imagine dressing her in a rotted potato sack - or worse, putting her on display totally naked - is rather disrespectful.

Her body should definitely look dead, but at least in a better state than that of the draugr - and far better state than the rotted, shriveled plum that she is in the vanilla game.

Her pose shouldn't insinuate cowering and clutching at her sides, but rather be more regal, with her head straight and leaned back and her hands resting on her abdomen. She kinda is a Queen of the Void, after all, and it should show. And she definitely shouldn't be tied up by some filthy rope for support, as she is in vanilla. There should be strategically placed belts that keep her upright and balanced.

I mean, I'm trying to picture a well-preserved corpse that is practically being worshipped, and this is how I see it.

According to some accounts, the Night Mother died in an arson, when her house was set on fire, so apparently her vanilla appearance is the follow-up on that. However, she's sort of a big deal so I can't imagine her body would be utterly unprotected and ruined to an extent that it's almost falling apart. Heck, she could have died from suffocation in smoke, while her body was shielded from flames by Sithis so it could serve its purpose later on (twisted Daedra logic, it's not unheard of).

I hope someone skilled will consider my suggestion for (proper) Night Mother overhaul. Thank you for your attention.

Don't look at me. I took her outside and had a bonfire, just as soon as I was finished clearing out the sanctuary.

No cookies from the Void for you :dry: :wink:

That's a Amazing idea OP! Though, l have to add: In Oblivion, we visit the Night Mother's Tomb, and she's a Skeleton, not a Mummy. So l think the more Lore Friendly option would have her be a Skeleton Glued to the coffin, or a skeleton kept in place by a layer of cotton or shelves or something.

I suppose that could work too.

However - again - what's the point of the Keeper's care then? "Oiling and preserving" a skeleton? Bones don't need that - save for keeping them nailed in place, I suppose.

I know that Bethesda likes to mess up stuff between games, and instead of calling it what it is - an oversight - they provide conflicting lore which is allegedly a product of biased interpretation of historians.

The fact is that the Night Mother's representation in Elder Scrolls V was obviously meant to have some flesh on. I'm just following up on that. Seeing her as a skeleton would be less baffling than the lowkey necrophilia model, but it's also an extreme - in reverse direction.

So I'm still sticking to my suggestion.

RP it as though she was just ashes, but with every soul sent to Sithis, she regains a small amount of vitality. One day, she will again be whole, and will unite the sanctuaries to rule Nirn from the shadows, in Sithis' name.

That is actually an awesome addition that can be implemented in one of related books (alongside the visual overhaul), e.g. The Night Mother's Truth. :thumbsup: