OBSE isn't working with steam

1) Close Steam

2) Install OBSE 21

3) Install the obse_loader.exe from that file

4) Run Steam.exe as an administrator and run Oblivion through Steam

Confirming for any new googlers' that this method works. I already had Steam set to run as admin, so I ended up just having to restart Steam after installing OBSE per bevilex instructions and it worked.

• 1 year later...

1) Close Steam

2) Install OBSE 21

3) Install the obse_loader.exe from that file

4) Run Steam.exe as an administrator and run Oblivion through Steam

Confirming for any new googlers' that this method works. I already had Steam set to run as admin, so I ended up just having to restart Steam after installing OBSE per bevilex instructions and it worked.

I attempted this, however ran into another problem.

Whenever steam.exe is set to run as an administrator, and oblivion is launched through steam, it will instead immediately crash after clicking "play" on the oblivion launcher window that pops up.

if steam isn't in admin mode, it will work fine.

I thought to myself that maybe this was actually working, and that because OBSE was finally running, my OBSE mods were finally loading, and one of THOSE might have been causing the crash, however it still kept happening after I disabled every last one of my mods

So i'm at a loss here. I've reinstalled OBSE countless times, tried many restarts of steam, and still nothing :/

I saw your post here last night and this morning saw the one in the OBSE mod comments and wanted to let you know that I wish I had some advice to offer that I felt had some merit ... but I don't. I'm not a Steam user myself (disk guy) so I can't give anything resembling first hand advice.

The problem I have with administering second hand advice for the Steam version of the game is what you are already at least somewhat aware of ... you can find claims on how just about every possible combination of "Run As" is what worked for that particular person, to the extent that the claims directly contradict one another and both couldn't possibly have worked. I wish I could explain that.

The Bevilex' modlist for Oblivion - Graphics mod comments is a great resource of advice. If you click on the mod's Posts tab you'll see a button that will load the Nexus Forum version of those same mod comments near the top of the comments page. The advantage of using the Nexus Forum interface is that it has a useful search function that will allow you to search just that Bevilex mod comments topic. For example I just searched using the forum page using steam + obse and got 14 pages of results returned (which is better than 9227 posts on 480 pages using the mod page plus your "mark 1 eyeballs" for the job).

Wish I could be of more help ... good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought to myself that maybe this was actually working, and that because OBSE was finally running, my OBSE mods were finally loading, and one of THOSE might have been causing the crash, however it still kept happening after I disabled every last one of my mods

So i'm at a loss here. I've reinstalled OBSE countless times, tried many restarts of steam, and still nothing :/

Go here and look for OBSE for Steam.

• 2 months later...

So this is kind of a long post, but seeing as the most recent addition wasn't long ago, I'll go ahead and ask. I myself have run into a problem. I have done everything that is recommended here as well on other sites, but I can't seem to get OBSE to work. Every time I open oblivion it gives me a pop up saying, "Warning: Oblivion Script Extender is not detected" and I can't for the life of me figure out why. The game runs fine otherwise. OBSE is installed correctly and the steam overlay is active. I've downloaded different things in place of other OBSE things. I've run steam as an administrator as well. It doesn't solve anything

So this is kind of a long post, but seeing as the most recent addition wasn't long ago, I'll go ahead and ask. I myself have run into a problem. I have done everything that is recommended here as well on other sites, but I can't seem to get OBSE to work. Every time I open oblivion it gives me a pop up saying, "Warning: Oblivion Script Extender is not detected" and I can't for the life of me figure out why. The game runs fine otherwise. OBSE is installed correctly and the steam overlay is active. I've downloaded different things in place of other OBSE things. I've run steam as an administrator as well. It doesn't solve anything

It's a very slim chance, but this warning pop up doesn't come from the game, so it's likely coming from a mod you have. Then there's also the possibility said mod's detection method is... old and that's why you get the warning, and possibly OBSE itself is working fine all the time.

Do you have other means to check if OBSE was running? A mod that needs it and the features of which wouldn't work without it but do? What does the ingame console say when you enter "GetOBSEVersion" or similar OBSE script commands? Is there an "obse.log" or "obse_loader.log" in your game folder perhaps? These kinda things. Just to rule out you're not searching at the wrong place.

• 6 months later...

Did some more checking on Steam, and found a solution. Short story is that the Steam.exe, itself, needs to be set to 'Run as Admin' to get the steam overlay working and then obse shows up and then all the plugins see it and start automagically working.

I'd post the steam link, but the forum rules seemed to discourage such stuff. Just google it in the Steam Community discussions.

And, FastExit2 seems to be working as well, though OB is still crashing on exit, I'm not being forced to the task manager all the time. W8.1 UAC is a PITA and different than W8's as well.

GravityWave thank youuuuuuu!!! Your solution worked for me and I almost gave up. Bless you dude.