An open challenge to solve the stutter

oliver.kelly11@gmail.com

Hi, so for weeks/months, I have been hating my Skyrim sessions because I have this unexplained stutter when travellin, and everything more than approx 100m away "pops in" so to say, which I used to rarely if ever notice. So I get a stutter basically any time this popping in new terrain has to be loaded. Using a framerate counter show my frames seem pretty consistent yet I still see this stutter. When I startup Skyrim and default my video settings, They default to ULTRA- 8 AA samples, 16 AF Samples, longest draw distances etc etc, yet I run the game with 4 samples AA and no AF. My computer is no monster, but it's more than capable of running the game on ultra. I do use mods, but not many, and not many of them are graphical mods. Now, I would say I have tried almost EVERYTHING I can find on the web to solve it. I'll list my specs and All the different things I've tried below. Please feel free to ask any other questions + or suggest any fixes.

PC Specs:

AMD FX-8350 8 core @ 4GHz

Nvidia GTX 760 Twin Frozr @ 4GB

8192MB of Corsair Ram

Skyrim and Steam are running off my 120GB SSD

Attempted fixes:

1.Obviously, Lower my settings. I played the game on the rock bottom lowest graphics, and stutter still occurs, of course my framerate remains incredibly stable because there's very little strain on my card.

2. Upgraded my GPU. I used to run the game (still on Ultra) with a GTX 660. Got the 760 for the additional VRAM, no difference.

3. ENBoost. It's helpful for overall performance, but still no stutter fix.

4. Simple Borderless window, and the borderless feature that's part of ENBoost.

5. Several Performance enhancing mods.

6. Tons and tons of Ini tweaks, after most of them making little to know effect I just went back to my more or less stock .ini

7. Running the game off an SSD. I was sure this would be the solution, since my issue was with things loading in I thought the speed of the SSD would fix this. Nope.

8. Frame limiters. 30, 45, 58, 60, None of these made any real difference.

9. TURNING OFF VSYNC- this seemed to help actually, however, Skyrim's not really playable with vSync off because of all the physics issues, running the game at 100+ fps cause mammoths to float around, and my character to swim on dry land, carriages flew everywhere etc

10. Raising my uGrids. Never again.

11. Disable Windows Aero theme

12. Running Steam Offline

There's probably some other things that escape me at the moment, but yeah, I've tried a fair few things. My temps never exceed 58 degrees so it's not that either. :(

I really don't have that many mods, the only graphical ones are Skyrim 2K lite, aMidianBorn Armours and creatures, pure waters and Dynavision. The rest are gameplay changing things and Unofficial Patches.

Please, feel free to ask any questions about my setup or anything please feel free to ask/suggest a fix. At this point I am completely at a loss.

Thanks

Just for the heck of it, try using the D3D9Gen utility from here: http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34970/?

Use it to generate a custom d3d9.dll and simply drop it into your Skyrim folder (not the data folder). The game will automatically use it. Worst case scenario it doesn't do anything in which case you simply delete it.

I use it because I run ATI cards and they tend to cause wonky shadows. It's also supposed to work for nVidia cards, according to the description. Can't hurt to try, I guess.

Just a guess, but maybe an intel CPU is what you need?!

Skyrim LOVES and NEEDS a killer CPU.

I have a GTX760 2GB with over 30gigs of mod/texture "fat", and as long as I don't run like the flash, load in stutter is minimal, and pop in is normal as well. It did get worse when I installed ENBoost and SSME (skyrim memory patch), but I can understand that as my 2gig of Vram got full INSANTLY even before ENBoost and SSME! (Though the lack of crashing is worth it!!!!!!!!)

I have an i5 3670k on an MSI gaming board ("OC Genni" auto to 4ghz)

Good luck!

PS: not sure if it wil help you but here is a post thing I am doing recently as I am soooooo amazed by Mod Organizer!...

Never uninstall a mod again (unless you really don't want it anymore of coarse).
Never overwrite a file again.
Never put a mod file in your skyrim/data folder again.
Never screw-up your skyrim installation again!

You can also change your mod install order, AKA "Priority" in MO at any time.
You can even look at all the files of each mod directly compared to each other, AKA "Conflicts" in MO.
This can help you make decisions or try out combinations of "priority" yourself, and then be a **helper** to the next guy who has a similar issue.

Note: extract all BSA's during install so priority and conflict view works for all your mods. [ [:wink:] ]

Also: Always use "manual" install, so you can see the file tree and files, and re-arrange them right there if you need to (ie; don't need to do it out on "explorer/windows") to make sure you've got a correct file tree...and with whatever options you choose of the mod...if for say the mod is for manual install with choices in it's file tree.

Oh, and unlimited saves/mods/ini/priority/load order "profiles". (That's unlimited virtual modded skyrim installations, all using the same shared "mods" folder.... Really!!!)
Oh, and real time texture viewing when looking at mod file conflicts if you use the new beta. That is very useful.
Oh, and this new version also integrates BOSS and replaces BOSS GUI. You can simply right click on an esp and click "lock load order", and BOSS GUI type rules are automatically applied to your load order.

But, wait.. there's more........ [:smile:]