Pre modded Oblivion for download?

Garryjj

TL;DR: Oblivion install borked, lazy and don't want to spend a day redoing mods, wondering if there's a pre modded version of the game I can download and run "out of the box" so to speak.

I recently decided to start playing again and went back to my old install that's been sitting derelict for a year and a half. modded to hell and back, the game looked beautiful and was changed enough that it felt "fresh" (which for reference means new enemies combined with older ones, cool stuff, new gear, people, etc, not replacing the old world but...augmenting it?).

That being said, beauty and fresh can only keep the spirit of an adventurous paladin in Cyrodiil alive so long when the game crashes every 10 minutes. I tried disabling a few mods to no luck and eventually gave up, accepted my fate, and did a fresh install.

Here's the thing, I love the result of modding this game, but the process itself I'm terrible at and hate. So I'm wondering if there's like, a pre modded version of the game (doesn't matter what mods, just enough to change...as much as possible while still being stable for an hour of gameplay inbetween CTDs) available for download somewhere.

Nope, there is not. There are some compilations but not many.

Modding is not for the faint of heart and requires getting a bit educated to make it all work. Even those of us that have been doing this a LOOONG time will screw things up.

The more mods you add the less stable a game will be. When you add mods you should 1) only add and test one at a time 2) make backups of saves and files that you will be overwriting so that you can simply just put that in place and not have to do an entire re-install if something doesn't work. 3) Use mod managers and Wyre Bash and BOSS to help keep your game in order, running smoothly and to give you insight into mod order and incompatibility errors that could make your game not work.

Take a break for a while then see if you want to try again. Make sure to always read the documentation with any mods and how to install and uninstall them. Good luck and if you have questions you know where we are.

~Lisnpuppy

• 3 years later...

Well, that was a prime example of how not to do it.

Word of warning for the few who downloaded it before it was gone:

Using another person's complete data folder as-is is known to be able to damage your game. It contains files which better not be copied.

Using another person's Oblivion.ini can even damage your PC, as it contains settings specialized for only the hardware of the machine it was created on and should not be used on any other machine.

It even contains hardware addresses and codes identifying your devices. Telling the game to use different hardware than what it is can, depending on the game code, easily harm the parts.

So beware.

Besides, coming back to the OP, the mere fact a certain installation of mods works perfectly fine for someone else on their specific machine and in their specific environment, does in no way guarantee it will work the same on anybody else's, or even at all still. All folders and files correctly placed inside the data folder is only half the deal.

Mod packs in this community are frowned upon for very good reasons, and no, it is not only the lack of permissions, the inability to keep it up to date and compatible, the simple fact that adding or removing even a single mod to or from the list can easily kill it all, and the original authors no longer being able to help anybody or provide support, as nobody ever knows in what obscure and potentially dangerous ways the mod pack creator modified their individual works to make them compatible to the rest, without even a hint of an idea what all they are actually doing to the mods and their stability, as only the author can tell. No, believe it or not, but this is ultimately also for the users' sake.

• 2 years later...